Jump to content

George Williams - homesick?


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Easy to write on an internet forum. Have you ever been at the other side of the world and been homesick? I can tell you it isn’t pleasant.

I’m not having a pop at George; but I wouldn’t wish anyone to throw away the type of opportunity he has currently in his hands. Moving away from the Wigan/St Helens area when I was 18 (included much time living around the world) was one of the best decisions I have made. 

Edited by GeordieSaint
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I’m not having a pop at George; but I wouldn’t wish anyone to throw away the type of opportunity he has currently in his hands. Moving away from the Wigan/St Helens area when I was 18 (included much time living around the world) was one of the best decision I have made. 

bateman has thrown it away - he could have been a huge star on a giant stage and created a legacy 

  • Haha 2

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I’m not having a pop at George; but I wouldn’t wish anyone to throw away the type of opportunity he has currently in his hands. Moving away from the Wigan/St Helens area when I was 18 (included much time living around the world) was one of the best decision I have made. 

True, you never know what you might be giving up and whether that chance will come around again. That's why I look after my 2008 England RL mug! 😕 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

to be fair have got pretty homesick during the pandemic myself- sick of the bleeding sight of it 

  • Like 2

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Scubby said:

True, you never know what you might be giving up and whether that chance will come around again. That's why I look after my 2008 England RL mug! 😕 

you look after gareth hock?

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am stunned by some of the comments on here. Putting myself in Williams' shoes, would I rather be happy in the UK earning an excellent salary for a person of my age, in a dream job, or unhappy on the other side of the world with an eye-watering salary and in a higher pressure environment?

I don't think we have the right to tell someone how they should live their life. I don't think we should tell someone how they should feel or that our entertainment or expectations are more important.  No doubt the same people criticising, would preach about the importance of mental health too.

If Williams wants to come back, he will be a big addition to Super League and I thought we would all welcome that.

  • Like 5

Twitter: @TrylineUK
Latest Blog: 30 Questions for Ralph Rimmer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Easy to write on an internet forum. Have you ever been at the other side of the world and been homesick? I can tell you it isn’t pleasant.

I find homesickness staggeringly impossible. Especially as he lives in the greatest country on Earth. I'd swap him in a heartbeat and go back to Perth, or Cairns, or Brisbane, or Melbourne, or South Australia, or.... 

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I was there for 1 1/2 years in 2004/5 and it was exactly that, after work.  Soon dropped ghat habit!

yep, I did the same - so I stopped drinking and surprisingly then became tea total for a number of years... even now I only have the occasion glass of wine or cognac...

I came to the conclusion London (as in the city of) would be a great place to live if young or for a short stint...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Who is it who makes those lists, odds on it's Londoner's.

I agree. My experience of having lived in 10 different parts of central London over the years is that you need a lot of money and energy to make the most of it. Everything is available, but it has a price and not everything will be on your doorstep. A common daily commute within London would take as long as Wigan to Hull (if the M62 is open, which I know is a massive if). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

I am stunned by some of the comments on here. Putting myself in Williams' shoes, would I rather be happy in the UK earning an excellent salary for a person of my age, in a dream job, or unhappy on the other side of the world with an eye-watering salary and in a higher pressure environment?

I don't think we have the right to tell someone how they should live their life. I don't think we should tell someone how they should feel or that our entertainment or expectations are more important.  No doubt the same people criticising, would preach about the importance of mental health too.

If Williams wants to come back, he will be a big addition to Super League and I thought we would all welcome that.

While this undoubtedly true, and what is also true is that telling someone to stop being homesick because they weren't when they were in Australia lacks any kind of empathy, there is another side to the equation.

Many of us here are on the more 'mature' side of life... ok old!  And I am sure we have all been through some tough times and maybe there is some advice to give to a 26 year old; i.e. that if he pushes through the tough times he may come out the other side thinking he has done the right thing, maybe (for example) as a double Grand Final winner in the Super League and NRL and join an elite group of players.

The point I am making is that some of the toughest times I have had in my career are the one's that I have the most pride in.  Not because I was happy or motivated at the time but because I came through them and achieved some results.  Maybe saying to Williams that he should stick it out is encouraging him to see the possibility of the upside later down the line and the pride he will have in achieving it.

But respect whatever decision he makes.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

True, you never know what you might be giving up and whether that chance will come around again. That's why I look after my 2008 England RL mug! 😕 

😂

It’s a different line of argument to my previous point, but in my experience, Dunbar’s point below is absolutely spot on (less the old bit!). Seen it time and time again in my line of work. Williams will be a great asset to SL if he comes back but can’t help but feel he’ll regret it in later life. 

32 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The point I am making is that some of the toughest times I have had in my career are the one's that I have the most pride in.  Not because I was happy or motivated at the time but because I came through them and achieved some results. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

What odds on a quick exchange deal to be worked out between Wigan and Canberra - straight swop between Williams and Hastings before the end of the season?

Doubt this . Hastings will want to stay and win something in his last season

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

😂

It’s a different line of argument to my previous point, but in my experience, Dunbar’s point below is absolutely spot on (less the old bit!). Seen it time and time again in my line of work. Williams will be a great asset to SL if he comes back but can’t help but feel he’ll regret it in later life. 

 

The interesting one is James Graham, basically landed a RL job for the next decade+ in the media for the work and dedication he put in on the field. Bateman could have been the same, they absolutely love him out there. However, I do understand why some want to come back if they struggle to settle and will never knock it (particularly with Covid amplifying this).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

That’s exactly how simple it is - in the short term. Once the relatives leave for England again, it’s not simple and I suspect the same feelings will arise. 

If I was a friend of GWs, based on the term of his contract, I would say, get the family over and make them proud of you.  Chances like this do not come around too often.  Take it, review it in 3 months and then go from there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

If I was a friend of GWs, based on the term of his contract, I would say, get the family over and make them proud of you.  Chances like this do not come around too often.  Take it, review it in 3 months and then go from there.

Families can't visit Australia until next year I don't think but I get what you mean. Maybe, it is a reach out for help that was needed from GW and Canberra now know if and how they can help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

While this undoubtedly true, and what is also true is that telling someone to stop being homesick because they weren't when they were in Australia lacks any kind of empathy, there is another side to the equation.

Many of us here are on the more 'mature' side of life... ok old!  And I am sure we have all been through some tough times and maybe there is some advice to give to a 26 year old; i.e. that if he pushes through the tough times he may come out the other side thinking he has done the right thing, maybe (for example) as a double Grand Final winner in the Super League and NRL and join an elite group of players.

The point I am making is that some of the toughest times I have had in my career are the one's that I have the most pride in.  Not because I was happy or motivated at the time but because I came through them and achieved some results.  Maybe saying to Williams that he should stick it out is encouraging him to see the possibility of the upside later down the line and the pride he will have in achieving it.

But respect whatever decision he makes.

Yeah fair point. As someone who is only a few years older than Williams I have probably viewed it from a different perspective - having spent too much of my working life doing a job I didn't really enjoy and wishing I made a change sooner!

  • Like 1

Twitter: @TrylineUK
Latest Blog: 30 Questions for Ralph Rimmer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

williams is on par with someone like blake green- can hold down a jersey in the nrl but never gonna win you a premiership- will soon be forgot

  • Sad 1

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

I find homesickness staggeringly impossible. Especially as he lives in the greatest country on Earth. I'd swap him in a heartbeat and go back to Perth, or Cairns, or Brisbane, or Melbourne, or South Australia, or.... 

Are you any good at RL ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

I find homesickness staggeringly impossible. Especially as he lives in the greatest country on Earth. I'd swap him in a heartbeat and go back to Perth, or Cairns, or Brisbane, or Melbourne, or South Australia, or.... 

Easy to say, but the reality is often different. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

I find homesickness staggeringly impossible. Especially as he lives in the greatest country on Earth. I'd swap him in a heartbeat and go back to Perth, or Cairns, or Brisbane, or Melbourne, or South Australia, or.... 

I lived in oz for a few years and it was great but its certainly not the greatest country on earth - its got big social problems and a lack of culture and some of the big cities have big problems with racism and communities at odds with each other.

Canberra is notorious for being a boring place as well - each to their own but if the lad doesn't like it, that's up to him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, John C H said:

Easy to say, but the reality is often different. 

It is easy for me to say because the reality is this country is an absolute cesspit and I settled in Australia very quickly. If it was up to me I'd still be there 🤣

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

People need to wake up.  It might be is girlfriend is homesick.

Australia will not even let Aussie cricketers back into the country.  The way things are going they might it let people back into there after the world cup.   So like others, George's future mother in law must be unhappy.  

Let's not forget French and Hastings were allowed to stay as long as possible before coming back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

williams is on par with someone like blake green- can hold down a jersey in the nrl but never gonna win you a premiership- will soon be forgot

You do know that only one team at a time can win a premiership.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...