George Williams - homesick?

5 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Given the amount of NRL players who leave their SL clubs early for various personal reasons which NRL clubs do you think SL clubs should target for players??

I don't know but is it one particular club in the NRL who's players leave mid contract, and as a percentage we have a lot less going over there as to coming here. But Wigan have been targeted recently for nrl signings and a few have left early. 

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if i was a canberra fan i wouldn't be losing too much sleep about georgie porgie running away-  totally outclassed by cleary and moses at the top level - in his last game storm didn't even have either of their first choice half backs playing and he still couldn't come up with the goods - seems to go missing in the 2nd half most games - ENGLAND WITH WILLIAMS AT HALF BACK = NOT GOOD ENOUGH= WC = NOT A CHANCE -  just like the raiders never gonna win sweet fa with him in the side- harsh but true

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

if i was a canberra fan i wouldn't be losing too much sleep about georgie porgie running away-  totally outclassed by cleary and moses at the top level - in his last game storm didn't even have either of their first choice half backs playing and he still couldn't come up with the goods - seems to go missing in the 2nd half most games - ENGLAND WITH WILLIAMS AT HALF BACK = NOT GOOD ENOUGH= WC = NOT A CHANCE -  just like the raiders never gonna win sweet fa with him in the side- harsh but true

I've never seen you post a negative comment on here.....intresting 

2 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

its fact - not negative - post plenty of positives too

5 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

what on earth do you think george williams is gonna do against munster and cleary  combined ?- answer= nothing 

I love watching the NRL and think it's a magnificent competition with high standards and enjoy watching the British lads competing over there,however family comes first so hope he gets fixed up at home quickly and sorts himself out to prove a massive a point come autumns world cup 

I thought Williams played very well last season and was doing alright this season - in a team down on confidence and not playing well.  His short kicking game is excellent (even the Aussie commentators thought so) and his general play was good enough.

It's not as though he has walked out for some mega bucks deal somewhere else (or retired to that other code) and if his head is not feeling right then I admire his honesty in saying so, rather than just taking the wage until the end of the season.

20 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

As someone has posted previously, Williams has picked up Dally M points in two out of the last three games he has played... and one of those was a loss.

He is being named by expert judges as one of the best three players on the pitch.

I know there is a narrative on here to suggest he has failed to deliver on the pitch for some reason. But he just hasn't.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

i think in williams last game the commentators last sentence was "canberra didn't have any answers" - the only first choice hb on the field was williams- he should of ruled it - he didn't  

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Williams has picked up Dally M points in two out of the last three games he has played

lets hope that gets a mention after we are crushed yet again by australia and munster and cleary later in the year - maybe we can have a little round of applause for it

35 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I don't go on this forum all that much, but assume this guy is a parody account? 

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

lets hope that gets a mention after we are crushed yet again by australia and munster and cleary later in the year - maybe we can have a little round of applause for it

I just think it is really harsh to criticise a player by saying he is not as good as the best player in the world.  You can write off hundreds of players doing that.

I am happy to have a conversation to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of certain players and I did that with Williams as soon as it was announced that he was signing for the Raiders.

But the second best player in the world may be the second best in his position if the best is also there (not saying Williams is, just an example).

If he is the best we have for England he is the best we have regardless of who plays for the Kangaroos. 

It is just a pretty lazy to argue that he isn't as good as others in his position. 

And again. It is worth repeating, he has not failed on the pitch in Australia. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Hughsehhh said:

I don't go on this forum all that much, but assume this guy is a parody account? 

He does come up with some good stuff though. 

But I will stress, you have to be patient. 

59 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Cleary seems to be outclassing most people right now in fairness.

Overall he’s done very well , he’s fitted into the systems there and basically took control of the team . He gets  them round the park and has a good kicking game , especially short kicking game . He creates a lot of tries and opportunities , and is a running threat . If I had a critique it would be he hasn’t backed himself and run a bit more . This year the Raiders have struggled and I think understandably in conjunction with that his consistency hasn’t been as good as last year , but he’s still been one of their better players and he’s been better than Wighton who is one of many Raiders who can look at themselves and their returns before Williams should . I think it’s a big big shame from a rugby point of view , but obviously there’s a lot more than that involved . 

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Overall he’s done very well , he’s fitted into the systems there and basically took control of the team . He gets  them round the park

Do you think so? For me, he’s still not the organising halfback who gets teams round the park that he ought to be at this stage of his career. 

38 minutes ago, dkw said:

Either that or a complete moron, take your pick. 

i imagine you and mr frisky were still waiting for santa and the tooth fairy when you were 16 - i however am realistic - williams will be most likely the england hb in the wc - just like in his short nrl stint he will be watching cleary and munster etc give masterclasses in half back play - he will soon be forgot in the nrl and back home be more suited to playing leigh and wakey - he gave it a go but didnt work out for various reasons

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Do you think so? For me, he’s still not the organising halfback who gets teams round the park that he ought to be at this stage of his career. 

This point is important.  I don't think Williams is an organising half back though. I think he is a player who adds creativity and a running threat.

He is the organising half at the Raiders because Wighton isn't but I think he would be miles better if he were playing the Jarome Luai type role at the Panthers alongside a Nathan Clearly organiser.

34 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

i imagine you and mr frisky were still waiting for santa and the tooth fairy when you were 16 - i however am realistic - williams will be most likely the england hb in the wc - just like in his short nrl stint he will be watching cleary and munster etc give masterclasses in half back play - he will soon be forgot in the nrl and back home be more suited to playing leigh and wakey - he gave it a go but didnt work out for various reasons

You are about as much fun as a prison door.

29 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

This point is important.  I don't think Williams is an organising half back though. I think he is a player who adds creativity and a running threat.

He is the organising half at the Raiders because Wighton isn't but I think he would be miles better if he were playing the Jarome Luai type role at the Panthers alongside a Nathan Clearly organiser.

In other words, he’s a 5/8 playing at HB. Agreed.

A problem for the Raiders, and a problem for England as he’ll likely be playing HB. Even though he isn’t one.

Not vocal enough, not ‘take the game by the scruff of the neck’ enough, for my liking.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

In other words, he’s a 5/8 playing at HB. Agreed.

A problem for the Raiders, and a problem for England as he’ll likely be playing HB. Even though he isn’t one.

Not vocal enough, not ‘take the game by the scruff of the neck’ enough, for my liking.

It may turn out that way for England.  Wane has only selected three club half backs in his squad in Lomax, Gale and Williams so we may be seeing Williams and Lomax which could reproduce the same problem that Raiders have been suffering with in that neither are strictly game management type players.

Gale plus Williams or Gale plus Lomax may be better combinations.

Archived