Question regarding set restart

I was wondering, what happens if a player fumbles the ball immediately before or after the referee indicates a set restart? Is the advantage still with the side in possession?

This may have happened in a match already.

I have seen instances of a team in possession losing the ball immediately after a set restart has been called.

They were penalised just as any team would be for a lost ball (in the ruck) or knock on.  I don't think that the set restart would have any grace period of advantage as a knock on or a penalty does.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

24 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have seen instances of a team in possession losing the ball immediately after a set restart has been called.

They were penalised just as any team would be for a lost ball (in the ruck) or knock on.  I don't think that the set restart would have any grace period of advantage as a knock on or a penalty does.

Yeah that definitely seems to be the case. Was either the Canberra or Bulldogs game last week where 6 again was signalled for offside and the hit up that was simultaneously unfolding was dropped cold and it was just ruled as any normal knock on. I guess that's an example where the 6 again definitely offers an advantage in terms of speed/fatigue but no actually advantage period. 

9 hours ago, hindle xiii said:

I was wondering, what happens if a player fumbles the ball immediately before or after the referee indicates a set restart? Is the advantage still with the side in possession?

When the tackled player loses control of the ball at the ruck, 6-again can`t be called. It has to be a penalty, if the ref deems the tackler guilty of an offence.

This is why refs are waiting until the ball has been played (or rolled in the UK) before signalling 6-again. Which makes it hard for them to make verbally clear the precise nature of the offence. Their mind has to be on the continuing play.

Archived