George Williams - homesick?

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shame he's cut short his time in the NRL, but understandable given the reasons. Nothing to say he wont head back at some point in the next few years if theres a chance.

Not been the best season for the Raiders this year, but last year he was up there with the best half backs in the competition. 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

15 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Williams vocalising his side of the story already! Good to see and pretty bad from the Raiders if that's what has happened. 

I hope that this doesn't become a messy public slagging match as it will be a shame to end his stint like that.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Williams vocalising his side of the story already! Good to see and pretty bad from the Raiders if that's what has happened. 

That would suggest he doesn’t have a club lined up for the short term. 

I lived for many years I. Philadelphia PA and I used to get homesick for my hometown. I was happy in USA ,but still got homesick.  Now I've moved back I get the same homesickness for Phila . I never liked NY though too many  Brit Tourists with  Brummie accents . Lol 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

On 03/05/2021 at 09:06, Chrispmartha said:

Easy to write on an internet forum. Have you ever been at the other side of the world and been homesick? I can tell you it isn’t pleasant.

Seeing as he's a serviceman or was he probably has at some point and got a grip.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

I know he will be coming back to a country with a lower league profile, but I am always amazed by the compare and contrast starting point as regards lifestyle. He won’t be living in Hardybutts if he comes back to Wigan. I would have thought that the prospect of living in, say, Standish, within an hour of Liverpool and Manchester, and an hour and a bit of the Lakes with world class social, food and cultural opportunities compares very well indeed with Canberra.

If he does come back to Wigan - and given that our co-owner’s wealth increased by over 1/4 billion last year, I am guessing we could afford him. Maybe Hastings to Wests mid year as well (assuming Aussies are allowed to go back, must check that)?

4 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I know he will be coming back to a country with a lower league profile, but I am always amazed by the compare and contrast starting point as regards lifestyle. He won’t be living in Hardybutts if he comes back to Wigan. I would have thought that the prospect of living in, say, Standish, within an hour of Liverpool and Manchester, and an hour and a bit of the Lakes with world class social, food and cultural opportunities compares very well indeed with Canberra.

Don't start the UK v Oz comparisons again 😂. Nothing gets posters on here more worked up than someone questioning their gap year in Australia and it being the greatest place on earth.

According to Sticky, Georgie Boy pulled out of training and declared himself unavailable for the next weekend game.

If that is true, then it is no surprise that he was fired on the spot. Australians don't like to muck around these days.

8 minutes ago, JohnM said:

That's as maybe. This isn't about them, though. It's about Williams.

Of course it is but lets not shy away from the fact this has happened countless times with our Antipodean friends in SL. I've said in the past I think the term 'homesick' is abused by some players to get the move they want, however there are occasions (i'm thinking Trent Merrin as a recent example) where it's completely understandable and should be accepted as such. 

23 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

If he does come back to Wigan - and given that our co-owner’s wealth increased by over 1/4 billion last year, I am guessing we could afford him. Maybe Hastings to Wests mid year as well (assuming Aussies are allowed to go back, must check that)?

I mean it might be different if he was on the gold coast, or bondi, but Canberra.....

2 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Seems a legitimate enough reason to me, to want to go home and be closer to family - not least of all because they've not been back to the UK at all in over 18 months and his partner now heavily pregnant. Also, it's worth noting, for every English player that's been labelled to be homesick I could name you 3 times as many Aus/Kiwis who've had the same issues. 

I'm disappointed he's leaving from a sporting point of view but as others have eluded to, what seemed last season like the beginning of a great foundation at the Raiders has completely gone off the boil. So if George has lost a bit of confidence in the 'project' at the Raiders, i'm sure that's made his decision a little easier. Not sure if Wigan ever put the same return condition in with him as they did Bateman but Wire could be a great fit for him. 

Family? The old saying, "You can choose your friends but you can't chose your family."  

Look forwards and upwards, not backwards and downwards.  If his /her families are wishing and encouraging them to return, that is emotional blackmail and is holding back a great playing talent.  Maybe though, this is entirety his own choice. Maybe he likes wind, rain and cold.

54 minutes ago, goldcoaster said:

He asked for a release, he’s got it now. See you later.

Yet another England player who can’t hack it in Australia and flakes out mid-contract

I suggest COVID has had a big part to play in both Bateman and Williams becoming homesick.

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

Family? The old saying, "You can choose your friends but you can't chose your family."  

Look forwards and upwards, not backwards and downwards.  If his /her families are wishing and encouraging them to return, that is emotional blackmail and is holding back a great playing talent.  Maybe though, this is entirety his own choice. Maybe he likes wind, rain and cold.

Of all the angles you could have looked at this from you've gone with his/his partners family emotionally blackmailing them to go back?? Interesting. 

More likely scenario - they've not been back to the UK in over 18 months (this would never have been factored into this move). Around 6 months ago his partner became pregnant - they weren't allowed to leave even temporarily after that. Williams asked for help from the club which i'll not speculate how forthcoming that was but i'm happy to read between the lines they didn't offer much. He agreed to finish the season there because his partner said she would be happy to have their baby in Aus now her mother can fly there to support her. This isn't much deeper than that IMO. 

The Raiders paid a six figure transfer fee for him and to come over here, signed him to a long term deal and invested in them as their playmaker. George has basically said, it’s too hard and run back to the UK. Mid season. It has effectively derailed their season and has major ramifications for their roster plans.

why are people sympathetic to him? 
why would NRL clubs continue to invest in English players (which the England national team needs in order to actually try and win a series v Australia for the first time in 50 years)?

I certainly don’t want my club investing in more English players when the half a dozen English players we have brought in have all done exactly the same as Williams and flaked out mid-contract

4 hours ago, Nate90 said:

George has certainly improved over in the NRL. He has surprised everybody over there because its normally English forwards that are outstanding in the NRL and not backs,  If we get him back now we could either send Jackson home early or even Jai

Jackson is playing well.  No need for him to go now.  Willians next season a good replacement. 

As for homesick... read "his pregnant girlfriend"

Archived