Sat 8th May: CCQF: Hull FC v Wigan Warriors KO 14:30 (BBC)

Who will win?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull FC
    • Wigan Warriors

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/05/21 at 14:00

44 minutes ago, Padge said:

And here lies the problem, if you go to the Laws of the Game, you will not find it in there.  These things are brought in but then drift out of fashion, if its a problem then it should be in the notes in the laws as a specific case.

They bring things in as 'interpretations' to deal with a specific problem but then it just gets lost in the noise.

A good example of the Laws not being kept in line is ball stealing, the Laws of the game as currently published say in the notes on tackle & play the ball:-

Stealing ball 9. Where a player steals the ball from a player on whom he is effecting a tackle, play will be allowed to continue. Where two or more players are effecting the same tackle - irrespective of whether all but one “drops off” the tackle, and the ball is subsequently taken from the tackled player, a penalty will be awarded against the player or players effecting the tackle.

Yet the current 'interpretation is completely different as we are allowing a ball steal after a player or players have "dropped off" the tackle.

Referees are just giving what they think on these 2 issues plus the PTB farce.

Personally, I believe the ball steal is a dangerous option.  The wrong Ref and it’s a penalty.  Clubs will know who’s allowing it and who isn’t but it’s taking a chance.

The PTB is simple enough to understand and a tackling Law, ‘below the shoulder and above the knee’ would be clear enough.  

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Padge said:

And here lies the problem, if you go to the Laws of the Game, you will not find it in there.  These things are brought in but then drift out of fashion, if its a problem then it should be in the notes in the laws as a specific case.

They bring things in as 'interpretations' to deal with a specific problem but then it just gets lost in the noise.

A good example of the Laws not being kept in line is ball stealing, the Laws of the game as currently published say in the notes on tackle & play the ball:-

Stealing ball 9. Where a player steals the ball from a player on whom he is effecting a tackle, play will be allowed to continue. Where two or more players are effecting the same tackle - irrespective of whether all but one “drops off” the tackle, and the ball is subsequently taken from the tackled player, a penalty will be awarded against the player or players effecting the tackle.

Yet the current 'interpretation is completely different as we are allowing a ball steal after a player or players have "dropped off" the tackle.

Oh, Padge!  You are absolutely right, but please don't get me going!

I have, over the years, followed various team games - ice hockey, shinty, GAA and so on.  What they all have in common is that, if you make the effort to read the laws or rules of play, and then watch a game, you understand why the match officials intervene when they do.  You may not agree with their interpretation of a particular incident or passage of play, in all cases - was that really a cross-check in the ice hockey match you are watching? - but you understand that is what the official could reasonably have thought it to be.

Of the sports I follow, rugby league uniquely both has laws that are not enforced, for no obvious reason, and those in which the absolute opposite of what the law actually says is what is, in practice, enforced.

But as I say, don't get me going...!

On 08/05/2021 at 21:48, Old Frightful said:

In what way?

I get sick and tired of people who just post laughing emoticons at somebody's post, presumably because they can't argue with it but want to object in some way without getting into a discussion that they know they'll probably lose.

And, I'm sorry but it seems to me that it's nearly always Wigan fans on here and most often the two posters I quoted.

As for today's game, I was naturally thrilled with the outcome, not least because I didn't expect anything like it. Hull's forwards were tremendous, especially the Polynesian trio. I was still nervous towards the last couple of minutes as I felt it wasn't beyond the realms of possibility that Wigan might nick it.

EW's post earlier in this thread may well be very accurate in that this game might be the highlight of our season but I hope not. Ending Wigan's 100% start gives us Hull fans a nice feeling but the season's only a month and a half old and no trophies have been won yet.

I'm hoping that you Cherry and Whites will be rooting for us on June 5th.

It's a tough call, I've got a friend who is a Cas fan...  there is of course no accounting for taste.

18 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

My all time favourite FC team: 

1 Prescott 

2 Eastwood

3 Schofield 

4 ??? (Can I play Briscoe there?)

5 O’Hara 

6 Topliss 

7 Sterling 

8 Kelvin 

9 Houghton 

10 Taylor (I know they have had better, but I loved him at Wigan) 

11 Crane 

12 Jason Smith

13 Knocker 

Some good players missing out from that selection (Lee Crooks, Richard Swain, Clive Sullivan etc.), but it would be a very tough team to beat.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Some good players missing out from that selection (Lee Crooks, Richard Swain, Clive Sullivan etc.), but it would be a very tough team to beat.

We might need Lee to fill in if Crane goes walk about. I may have this wrong, but I thought of Clive Sullivan more as a red Robin than an Airlie Bird... 

19 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

1 Prescott 

2 Eastwood

3 Schofield 

5 O’Hara 

6 Topliss 

7 Sterling 

8 Kelvin 

9 Houghton 

11 Crane 

12 Jason Smith

13 Knocker 

Kelvin who ? Trevor Skerrett played for FC not Kelvin.

19 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

1 Prescott 

2 Eastwood

3 Schofield 

5 O’Hara 

6 Topliss 

7 Sterling 

8 Skerrett (the older) 

9 Houghton 

11 Crane 

12 Jason Smith

13 Knocker 

Tommy Leuluai's dad might be a shout for centre?

I thought the Lam interview after the game was telling. He looked shell shocked and moaned about Wigan not playing the Wigan way. Surely that is up to him.

It is noticable how some are criticising Wigan being boring when they have played similar under Madge and then Wayne and now Lam. Perhaps that is now the Wigan way?

Archived