George Williams - homesick?

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

Jut watched the latest NRL 360 debate on George Williams and it's quite embarrassing for Paul Kent and James Hooper,

I really can’t be doing with Kent at all . He’s been given a platform on that show and he just comes across as arrogant smug and superior . He even looks down on the other journos they wheel in . Hooper has a beef about John Bateman so is probably inclined to a bit of pommie bashing in instances like this .

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's reall aggressive stuff from the media isn't it? We don't really see that here. 

It is. But doesn't look to be having the desired effect if the comments i've seen on instagram are anything to go by. Pretty much the majority of fans are hitting back at how, Hooper especially, is behaving.

They even felt the need to play some video of Williams making a couple of mistakes on the pitch as it to highlight their own opinion of his perceived impact at the Raiders.

Also a quite uncomfortable bit where they highlight the amount of Raiders players who have 'liked' Williams instagram post and almost suggesting they aren't smart enough to know what they are 'liking'.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

I really can’t be doing with Kent at all . He’s been given a platform on that show and he just comes across as arrogant smug and superior . He even looks down on the other journos they wheel in . Hooper has a beef about John Bateman so is probably inclined to a bit of pommie bashing in instances like this .

I used to dislike Kent also. Comes across as a bit of a bully sometimes, and always talking over people. But i actually changed my opinion of him when seeing him talk RL with Matty Johns and Blocker Roach on the MJ podcast. But lately he's starting to revert to the Kent of old.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

3 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Jut watched the latest NRL 360 debate on George Williams and it's quite embarrassing for Paul Kent and James Hooper, who really go after Williams with the intent of painting a certain picture of him. Only Hannah Hollis really offers something close to an unbiased view of the situation. Hooper clearly feels offended.

There really is an air of authority about these two in situations like this. Like no one else knows or understands.

Clearly all is not well at the raiders and i don't think Williams will be the last one out the door. He hasn't handled the situation as well as he could of, but these blokes seem intent on completely portraying him as the villain.

Kent & Hooper are Australia’s answer to the Chuckle Brothers,never to be taken seriously although our version talked more sense.

On 25/05/2021 at 08:14, Mr Frisky said:

I wonder what they said about when Trent Merrin left Leeds abruptly due to homesickness???🤔🤔

And Frank Paul Nuasala,Trent Barrett,Matty Johns ,Ben Barba and several others I can't recall.

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Agree with that to some extent but I absolutely love the intro to the Good Times segment 😄 Does that make me a bad person?? 

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

It's reall aggressive stuff from the media isn't it? We don't really see that here. 

That is because the English rugby league media (by contrast with the Welsh, Scottish and northern Irish rugby league media) is so weak and so desperate to avoid conflict with the tiny English rugby league fan base, that it avoids offending anyone. Gary Schofield is the exception to this English media rule.

30 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

That is because the English rugby league media (by contrast with the Welsh, Scottish and northern Irish rugby league media) is so weak and so desperate to avoid conflict with the tiny English rugby league fan base, that it avoids offending anyone. Gary Schofield is the exception to this English media rule.

We don't really see this in bigger sports than RL either in the UK

it's all come out now the truth - the whole truth and nothing but...............................george williams is petrified of mice!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 25/05/2021 at 18:52, EastLondonMike said:

Shame he's cut short his time in the NRL, but understandable given the reasons. Nothing to say he wont head back at some point in the next few years if theres a chance.

Not been the best season for the Raiders this year, but last year he was up there with the best half backs in the competition. 

I think it will be a long time before Canberra sign a British player again as they have got their fingers burnt with Williams and Bateman, and also if might put off other NRL clubs from signing British players.

10 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

I think it will be a long time before Canberra sign a British player again as they have got their fingers burnt with Williams and Bateman, and also if might put off other NRL clubs from signing British players.

It'll put them off paying transfer fees but not necessarily signing Brits.

11 hours ago, Davo5 said:

https://bit.ly/34kXIDa
Raiders looking a shambles 

That’s really interesting . You’d think Hodgson was speaking with the nod and on behalf of the players , so it’s pretty powerful . He also said about Ricky saying he loved George and all that , and that’s most interesting because it’s sort of come across ( to me anyway ) that Ricky was in the clubs camp here , with the stuff from Fox journos who know him . So his position is fascinating . Maybe he’s just stuck on the middle , I don’t know . Either way it looks a mess there 

54 minutes ago, lucky 7 said:

Maybe, but they did sign Jordan turner for about 5 minutes and that didn't put them off signing Williams, Sutton and the other young kid from Wigan (forgot his name).

They've had pretty good value from Whitehead and Hodgson (till now).

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

12 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Maybe, but they did sign Jordan turner for about 5 minutes and that didn't put them off signing Williams, Sutton and the other young kid from Wigan (forgot his name).

They've had pretty good value from Whitehead and Hodgson (till now).

Harry Rushton 

Canberra has clearly always had issues attracting players from the coastal RL areas, so I agree there's no danger they'll stop looking to the UK for talent. 

8 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Harry Rushton 

Canberra has clearly always had issues attracting players from the coastal RL areas, so I agree there's no danger they'll stop looking to the UK for talent. 

I have a vague recollection it was also something to do with losing Origin players for a few weeks (and more if injured), mid-season, and the disruption. Hence why they've always had a good percentage of Kiwi players also.

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

12 hours ago, Davo5 said:

https://bit.ly/34kXIDa
Raiders looking a shambles 

I say well done Josh Hodgson.  He has expressed that the team don't feel betrayed by Williams and will stick up for him in the media.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

More to the point, any Brit wanting to go the the NRL in the future will be put off from choosing Canberra given the way they've treated Williams.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

I've just deleted nearly two pages worth of argy bargy about health services and other off topic stuff from this thread.

On the basis that people have clearly run out of relevant things to say about the original topic, I'm locking this now.

Archived