Fri 7th May: CCQF: St Helens v Huddersfield Giants KO 20:15 (Sky Sports)

Who will win?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/05/21 at 19:45

Discuss the Betfred Challenge Cup quarter final:

Fri 7th May: St Helens v Huddersfield Giants KO 20:15 (Sky Sports)
(at Emerald Headingley, Leeds)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huddersfield looked strong defensively in the same fixture a couple of weeks back but I haven't seen any of their other games so not too sure what to expect. I imagine a tough close game similar to that one either way so tough to call.

Should have a strong team available, think we're just missing Bentley (after his leg break last week) and Knowles from the first 13 now and plenty of experience off the bench. Just hoping we cut out some of the unforced errors and penalties that have been a common feature for us so far this season, and move the ball a bit quicker. Don't think we'll see much of the latter until we sort the former though unfortunately.

We have Makinson and Thompson back from injury and Batchelor hasn’t been banned for hitting out at a Leigh player, so it’s a little less bleak than it looked a few days ago. That said, we’ll still be without Bentley for some time with his leg break, Matautia is possibly going to miss out because of a HIA vs Leigh and Knowles remains out.

I’m not particularly confident. We’ve not played particularly well so far this season, we’re efficient and getting the job done but barely look like getting out of second gear, let alone having another couple of gears to go up and Huddersfield have been our toughest test so far and are improving weekly, so given we’re going to be a bit lighter in the pack than we’d like, I’m fearful that Huddersfield’s pack could get on top, as they’re a decent pack still gelling together. 

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

We have Makinson and Thompson back from injury and Batchelor hasn’t been banned for hitting out at a Leigh player, so it’s a little less bleak than it looked a few days ago. That said, we’ll still be without Bentley for some time with his leg break, Matautia is possibly going to miss out because of a HIA vs Leigh and Knowles remains out.

I’m not particularly confident. We’ve not played particularly well so far this season, we’re efficient and getting the job done but barely look like getting out of second gear, let alone having another couple of gears to go up and Huddersfield have been our toughest test so far and are improving weekly, so given we’re going to be a bit lighter in the pack than we’d like, I’m fearful that Huddersfield’s pack could get on top, as they’re a decent pack still gelling together. 

What do St Helen’s supporters generally feel about Christian Wolf as a coach?

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

3 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Defensively, an incredible coach. Our defence is as good as I have ever seen it. Shows the players have a great discipline and trust in the coach (which reflects well on Woolf).

In attack, we are far more limited than we were under Holbrook. That places us at risk if we have an off day in defence because we often do not seem clinical and can revert to bludgeoning our way through rather than using skill.

Woolf inherited a brilliant squad so didn't have to turn us around. Saying that, he won back to back titles, which is not often done. I doubt we would have won the Grand Final in 2020 under Holbrook as our defence would have cracked.

Generally, he's doing a good job and achieving his brief, but there are concerns about our attack and we aren't as entertaining to watch as we were. 

On to the game itself, Thompson, Matautai, Batchelor and Makinson are all available and there were concerns they would be out. That gives me more confidence about the game.

We narrowly beat Huddersfield two weeks ago and this is a banana skin. If we play to our best, we'll be fine. We cannot afford a display as indisciplined as last week though.

2 minutes ago, RayCee said:

We’re champions, aren’t we? 

I think it’s a bit of a complex really. While we’re champions, it’s been a strange year or so under Woolf. We started last year poorly, what with the WCC and inevitable hangover that causes, and we had quite a few changes in the early rounds.

Then Covid hit, when we come back we hit the ground running and the rule changes seemed to suit us and we went on to win the Grand Final. 

This year, again we’ve had some injuries and I think we’re yet to name the same seventeen from one week to the next and have had injuries but we’ve not started that well this year and have not really put many good or eighty minute performances in whilst playing Wakefield, Salford, Leigh and Hull KR, all clubs you’d think will be in or around the bottom four, Leeds with all their injuries and Huddersfield, who hadn’t won a game at the point we played them. I think there’s a bit of a fear that when we face a decent, organised side, we could come unstuck. 

Giants have pretty much the same squad as last week.  Owen Trout replaces Oli Russell, so can't see any changes to the match day 17.

Giants in their joint bet form of the season.

I think we will nick this one against Saints. May not be a classic but think our guts and determination will get us over the line.

Giants by 4pts.

I think for Saints a lot may depend on the fitness of some of the players that have been named in the squad. Percival still doesn't look fit, Makinson hasn't played for the last 2 weeks, Thompson has been carrying a foot injury for weeks and missed last week because of it, and Knowles hasn't played since the GF last year.

If those 4 are over their injuries and fit then it puts Saints in a lot stronger position than I thought they would be in for this game.

The big decision for Woolf is who to leave out, particularly in the backs. Personally I think Welsby will drop to the bench and Dodd will miss out as Woolf usually runs with 3 forwards and only 1 back on the bench. I also don't think he'll risk Knowles in this game unless he's 100% over his injury.

My guess at the Saints team would be;

Coote, Makinson, Naiqama, Percival, Grace, Lomax, Fages, Walmsley, Roby, Amor, Thompson, Mata'utia, LMS

Subs - Welsby, Paasi, Batchelor, Smith

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

16 hours ago, RayCee said:

Take away the GF win id say dull. He hasn’t had much contact with the crowd, so he won’t know that Saints fan’s will soon get on his back if they’re not happy with his style of play. 

On 04/05/2021 at 21:31, RayCee said:

Good, lost 2 assistants though with long being a big loss in attack, plus he told leeds how to shut us down and our weakness in defence.

We should improve now knowles is back however bentleys a big loss

Isn't it time to draft in either French or Australian Officials to referee Saints games, especially important cup ties. 

Expect another forum bag of concerns from neutrals and opposition fans about the way St Helens manipulate their fixtures.

How the officials let em get away with it is open to debate? 🤦‍♂️

Good luck Fartown, you'll need it.

26 minutes ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Isn't it time to draft in either French or Australian Officials to referee Saints games, especially important cup ties. 

Expect another forum bag of concerns from neutrals and opposition fans about the way St Helens manipulate their fixtures.

I am sure there must be helplines for this kind of baseless obsession petal.

3 hours ago, Ramon Rojo said:

I see someone's got his little frilly "I hate Saints" panties in a twist again 🤣

Do Saints have injuries? if so then we will win cos of that, if they don't they'll win.

Though reading the thoughts of the Saints fans these days they aren't happy with a win, they consider it a failure and boring if it isn't a thumping free flowing victory - spoilt gets 🙂

17 hours ago, Ramon Rojo said:

A girl from St Helens must’ve dumped you Ramon for you to be so bitter. Take it on the chin, rip up all the photos you have still have of her. Tear down all the wallpaper of your ex-St Helens girlfriend, that you got specially printed. Give her clothes to charity, they don’t suit you anymore. I’m sure places who do tattoos will be able to change the name of your Ex going across your forehead, and instead ask for a tattoo of your favourite horse, car, Tv personality to go over it.

13 hours ago, daz39 said:

Though reading the thoughts of the Saints fans these days they aren't happy with a win, they consider it a failure and boring if it isn't a thumping free flowing victory - spoilt gets 🙂

I don't think anybody considers it a failure to not get a 'thumping' win but I'm interested to know why you think supporters are spoilt for wanting to see entertaining rugby. Is spectator sport not meant to be entertaining?

Nothing wrong with high quality defensive play or an attritional battle but I'm not sure how it's 'spoilt' to want to see a bit more ball movement and invention in attack.

Anyone with eyes can see that post-Holbrook Saints have a style built around defense and efficiency so when you couple it with topping the penalty count and being second for errors this season (which is amazing considering the conservative approach), I don't think it's particularly surprising that supporters want to be entertained a bit more for their £300 season tickets and/or Sky subscriptions.

Fair play to you if you get your kicks from looking at the final result of a game, but I'd like to enjoy the 80 minutes, win, lose or draw. If that makes me a spoilt Saints fan then guilty as charged I guess.

17 hours ago, daz39 said:

Do Saints have injuries? if so then we will win cos of that, if they don't they'll win.

Its enjoyable to watch Saints keep winning, of course it is, but watching Saints isn't as entertaining under Wolfe as it was under Holbrook.

Don't get me wrong i'd rather them play dull rugby and win than play Harlem globetrotter stuff every week and lose, but the squad we have is capable of playing more entertaining rugby than they do and be capable of winning most weeks

Archived