George Williams - homesick?

8 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

I'm sure I read somewhere (possibly Total RL) that Zane Tetevano was signed as a marquee player

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the YEPs Pete Smith said we've only got one. If we did have another Tetevano would be a good shout.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, barnyia said:

Could he finish the season with another Aussie club? He's been released and willing to finish the season. 

Southport Tigers sign on contracted players so that may be an opportunity 

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Have you ever lived in Australia?

They have Wind Rain and Cold there you know!

Also have you experienced homesickness, I have and it is awful, maybe don’t judge people if you haven’t got a clue what they are going through.

I DO know what it it is like, I HAVE experienced it and because of it, returned to the UK prematurely, from a more prosperous country than Australia, something I have regretted for the past 48 years. Although  me and my family have done OK here, things would have been so much better had I not succumbed to the pressure to come back. 

My first granddaughter is now about to emigrate to the US to marry her fiance and she has my full support, and that of her mother, in doing so, because it's s great opportunity for her future and that transcends any selfishness, any "East Enders Grant Mitchell Fahmlee cry" on our part to have her stay. 

Anyway, I've had my say. No one will change their opinions anyway. Just like I have, Williams will have to live with the long term consequences and regrets he will experience. 

5 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Because the history book will show he left mid-season barely halfway into a three-year contact. Hardly Sam Burgess or James Graham stuff.

By this definition this means that John Bateman wasn't a success despite winning the Dally M second row of the year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Oh, right.

What award did Williams win? Is he held in the same esteem as Bateman? 

Sorry, I thought you said his lack of success is because he is leaving mid contract. Perhaps I misunderstood. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

Sorry, I thought you said his lack of success is because he is leaving mid contract. Perhaps I misunderstood. 

Bateman was an unqualified success in the NRL during his full two years IMO. Not just for his performances but also his 'battler' qualities the Aussies admire. 

Williams goes down as a little bit of a flop in my book. He hasn't been the same player in 2021 and had a habit of vanishing in games - particularly in the 'Faders' second halves. And he still hasn't put to bed the feeling that he's not really a halfback.

One thing that we need to remember: by ending it with Canberra in this way George Williams has lost a lot of money.

And George won't find another club easily to pay him what he has lost  -- unless Derek Beaumont sells one of his luxury cars and brings George in to play for Leigh -- in the desperate hope that the George Williams-Lewis Tierney-Ben Flower former Wiganers combination can save Leigh from relegation..

19 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Bateman was an unqualified success in the NRL during his full two years IMO. Not just for his performances but also his 'battler' qualities the Aussies admire. 

Williams goes down as a little bit of a flop in my book. He hasn't been the same player in 2021 and had a habit of vanishing in games - particularly in the 'Faders' second halves. And he still hasn't put to bed the feeling that he's not really a halfback.

OK, so when I asked why he was a failure you said cause he was leaving. Now it is also performance related.  Just trying to understand your stance.

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Have you ever lived in Australia?

They have Wind Rain and Cold there you know!

Also have you experienced homesickness, I have and it is awful, maybe don’t judge people if you haven’t got a clue what they are going through.

Something some posters need to remember 

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

OK, so when I asked why he was a failure you said cause he was leaving. Now it is also performance related.  Just trying to understand your stance.

Williams will be remembered for crying off home halfway through a season, sure.

58 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I DO know what it it is like, I HAVE experienced it and because of it, returned to the UK prematurely, from a more prosperous country than Australia, something I have regretted for the past 48 years. Although  me and my family have done OK here, things would have been so much better had I not succumbed to the pressure to come back. 

My first granddaughter is now about to emigrate to the US to marry her fiance and she has my full support, and that of her mother, in doing so, because it's s great opportunity for her future and that transcends any selfishness, any "East Enders Grant Mitchell Fahmlee cry" on our part to have her stay. 

Anyway, I've had my say. No one will change their opinions anyway. Just like I have, Williams will have to live with the long term consequences and regrets he will experience. 

So because you regret it Williams will.

I don’t regret moving back from Australia, everyone is different.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

I always think you shouldn't regret your decisions, who knows if your mapped out life you think would have happened may not have turned out as well as you think. Be thankful for what you have done with the life you actually had. And George Williams should look at life that way and enjoy it were ever he is. 

40 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

One thing that we need to remember: by ending it with Canberra in this way George Williams has lost a lot of money.

And George won't find another club easily to pay him what he has lost  -- unless Derek Beaumont sells one of his luxury cars and brings George in to play for Leigh -- in the desperate hope that the George Williams-Lewis Tierney-Ben Flower former Wiganers combination can save Leigh from relegation..

This is a good point and confirms further for me that Williams isn't doing this absentmindedly. I love the Raiders but fear they've handled this wrongly. 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

My mate went over in the early 90s, never liked it from day one but stopped because he thought his Mrs loved it there, 4 years later at a BBQ she just happened to mention home and how she had missed it from day one, it turned out they both had been keeping it quiet from each other that they wanted come home, within a month they'd sold up and arrived home and are still very happy.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

4 hours ago, goldcoaster said:

He asked for a release, he’s got it now. See you later.

Yet another England player who can’t hack it in Australia and flakes out mid-contract

Thats still a fraction of the number of Aussies who can't hack it in SL. Jeeze the NRL is that soft now players get 10 in the bin for brushing an opponents hair 😆

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

32 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

So because you regret it Williams will.

I don’t regret moving back from Australia, everyone is different.

Naturally, to support your opinion, you are misunderstanding my point.  As I said, I've had my say. No one is going to change their minds because of anything posted on here by anyone.

Given that one of the rules around marquee players is that they are supposed to be publicly identified it surprises me no journos have ever tried to get all the clubs on the record about who theirs are.

Leeds do I believe only have one, plus they released a wedge of salary cap last week whilst creating a half back vacancy.

Does it mean anything? Probably not!

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Naturally, to support your opinion, you are misunderstanding my point.  As I said, I've had my say. No one is going to change their minds because of anything posted on here by anyone.

Your point seemed to be that you think he is being blackmailed by his Family or that his decision is based on weather.

One is unsubstantiated nonsense the other is glib nonsense.

41 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He hasn’t been a failure,he was excellent last season as the Raiders got within 1 game of the Grand Final,he started this season well before losing some form as did most of his teammates but seemed to be regaining it after registering Dally M points in 2 of his last 3 games.

A pregnant partner unable to have family support due to the pandemic seems to have been the major factor in Williams wanting to return home,as such I don’t think he deserves the over the top criticism he’s getting from people who don’t know the facts or can appreciate the situation he finds himself in.

Good luck to the lad whatever happens. I hope he comes back to Wigan but if not then so be it. I think his decision is a brave one and one that is putting his family above his career and I can't blame him for that. I don't think he'll go short on the money front and it's not like he's coming back from working in a normal job, to then work in one here. He'll have a great lifestyle here, a great career, on fantastic money and a network of family and friends around him and his partner to offer their support. 

I couldn't get my head around some comments on here a few weeks ago where people were saying 'he'll regret it like I did' or 'what an opportunity he's throwing away' because everyone is different, peoples circumstances differ and people saying things like that didn't move 12,000 miles away from home and then see the world get hit with a pandemic, so it's impossible for anybody other than Williams and his partner to know exactly how it feels for them. 

It's been a limited spell in the NRL due to this but I think he's enhanced his reputation on the field and can walk away with his head held high. 

19 minutes ago, M j M said:

Given that one of the rules around marquee players is that they are supposed to be publicly identified it surprises me no journos have ever tried to get all the clubs on the record about who theirs are.

Leeds do I believe only have one, plus they released a wedge of salary cap last week whilst creating a half back vacancy.

Does it mean anything? Probably not!

What wedge of salary cap ?

On the Eastmond thread you told us that he was on peanuts, in fact quoting his time with Leeds had only taken around £7.5 of cap space. Given the length of season left, by your own maths Leeds will only have around £45K left to spend as a saving on Eastmond.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

24 minutes ago, JohnM said:

On the contrary, it was you who did that. You stated as a matter of fact the following.....

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Just like I have, Williams will have to live with the long term consequences and regrets he will experience. 

That is you clearly trying to lend weight to your opinion by suggesting Williams will have to do the same as you did. Out of interest, you say you lived the same experience - how so, if you don't mind me asking? I'm not questioning whether you did or didn't, more that i'd be very surprised if the circumstances were that similar.

Archived