Sat 8th May: CCQF: Hull FC v Wigan Warriors KO 14:30 (BBC)

Who will win?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/05/21 at 14:00

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, MZH said:

Wasn't the most exciting game. Very attritional with neither team wanting to throw it about much. I'm thrilled with the standard of our defence this year though. Night and day from the last few seasons. Our pack and Satae in particular bullied Wigan. There wasn't a moment in that game were I felt we were not in control.

Oddly enough, I was happy enough for the first 25 minutes, and it was only when we went 2 scores behind I thought we were toast. In every other game - including the one we won against FC last week - we have not dominated in the forwards, and relied on resilience, greater mobility and fitness from having 8 second rowers to pull away. Today, our errors, the many interruptions and the balance of possession mitigated against that approach. Youth, speed of the game, being slightly off and FC won the day - there wasn’t much between the sides over the 2 games. I don’t think bullied is the right word, but to the victor the spoils. 

3 hours ago, Futtocks said:

What were your objections? I've always rated Hodgson as an intelligent player who'd go well in coaching.

Hull FC are a big club - and Brett Hodgson is an L-Plate coach at First Grade level having coached the Western Suburbs magpies in the NSW Comp. In addition, his ties in the UK were with Huddersfield and Warrington. that's important in the sense that Adrian Lamb, as an example, was a Wigan player before being appointed first grade coach so for an overseas coach would know something about the history, tradition and expectations at the club. So in short, is a bit of a punt to take on an inexperienced overseas coach with no prior connection with the club.,

That said, he does appear to have changed the culture at Hull such as the line about respect to all club employees from chairman to tea lady which perhaps says quite a bit about the culture under his predecessors.

If Hull FC do reach their potential under him and establish themselves not only as the primary club east of the pennines but bring in a bit of silverware then as a Campbelltown boy he might be putting himself into the conversation for the West Tigers head coaching job or another NRL club in future.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Oddly enough, I was happy enough for the first 25 minutes, and it was only when we went 2 scores behind I thought we were toast. In every other game - including the one we won against FC last week - we have not dominated in the forwards, and relied on resilience, greater mobility and fitness from having 8 second rowers to pull away. Today, our errors, the many interruptions and the balance of possession mitigated against that approach. Youth, speed of the game, being slightly off and FC won the day - there wasn’t much between the sides over the 2 games. I don’t think bullied is the right word, but to the victor the spoils. 

I didn't really see last week that way. I always felt like we were on the back foot in that game and even when we were ahead I felt like we were hanging on. I never felt that way today. Once we hit the front I thought we controlled the game well. Perhaps bullied is an exaggeration, but we definitely found yards down the middle much easier to come by than you did imo. We played the conditions well and I felt your lack of size in the pack showed with the weather making it difficult to move the ball quickly.

Two teams that will be there or there abouts this season though.

I think Hull are not to far away from the standard we need to be if we want to win things. At our best I'd back us against anyone. Some things still to improve but there are lots of good signs. The challenge now for us is being able to set those standards every week, which is what has set the likes of yourselves and Saints apart in recent seasons.

39 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Hull FC are a big club - and Brett Hodgson is an L-Plate coach at First Grade level having coached the Western Suburbs magpies in the NSW Comp. In addition, his ties in the UK were with Huddersfield and Warrington. that's important in the sense that Adrian Lamb, as an example, was a Wigan player before being appointed first grade coach so for an overseas coach would know something about the history, tradition and expectations at the club. So in short, is a bit of a punt to take on an inexperienced overseas coach with no prior connection with the club.,

That said, he does appear to have changed the culture at Hull such as the line about respect to all club employees from chairman to tea lady which perhaps says quite a bit about the culture under his predecessors.

If Hull FC do reach their potential under him and establish themselves not only as the primary club east of the pennines but bring in a bit of silverware then as a Campbelltown boy he might be putting himself into the conversation for the West Tigers head coaching job or another NRL club in future.

Actually he was somewhat known to the club. He spent time working with the full backs as a sort of consultant before he went back to Australia. 

I think he just really impressed the club at his interview with his attention to detail and his vision for the club.

The stuff about respect of all club employees is something he spoke about on the coaching manual on Sky.

Being polite to all the staff regardless of how you may be feeling. Not leaving rubbish in the changing rooms after a game etc. He is a big believer that the discipline you need to be a good rugby player should start with your everyday life. If you cut corners in your normal day to day business then that will inevitably transfer on to the field.

5 hours ago, Futtocks said:

How revealing.

In what way?

I get sick and tired of people who just post laughing emoticons at somebody's post, presumably because they can't argue with it but want to object in some way without getting into a discussion that they know they'll probably lose.

And, I'm sorry but it seems to me that it's nearly always Wigan fans on here and most often the two posters I quoted.

As for today's game, I was naturally thrilled with the outcome, not least because I didn't expect anything like it. Hull's forwards were tremendous, especially the Polynesian trio. I was still nervous towards the last couple of minutes as I felt it wasn't beyond the realms of possibility that Wigan might nick it.

EW's post earlier in this thread may well be very accurate in that this game might be the highlight of our season but I hope not. Ending Wigan's 100% start gives us Hull fans a nice feeling but the season's only a month and a half old and no trophies have been won yet.

I'm hoping that you Cherry and Whites will be rooting for us on June 5th.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

And, in a kind of appropriate manner, this is how we celebrated...

May be an image of food

8 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

In what way?

I get sick and tired of people who just post laughing emoticons at somebody's post, presumably because they can't argue with it but want to object in some way without getting into a discussion that they know they'll probably lose.

And, I'm sorry but it seems to me that it's nearly always Wigan fans on here and most often the two posters I quoted.

As for today's game, I was naturally thrilled with the outcome, not least because I didn't expect anything like it. Hull's forwards were tremendous, especially the Polynesian trio. I was still nervous towards the last couple of minutes as I felt it wasn't beyond the realms of possibility that Wigan might nick it.

EW's post earlier in this thread may well be very accurate in that this game might be the highlight of our season but I hope not. Ending Wigan's 100% start gives us Hull fans a nice feeling but the season's only a month and a half old and no trophies have been won yet.

I'm hoping that you Cherry and Whites will be rooting for us on June 5th.

It is revealing that, with post after post of intemperate and OTT rants, anything vaguely standing up for the opposing viewpoint immediately (and lazily) gets the WDL label slapped on it. I admit that there are some fans of my club who take advantage of this to ridicule the more deranged opinions, and there is a much smaller minority who really are just partisan club trolls. You get those everywhere. Yes, even at your club, whoever's reading this.

But there really isn't a sinister cabal of power-brokers who are bent on the downfall of your club, whichever club you support. Thinking that way is going down the Trump route of entitled infantilism.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

I think the official captain is injured. 

He is indeed.   and you could tell he was absent.  his deputy, if there was one, was not evident in that role. 

1 hour ago, MZH said:

I didn't really see last week that way. I always felt like we were on the back foot in that game and even when we were ahead I felt like we were hanging on. I never felt that way today. Once we hit the front I thought we controlled the game well. Perhaps bullied is an exaggeration, but we definitely found yards down the middle much easier to come by than you did imo. We played the conditions well and I felt your lack of size in the pack showed with the weather making it difficult to move the ball quickly.

Two teams that will be there or there abouts this season though.

I think Hull are not to far away from the standard we need to be if we want to win things. At our best I'd back us against anyone. Some things still to improve but there are lots of good signs. The challenge now for us is being able to set those standards every week, which is what has set the likes of yourselves and Saints apart in recent seasons.

Consistency, too, is needed by both clubs, I reckon. 

Thought the first half was pretty poor in terms of quality, both sides made some shocking errors. Wigan's chance seemed to come and go with the sin-binning: they did absolutely nothing during that period, and after half-time Hull cut out most of the errors and were very much deserved winners.

It will be interesting to see how Lam sorts out the Hardaker-French situation. Somehow Wigan have ended up with their two most dangerous players both playing the same position, and French had a pretty uncomfortable afternoon.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Not sure if I've seen Danny Houghton's name mentioned on here but I thought he was terrific. Everyone knows his defensive capabilities but it looks like Hodgson has him pinching easy yards up the middle again when the markers aren't quite square. He used to do this regularly but seems only to have carried on in the last couple of games.

And I recall posting on here that I never wanted to see Adam Swift in a Hull shirt again some time back. 

As usual, somebody proves me wrong again.

2 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Not sure if I've seen Danny Houghton's name mentioned on here but I thought he was terrific. Everyone knows his defensive capabilities but it looks like Hodgson has him pinching easy yards up the middle again when the markers aren't quite square. He used to do this regularly but seems only to have carried on in the last couple of games.

And I recall posting on here that I never wanted to see Adam Swift in a Hull shirt again some time back. 

Proved happily wrong, I am sure. I have a hooped top from the Kelvin Skerrett era somewhere which I will try and dig out for the semi, and hope that will be a higher point than yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I have a hooped top from the Kelvin Skerrett era somewhere which I will try and dig out for the semi, and hope that will be a higher point than yesterday. 

You'll be half way there if it still fits you.

I'll hold my hands up and admit that Hull were very good and were worthy winners.

Wigan were not at the standard we expect from them but how much of that was because of the opposition?

Who knows but this was a knock out quarter final where you don't get another chance and Wigan knew that.

It wasn't a thrilling spectacle. There's no reason at all why Hull should give a monkeys about that.

14 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

It was great to see the trademark scoots back in Danny Houghton's game and you're right, he was outstanding.

The signing of Adam Swift was a bit of a headscratcher for me too but he's really shown us his backside. Been a revelation this season.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 08/05/2021 at 15:20, bobbruce said:

That wouldn’t matter it’s a specific rule that the third man in can’t hit below the knee

Show me it?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 08/05/2021 at 16:11, Hate the rec said:

Hardaker couldn't kick my aris, must be the worst kicker in Wigan history .

Jimmy Birts will hold that record for a long while.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

10 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

From June last year.  Number 7 as you scroll down.

https://www.rugby-league.com/2020_law_changes

And here lies the problem, if you go to the Laws of the Game, you will not find it in there.  These things are brought in but then drift out of fashion, if its a problem then it should be in the notes in the laws as a specific case.

They bring things in as 'interpretations' to deal with a specific problem but then it just gets lost in the noise.

A good example of the Laws not being kept in line is ball stealing, the Laws of the game as currently published say in the notes on tackle & play the ball:-

Stealing ball 9. Where a player steals the ball from a player on whom he is effecting a tackle, play will be allowed to continue. Where two or more players are effecting the same tackle - irrespective of whether all but one “drops off” the tackle, and the ball is subsequently taken from the tackled player, a penalty will be awarded against the player or players effecting the tackle.

Yet the current 'interpretation is completely different as we are allowing a ball steal after a player or players have "dropped off" the tackle.

My all time favourite FC team: 

1 Prescott 

2 Eastwood

3 Schofield 

4 Leuluai

5 O’Hara 

6 Topliss 

7 Sterling 

8 Skerrett (the older) 

9 Houghton 

10 Taylor (I know they have had better, but I loved him at Wigan) 

11 Crane 

12 Jason Smith

13 Knocker 

Archived