Wakefield staff received death threats

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Violence and hate are the cure alls for modern dilemas.

it takes strength to be gentle and kind

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

25 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Violence and hate are the cure alls for modern dilemas.

Is it not the case that it has always been this way though? 

There’s always been a minority who spout stupid stuff on the terraces and in the pub.   It’s just that in the modern era of social media it is brought straight to the target of the abuse and they get to hear it / see it.

It’s not right of course, but I’m not sure the solution lies solely in boycotting social media and creating ‘safe spaces’.   In fact you could argue that the abuser should be given the option of making the threat in person to the coach, who should then be allowed to offer the abuser a charity boxing bout with the proceeds going to hungry kids.   If the abuser refuses, he looks stupid and embarrassed and probably won’t do it again. If he accepts and gets battered he probably won’t do it again either, but hungry kids get fed. Win-win for everybody, no?

Having seen some of the appalling abuse dished out on Twitter, I've deleted everything to do with it. In addition, I've put a number of posters of offensive opinions here on ignore, too. Its the only response, because Twitter isn't going to stop it, nor are the posters I've put on ignore. 

12 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Is it not the case that it has always been this way though? 

It really has.

Thankfully, the small chink of positive light, is that these days there is at least a small trend towards speaking up about this kind of nonsense. Back 'in the day' if someone said they hoped your mum would die of cancer or that you got run over on the way home(*) you'd be encouraged to bottle it up and "do your talking on the field".

(* = both genuine examples I can remember players receiving in the 1980s and 1990s in the offline world)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

RACISM ! RACIST POST ALERT!

That ages me.

My son wouldn't even get that joke.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

That ages me.

My son wouldn't even get that joke.

and thats all it is "a joke" my mum in her mid 70s still rings up the takeaway and says to the person who answers "can i order a chin key  please" she is oblivious to any offence she may have caused and would be upset to think any was taken 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

17 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Having seen some of the appalling abuse dished out on Twitter, I've deleted everything to do with it. In addition, I've put a number of posters here on ignore, too. Its the only response, because Twitter isn't going to stop it, nor are the posters I've put on ignore. 

In all seriousness though, what is the best way forward on this?

Leaving social media is a good move if it helps (similar to waking away from a drunken idiot in a pub) and banning offenders is fair enough (although it’s difficult sometimes to draw the line between reasoned debate/opinion and perceived offensive comments).

I do however, think that modern society (certainly in developed countries) is losing its resilience. By creating safe spaces we are also denying reality. When we do that we risk people ignoring warning signs about their health, or the way they raise their children, or the way perceive different cultures etc. Talking openly resolves conflict; taking it underground doesn’t.

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It really has.

Thankfully, the small chink of positive light, is that these days there is at least a small trend towards speaking up about this kind of nonsense. Back 'in the day' if someone said they hoped your mum would die of cancer or that you got run over on the way home(*) you'd be encouraged to bottle it up and "do your talking on the field".

Yes of course, my comment about the boxing was made in jest, but maybe we do need to help those giving the abuse with a life lesson or two. They’re probably not even bad people to be fair, just guilty of anger and hiding behind the safety of a computer screen to take it out on someone else (although a death threat is the height of stupidity of course).

10 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

They’re probably not even bad people to be fair, just guilty of anger and hiding behind the safety of a computer screen to take it out on someone else (although a death threat is the height of stupidity of course).

I’ve just re-read that and it sounds like I’m not taking what he posted seriously enough.

What I’m trying to say is, if he had made that threat to me I wouldn’t be looking to run away from Twitter or blame the social media company. I’d probably want to sit him down with a beer and ask him why he feels he needs to be such a ****ing pr*** to other people to make himself feel better. Maybe he’ll apologise and feel bad about it in person. Maybe he’s just having a ###### period in his life. Who knows. Better to talk is what I was trying to say 😬

I never joined Twitter or owt like that , this is the only social media I do , I like it here . I reckon it was one of my better decisions . Even when I scan Twitter comments I just don’t like it , it just seems to be a sewer of bilge 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I never joined Twitter or owt like that , this is the only social media I do , I like it here . I reckon it was one of my better decisions . Even when I scan Twitter comments I just don’t like it , it just seems to be a sewer of bilge 

I think it’s just moved away from what it was originally intended for.

It’s now just a place where people with opposite views who would never normally meet can get very angry with the fact they have opposing views.

For example, I see lots of posts re-tweeting ultra right wing comments and denouncing the fact they’re getting publicity. But re-tweeting it and shouting about it just adds to the very thing they’re trying to stop! Just ignore it and laugh it off and watch some cat videos on YouTube or something.

14 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

They’re probably not even bad people to be fair, just guilty of anger and hiding behind the safety of a computer screen to take it out on someone else (although a death threat is the height of stupidity of course).

Some are, some aren't. There have been quite a few studies/articles about the reasons why online abuse happens. Rather less on why, for decades continuing today, people buy and support traditional media that is, by its nature, toxic and abusive. (Don't believe me? A quick google of "Mac" "racist" "cartoon" "Mail" will disabuse you of any notion of purity from the past).

My personal view is that what social media, and the internet more broadly, does is shine a light on things that you might not have noticed or could have blocked out before. What it also does, somewhat perversely given the talk about how it's because of the anonymity, is it highlights the "could be anyone" nature. In the linked piece, it's a bloke with a family. Not some sad loner in his mum's basement.

As for what we do. We keep standing up to it. Keep shining a light on it. Keep making it clear that we, as a sport, as a society, will not tolerate it.

And that goes equally for standing with Carter against someone giving his staff online death threats as well as agreeing that even in the heat of the moment, racist or other offensive outbursts have no place in our game.

3 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I think it’s just moved away from what it was originally intended for.

It’s now just a place where people with opposite views who would never normally meet can get very angry with the fact they have opposing views.

For example, I see lots of posts re-tweeting ultra right wing comments and denouncing the fact they’re getting publicity. But re-tweeting it and shouting about it just adds to the very thing they’re trying to stop! Just ignore it and laugh it off and watch some cat videos on YouTube or something.

YouTube comments are the place I've seen the most racist, and otherwise nasty, views given the most support.

My Twitter is quite a lovely place these days. I long ago trimmed anyone who was annoying me on the basis of "It's not me, it's you ..."

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Always have been boss, sadly it’s nothing new. 

Yeah but now it's a speciality!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

A death threat is a police matter yet there is no mention of this in the link to the newspaper report.

The bleeding heart liberals have destroyed my country, but this acceptance and easy way out ain't working.

I kinda accepted the splendid referee Mr Hicks being splendid - but once is more than enough.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/9720684/super-league-referee-meets-fan-who-issued-a-death-threat-face-to-face/

The police were,seemingly,involved in the initial stages.

Being stiff upper,take it on the chin,just seems to proliferate the number of objectionable,self - centred nonentities. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

35 minutes ago, DavidM said:

The TRL forums are well and properly moderated.  

Archived