Sat 8th May: CCQF: Hull FC v Wigan Warriors KO 14:30 (BBC)

Who will win?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/05/21 at 14:00

28 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Or he had one of those days. He has been superb so far, and, who knows he might be playing well while you are re watching today’s game in a few months, as the high point of your year. 🙂 

Don't disagree with that.

As you say, who knows?

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Come on, it’s been torrential and very cold.  No way was this ever going to be an open game.

Anyway, I’m cycling round your way tomorrow Johnny.  If your out tying the horses down I’ll drop you a bottle off.

there were no open games before the summer rugby era?  there is something gone very wrong with the game thats made it poor to watch - prob more than one thing- prob a number of things- a bottle of what?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

18 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

Can't really have any complaints there. Hull were by far the better side on the day and had a few calls go against them too. I said before the game that I had worries that it would turn out like the cup game against Leeds last year and rightly so. It's been the weakness of the Wigan pack for so many years that we lack a really dominant forward and all our props tend to be very workmanlike but not particularly big threats. Satae caused all sorts of problems and the Wigan front row has no one to match that.

Liam Byrne had an absolute shocker, which can happen to young players, but what is blatantly obvious is that he's not ready to be a key forward - yet that's the role he has. He's had games like this before and you've got to be patient but patience doesn't mean that you just start them every game and hope it works out. As soon as Wigan went behind it was hard to see any way to really change the outcome.

Also a bad day for Hardaker and French to have shockers too. For all the stick that young Hanley got from Wigan fans for his performances, Hanley may have made more errors but French has made far more costly ones. He should be more than capable of putting in solid performances on the wing but I suspect he'll be back at fullback for the next game.

The only positive for Wigan was Harry Smith. All in all a poor performance from Wigan but well done to Hull and to Brett Hodgson.

Byrne played badly.  Yes.  But we gifted possession for position and paid the price.  I do not see it as 1 pack better than another.  By making errors then no pack can get a roll on.

Where Wigan miss is the hooker. 

14 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

With the weather we’ve had overnight and this morning it was never going to be an open game but it doesn’t matter it was a Hull FC win against a very determined side.  

The Bar is now officially open 🍺🍺🍺🥃

I've got a case of Great Newsome ales in the kitchen.

They'll be lucky if any of them see the dawn.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

49 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Best thing about that was a Polynesian won man of the match. 

Beat me to it.

Looked very motivated for some reason.

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

there were no open games before the summer rugby era?  there is something gone very wrong with the game thats made it poor to watch - prob more than one thing- prob a number of things- a bottle of what?

It used to be said that a pack gets you to the Cup and backs who win the final.  The Cup started in February ... I remember Oldham beating Wigan in the last minute at a snow covered freezing night at the Watersheddings

1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

It used to be said that a pack gets you to the Cup and backs who win the final.  The Cup started in February ... I remember Oldham beating Wigan in the last minute at a snow covered freezing night at the Watersheddings

That was a long cold winter.

42 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Hats off the FC, they were far better on the day. With a team as light and young as ours, there will be days like this - happily we don’t have to play at a damp Headingley every week... FC could go a long way, as they are well balanced, and look well coached. I am not sure I would want to watch many more FC - Wigan matches.

Having been lucky enough to watch all of our matches this year, the last 2 have been a difficult watch, with the odd ray of sunlight. From what I have seen so far, there is very little between the teams left in the competition. 

Great to see Manfredi back, God willing he will keep fit and well. 

Good luck to FC, hope they kick on. 

Superb player Manfredi, all the best to him.

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Byrne played badly.  Yes.  But we gifted possession for position and paid the price.  I do not see it as 1 pack better than another.  By making errors then no pack can get a roll on.

Powell isn't a problem. He's been one of Wigan's best players in the last couple of years. Not much a hooker can do if the pack struggles to make ground in contact and that's always been our weakness. Our biggest props (Byrne and Singleton) aren't good or consistent metre makers and they were our starters. You look at our other middles; Havard, Bullock, Partington and Shorrocks - Havard is the best of a bad bunch but too young to be relied upon game after game to be our best. Partington isn't big enough to make ground, Shorrocks is incredibly underrated but his strength is his ball playing and Bullock has been poor since the start of the year.

3 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

Powell isn't a problem. He's been one of Wigan's best players in the last couple of years. Not much a hooker can do if the pack struggles to make ground in contact and that's always been our weakness. Our biggest props (Byrne and Singleton) aren't good or consistent metre makers and they were our starters. You look at our other middles; Havard, Bullock, Partington and Shorrocks - Havard is the best of a bad bunch but too young to be relied upon game after game to be our best. Partington isn't big enough to make ground, Shorrocks is incredibly underrated but his strength is his ball playing and Bullock has been poor since the start of the year.

Wrong.

8 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Errors start everything.  Especially when unforced

Not as many as Wigan I'd grant you but Hull made plenty of errors too. It was the only thing that stopped them wrapping up the game much earlier. For me, Hull's forward dominance decided the outcome.

25 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

C’mon,I’m not Powell’s biggest fan but Cameron  Smith would struggle playing in our pack,our middle forwards just don’t make metres.

2 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Not as many as Wigan I'd grant you but Hull made plenty of errors too. It was the only thing that stopped them wrapping up the game much earlier. For me, Hull's forward dominance decided the outcome.

No.  Wigan gave 2 huge unforced errors u set the sticks to offer 2 tries.

The more errors you make the more you don't get a chance to take steam out of the opponents.

5 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

C’mon,I’m not Powell’s biggest fan but Cameron  Smith would struggle playing in our pack,our middle forwards just don’t make metres.

No.  Errors made it easy for Hull.  Powell is too flat footed.  I'm  not slagging him off, he does good things.  But he rarely gets a move on himself and he rarely gets his pack on a roll on.   Obviously once a team do get a roll on then the hooker can get a move on himself.

Happy to see him improve. 

6 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

No.  Errors made it easy for Hull.  Powell is too flat footed.  I'm  not slagging him off, he does good things.  But he rarely gets a move on himself and he rarely gets his pack on a roll on.   Obviously once a team do get a roll on then the hooker can get a move on himself.

Happy to see him improve. 

If you don’t think Wigan’s problem is a lack of go forward by our middles you must be watching a different sport.

49 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

The ref spoke at times to Farrell.

Well, whoever it was, the didn't do much of a job motivating the troops. Sure, Hull stopped Wigan from playing and don't want to take that away from them, but where was the on field leadership and from whom?  

Wasn't the most exciting game. Very attritional with neither team wanting to throw it about much. I'm thrilled with the standard of our defence this year though. Night and day from the last few seasons. Our pack and Satae in particular bullied Wigan. There wasn't a moment in that game were I felt we were not in control.

Havard, Partington, Byrne, Shorrocks and Smithies in another era would have been playing in the A team with one of them getting a game every few weeks. Now they are among the mainstays in the current pack and they are going to be found out in this type of game. Wigan lack an “enforcer” and also an impact player such as a Ben Murdoch-Masila. Smithies has got to learn that it’s not macho to be hitting players late and giving away penalties. 
Hull, like Leeds last year, played the conditions well and deserved to win.

55 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Well, whoever it was, the didn't do much of a job motivating the troops. Sure, Hull stopped Wigan from playing and don't want to take that away from them, but where was the on field leadership and from whom?  

I think the official captain is injured. 

20 minutes ago, Jinking Jimmy said:

Havard, Partington, Byrne, Shorrocks and Smithies in another era would have been playing in the A team with one of them getting a game every few weeks. Now they are among the mainstays in the current pack and they are going to be found out in this type of game. Wigan lack an “enforcer” and also an impact player such as a Ben Murdoch-Masila. Smithies has got to learn that it’s not macho to be hitting players late and giving away penalties. 
Hull, like Leeds last year, played the conditions well and deserved to win.

Wigan beat Hull last week.  Just saying.

Archived