Fri 7th - Sun 9th May: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

2 minutes ago, damp squib said:

Hugo Salabio looks a handful in the middle but this Widnes defense really isn't up to much.

Didn't seem to get too many minutes in the first half, although it's difficult to keep track of when the subs come on.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

That is so true. Could end up 36-28 knowing Toulouse.

There is absolutely no chance of Widnes scoring 28 points here, and this is a team that conceded 5 tries in less than 10 minutes against Batley and lost a 14 point lead in the final 10 minutes against Newcastle. 

5 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

What do Widnes offer to the Championship?

maybe League 1 is the level now

they look out of their depth

At a similar level to Newcastle, Swinton, Whitehaven, Oldham, Dewsbury, I'd say. 

2 minutes ago, JonM said:

At a similar level to Newcastle, Swinton, Whitehaven, Oldham, Dewsbury, I'd say. 

half the division not up to it really then this year, on early showings. It looks like a two tier league is emerging

17 minutes ago, JonM said:

There is absolutely no chance of Widnes scoring 28 points here, and this is a team that conceded 5 tries in less than 10 minutes against Batley and lost a 14 point lead in the final 10 minutes against Newcastle. 

Okay, maybe not. This could get ugly.

11 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

half the division not up to it really then this year, on early showings. It looks like a two tier league is emerging

Toulouse have a squad of ex-SL and NRL players plus a handful of decent French players - likewise Featherstone have SL quality players pretty much 1-17. I don't think there's such a big difference between the remaining clubs. Reality for Widnes is that we play Newcastle, Batley or Toulouse and come up against ex-Widnes players who left for better money elsewhere. Once crowds come back, Widnes start to have a financial advantage over other Championship clubs, but that's not going to show up until next year.

5 minutes ago, JonM said:

Once crowds come back, Widnes start to have a financial advantage over other Championship clubs, but that's not going to show up until next year.

and we'll have an even bigger advantage if we're in League 1 if Swinton get their act together later on this summer, but then it's a really long road back and the future won't look great

Just now, Scubby said:

Wow, some records may be going here. Can't imagine Widnes have had too many thumpings in their history. Sad times seeing this tbh.

Oh we have. I’ve witnessed them first hand

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

I do not know why Widnes agreed to this game, they were clearly going to lose but this means all momentum from their win last week just evaporated with a dispiriting humping.

How could they have refused?

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

Wow, some records may be going here. Can't imagine Widnes have had too many thumpings in their history. Sad times seeing this tbh.

This is an improvement on the home game against Dewsbury, tbh.

Catalans beat us 76-6 IIRC and Hull have put seventy past us twice in superleague.

Archived