Sat 8th May: CCQF: Castleford Tigers v Salford Red Devils KO 17:00 (BBC)

Who will win?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Castleford Tigers
    • Salford Red Devils

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/05/21 at 16:30

I think I watched a different match to most. I found that really boring bar the last 5 mins with a not much quality on show. Gutted we lost but mcshane looked like the only decent player on the pitch. 

What frustrates me is the Salford team of the last 2 seasons would have won that easily. 

Ah well I guess it was close which shows some improvement so let's hope this carries on as we need to pick up wins quickly. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the weather helped either game today. Constant rain throughout the afternoon was going to lead to dropped balls and errors with defense on top. 

I think the "no try" still was a game changer, had Salford scored that, I think they would have had the confidence and momentum to finish the game off. 

Nice to see Daryl win a golden point cup game... 😄

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

16 minutes ago, Chris Taylor said:

I don't think the weather helped either game today. Constant rain throughout the afternoon was going to lead to dropped balls and errors with defense on top. 

I think the "no try" still was a game changer, had Salford scored that, I think they would have had the confidence and momentum to finish the game off. 

Nice to see Daryl win a golden point cup game... 😄

Again !

Well deserved man of match for McShane.  Bet he was peed off with Milner, Griffin and Watts for inviting Salford back into the game during that last 10 minutes of real time.  Fitting that his charge down and recover put the cherry on the cake in extra time. 

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

How was that not a try? The ball touched the line.

I'd be fuming if I was a Salford player / fan.

I saw this at the time and thought the video ref had made a shocking error.

The video ref missed the grounding and then said he didn't need to look at the beginning from the other angle as he had already established it wasn't a try. 

It was a shame as I thought he got all the other big decisions correct.

Surely someone could have pointed out to him where the ball had been grounded? 

2 hours ago, meast said:

Powell mouthing "Wow, wow" after Watts is sin binned for a late hit on Taylor.

Ironically and laughably, Powell would be the first and loudest coach to cry and whinge ,if that was against any of his angels,that referee's weren't protecting the ball carriers etc.

Stupid from Watts, you'd want a coach to back the officials in stamping out this part of the game!

Wonder if he will complain in semi final if Warrington get the calls could be awkward next season

1 hour ago, snapski said:

I’m biased but thought Thaler was horrific. The elbow facial was worse than either O’Brien or Watts. The messing about in the tackle was just left continue all game. 

Anyway we are through and didn’t play anything like. Thought the Salford commentary team were decent but pretty biased. 

Hi Daryl 🙂

20 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Disagree. Barrie and Terry are worse. Much worse. The three together should be a torture technique for Guantanamo Bay. 

Barrie and Terry are awful but don't laugh at their own jokes as much

11 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Well deserved man of match for McShane.  Bet he was peed off with Milner, Griffin and Watts for inviting Salford back into the game during that last 10 minutes of real time.  Fitting that his charge down and recover put the cherry on the cake in extra time. 

At one point he was doing the job of both halfbacks, hooker and fullback. 

Agree about the Salford no try, thought the referee got that wrong.

Yet again I’m just not seeing it with Danny Richardson. I thought he was poor for a lot of time at St Helens. I thought he was poor on loan at Leigh (when they played at York he was outplayed by the halfback pairing of Ben Cockayne and a part time builder!). Apart from a couple of games last season he was anonymous. I don’t know if he’s struggling with something in his life (and I really hope not) but watching him yesterday he looked and played like he’d just got out of bed. 

As for the Watts barge it’s a difficult one. How many times do we see players get clattered after distributing the ball but nothing is given? In the York vs Hull friendly I counted 10 times O’Hagan for York was belted after kicking on the last and in return the halfback for Hull FC (Sneyd I think) got the same treatment 8 times. No doubt I missed others. I guess it’s a bit like offside from the restart - 99% of the time there’s at least one player with a foot in front, but only 1% of the time it’s pulled up.

15 hours ago, AB Knight said:

Yet again I’m just not seeing it with Danny Richardson. I thought he was poor for a lot of time at St Helens. I thought he was poor on loan at Leigh (when they played at York he was outplayed by the halfback pairing of Ben Cockayne and a part time builder!). Apart from a couple of games last season he was anonymous. I don’t know if he’s struggling with something in his life (and I really hope not) but watching him yesterday he looked and played like he’d just got out of bed. 

I agree with you, I think he had a good start to his career at Saints - got into the spotlight and then levelled off. Nothing wrong with that. 

If he's going to be a better player, he couldn't be around a better bunch of coaches in Powell & Sheridan.

Daryl, thought Tom Holmes wasn't quite good enough and maybe I'm being biased, but I think Tom Holmes has a bit more too him. 

I think there's better halves in the Championship then Danny Richardson. 

Then again, I'm just a fan and don't have the insight like they do.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

It's a classic ..... and should be the grand finale of the fread.

"Thought the Salford commentary team were decent but pretty biased. "

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 09/05/2021 at 08:21, AB Knight said:

I agree. He had 1 good season at Saints, but in many of those games he was working behind a dominant pack. I can see why they went with Fages as 1st choice SH with Dodds as a replacement, rather than thrown silly money at Richardson to try and keep him.

Don't get me wrong I think there's still plenty of talent there with Richardson, but he hasn't taken that next step up to being a consistently good player week in week out, he's too erratic. Teams can carry players like that if they have several other stars who can win games week after week, but I don't think Cas have that luxury.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

10 hours ago, Chris Taylor said:

I agree with you, I think he had a good start to his career at Saints - got into the spotlight and then levelled off. Nothing wrong with that. 

If he's going to be a better player, he couldn't be around a better bunch of coaches in Powell & Sheridan.

Daryl, thought Tom Holmes wasn't quite good enough and maybe I'm being biased, but I think Tom Holmes has a bit more too him. 

I think there's better halves in the Championship then Danny Richardson. 

Then again, I'm just a fan and don't have the insight like they do.

You know, I was going to make a similar post on the Featherstone forum - there were some great championship players on show last night such as the aforementioned Tom Holmes, plus Craig Hall, Gareth Gale and for York the likes of Marcus Stock and Matty Marsh...I know some choose to play part time, some couldn’t get a SL contract or were deemed not good enough (Holmes) but they must look up from time to time at some SL players and think why have they got the gig and not me.

For me, someone like a John Davies or Marcus Stock wouldn’t look out of place in the second row at Cas. I really don’t think there’s much difference between them and someone like Massey at Cas.

BTW I’ve nothing personal against Danny Richardson, he’s achieved more in RL than I ever will I just wonder how many more chances he’ll get in the top flight.

Archived