Fri 7th May: CCQF: St Helens v Huddersfield Giants KO 20:15 (Sky Sports)

Who will win?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/05/21 at 19:45

5 hours ago, Moove said:

I don't think anybody considers it a failure to not get a 'thumping' win but I'm interested to know why you think supporters are spoilt for wanting to see entertaining rugby. Is spectator sport not meant to be entertaining?

Nothing wrong with high quality defensive play or an attritional battle but I'm not sure how it's 'spoilt' to want to see a bit more ball movement and invention in attack.

Anyone with eyes can see that post-Holbrook Saints have a style built around defense and efficiency so when you couple it with topping the penalty count and being second for errors this season (which is amazing considering the conservative approach), I don't think it's particularly surprising that supporters want to be entertained a bit more for their £300 season tickets and/or Sky subscriptions.

Fair play to you if you get your kicks from looking at the final result of a game, but I'd like to enjoy the 80 minutes, win, lose or draw. If that makes me a spoilt Saints fan then guilty as charged I guess.

You’re right Moove, a pay at the gate fan who might decide to go to the match in the last second is not going to want too pay £23 to watch a dismal boring four drives and a kick tactics. I’m hoping Saints don’t offer him a new contract, im sure Woolf will get a coaching job in the NRL. I’ll turn up to watch Saints, but i don’t think the floating supporter is going to turn up, the one’s ive spoken to say “they don’t think they’ll go bother and they will just go against Wigan, Wire”. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting how different clubs' fans view things differently from others, quite a few fans of other clubs would be happy to see their teams play like Saints do, yet Saints fans aren't happy, I suppose everyone is different which makes things interesting.

Also interesting, I'm sure not so long ago Saints fans were bemoaning their lack of trophies and saying they would happily accept grinding out wins if it meant winning silverware.

I guess it also show the fickle nature of sports fans and how they're never really happy 🙂

2 hours ago, meast said:

Also interesting, I'm sure not so long ago Saints fans were bemoaning their lack of trophies and saying they would happily accept grinding out wins if it meant winning silverware.

Given the coaches in our most recent trophy dry spells were Cunningham, Simmons and Potter I can assure you that isn't true. They make Woolf look like Ian Millward 😀

Even Nathan Brown got criticism for a boring style despite winning SL. Absolutely fine in a knock out game or a final, not so much if it's all season.

I'm just hoping for a more entertaining spectacle than this evening's first Cup tie.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Kick off, and 27% of TotalRL poster think Huddersfield are going to win this.

I think that they have no chance. 

I think that just means Huddersfield have manged to get their traditional base of voters out.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Makinson goes off hurt, after 3 minutes or so. Not good.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Okay, who had Lawrence as first try-scorer?

LIAR!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Makinson goes off hurt, after 3 minutes or so. Not good.

This is  bad news.  I'm reminded of Tomkins with foot injury which got worse and took a lot to get back to fully fit.

Good Giants try.

Shame also for Bentley.

Struggling to see what was wrong with that Hudds try or why It wasn't referred to the VR.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

8 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Struggling to see what was wrong with that Hudds try or why It wasn't referred to the VR.

Same here, at the very least it should have been referred.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Archived