George Williams - homesick?

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Williams will be remembered for crying off home halfway through a season, sure.

By whom? I can’t imagine anyone will care very much, especially given the circumstances. He went over there, he played well, he came home early. From what I have seen, the Raiders weren’t pinning all their hopes on him, and he will get a gig back over here. 

He will be a father and (I hope) a husband for far longer than he will be a player. On and off the pitch, it is at most a shame, but even that could be over stating it. If he comes back to us, and plays a few more GFs, and even for England, he will have had a wonderful professional career. 

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

By whom? I can’t imagine anyone will care very much, especially given the circumstances. He went over there, he played well, he came home early. From what I have seen, the Raiders weren’t pinning all their hopes on him, and he will get a gig back over here. 

He will be a father and (I hope) a husband for far longer than he will be a player. On and off the pitch, it is at most a shame, but even that could be over stating it. If he comes back to us, and plays a few more GFs, and even for England, he will have had a wonderful professional career. 

By history.

Decent first year, tailed off in his second, farked off home early.  

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

Jesus , they basically crucified him on 360

Paul Kent and the other Daily Telegraph journalist James Hooper were pretty disgusted with George Williams. And they had a point, as one said: Canberra paid a six figure transfer fee to get Williams, and yet in the midst of a club form  crisis he decides that he wants a release straight away.

Just now, Manfred Mann said:

Paul Kent and the other Daily Telegraph journalist were pretty disgusted with George Williams. And they had a point: as one said: Canberra paid a six figure transfer fee to get Williams, and yet in the midst of a club form  crisis he decides that he wants a release straight away.

Did he call him a 'whinging pom'?

9 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Paul Kent and the other Daily Telegraph journalist were pretty disgusted with George Williams. And they had a point: as one said: Canberra paid a six figure transfer fee to get Williams, and yet in the midst of a club form  crisis he decides that he wants a release straight away.

I wonder what they said about when Trent Merrin left Leeds abruptly due to homesickness???🤔🤔

7 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Indeed.

Williams has done nothing for the reputation of England halves. If anything, it's possibly worse now than before. 

How many trophies do reputations win. 

Nobody is going to come out of this looking good.

Williams will be labelled a quitter as he refuses to turn up for training and tells the Raiders that he is not going to play.  The club look like they were not able to support a player who was clearly going through a difficult time and the way they announced his immediate departure before Williams even signed the release forms comes across as petty.  

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

He requested to be released at the end of the season.

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

He requested to be released at the end of the season.

Yes, but he also refused to go to training and play in the next game.

No black and white in this conversation and the only way you would determine who is 'morally' right is to know how much support the Raiders have given Williams and that we will not really know.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Not really much to see here apart from some pettiness at the end.

Sometimes these things work out, sometimes they don't. From what I have seen of him over there he has gone well and is well respected. 

We've seen these things happen before, we'll see them happen again. And whilst people are saying Williams is out of order, he has been clear that he hasn't asked to leave immediately. The club releasing that he sent the text to the club is poor and Canberra don't come out of this well.

Oh, and the nonsense about the transfer fee is just that - they may have paid a fee, but when you bake that into the likely lower wage they will have got him for, it is hardly a big deal, and doesn't make him wanting to leave any worse.

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Oh, and the nonsense about the transfer fee is just that - they may have paid a fee, but when you bake that into the likely lower wage they will have got him for, it is hardly a big deal, and doesn't make him wanting to leave any worse.

True, but it will probably make some NRL clubs think twice about paying transfer fees in future. I was just thinking if they could put a clawback clause in any contract but don't think that would be legally enforceable 

12 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, but he also refused to go to training and play in the next game.

No black and white in this conversation and the only way you would determine who is 'morally' right is to know how much support the Raiders have given Williams and that we will not really know.

But not to finish the season,is it unreasonable to seek a short break to resolve issues at home which in all likelihood would impact his performance?

I think Canberra's actions are symptomatic of the current turmoil going on at the club and dysfunction in the dressing room. It's hard to see them taking such a stance if things were rosy. It's almost feels a knee-jerk reaction to a stressful situation. We know it's not a happy camp at the Raiders, from Tapine social media, to Papalii being dropped, and co-captains Croker and Hodgson also being dropped.

Croker and Hodgson are arguably the biggest influence on the dressing room and both have been unsanctimoniously dropped. How often do you see both captains dropped such as that, with both seemingly out the door? It's turned into a car crash there, Whitehead appears to be the only leader and if I was him i'd be looking elsewhere if he wanted to win anything in NRL

7 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

True, but it will probably make some NRL clubs think twice about paying transfer fees in future. I was just thinking if they could put a clawback clause in any contract but don't think that would be legally enforceable 

Maybe, but I'd expect they will have baked that risk into a signing - they should do really. 

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

But not to finish the season,is it unreasonable to seek a short break to resolve issues at home which in all likelihood would impact his performance?

No, I don't think it is unreasonable at all. But we don't know if that request was made or not. Or denied or not.

This is why we cannot really comment on who is in the right or wrong in these matters as almost all of it is behind closed doors.

7 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

With the regular signings from Wigan to Nrl clubs ending in early returns maybe nrl clubs would be better served looking elsewhere in the SL and not Wigan. 

Given the amount of NRL players who leave their SL clubs early for various personal reasons which NRL clubs do you think SL clubs should target for players??

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

Heart bleeds for them, it really does. Wigan put a few years and expense in to developing Harry Rushton and they got him for nowt. 

They should really give producing their own players a whirl, they might like it. 

Archived