Wakefield staff received death threats

2 hours ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

May be I am not following Carter's comments.  Is he saying that a person posted a picture of the posters own family and used it as a death threat analogy to someone else? Or was the picture of someone who the poster threatened?  The latter seems very sick.    The former seems wierd.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I never joined Twitter or owt like that , this is the only social media I do , I like it here . I reckon it was one of my better decisions . Even when I scan Twitter comments I just don’t like it , it just seems to be a sewer of bilge 

Same here, this forum is completely different to any other that I’ve seen and the only one I post on. The TRL chaps do a good job but I like the self policing by contributors too, when someone oversteps the mark. Twitter, from what little I’ve seen of it, it’s tripe. 

11 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

May be I am not following Carter's comments.  Is he saying that a person posted a picture of the posters own family and used it as a death threat analogy to someone else? Or was the picture of someone who the poster threatened?  The latter seems very sick.    The former seems wierd.

I believe someone posted these comments on Facebook whereby the poster was named and a profile picture of the man and his family were showing. Hence Michael’s comments on the person and his family.

f3gms4.jpg

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

A death threat is a police matter yet there is no mention of this in the link to the newspaper report.

Absolutely correct, what twiter does is allow people to hide behind a nom de plume and dish out abuse. Yet each twitter account has an IP address. The law is simple on this

There is a well established law in relation to threats to kill. Section 16 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 states that 'A person who without lawful excuse makes to another a threat, intending that that other would fear it would be carried out, to kill that other or a third person shall be guilty of an offence and liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years.' Note 'that the other would fear it would be carried out' is sufficient for a crime to have been committed

http://nomsintranet.org.uk/roh/roh/3-adv_riskassessment/03_06_01_04.htm

Note the Australian study of 613 offenders who made threats to kill as well.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

This stuff should not happen end of. I have no profile of any type on social media and for the life of me I cant understand why people need to open up about their private lives to the wider public. Once you start posting about yourself it gives people who may have a grudge something to latch on to and you never know who is out there.

As the submariners saying goes ' run silent,run deep'

Now then back to this topic, just take with a pinch of salt what Michael carter says. The guy can be a bit of a drama queen at times. I really fear that many people dont know what a mess the club are in. Carter is probably more worried about way things are going more than these death threats. He may be looking for an excuse to walk before the stuff hits the fan and therefore dodge some of the blame.

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Having seen some of the appalling abuse dished out on Twitter, I've deleted everything to do with it. In addition, I've put a number of posters of offensive opinions here on ignore, too. Its the only response, because Twitter isn't going to stop it, nor are the posters I've put on ignore. 

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Totally agree. I deleted my Twitter account some time ago, it’s absolute trash. And also agree about the ignore option. 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I never joined Twitter or owt like that , this is the only social media I do , I like it here . I reckon it was one of my better decisions . Even when I scan Twitter comments I just don’t like it , it just seems to be a sewer of bilge 

I do have an email account and this is the only forum of any sort i belong too and i can get along quite happily with this.

Why people sign up for twitter and similar social media accounts in beyond me

As distasteful as the comment was, from what I have read it wasn't a death threat.

There are a few cynics amongst the fans that it's being used to deflect the poor win/loss ratio over the past year or so. 

Doesn't alter the fact that social media, for all the good that it can do, is really in the gutter, and ultimately if it ceased to exist, I really wouldn't miss it, and I guess the countries work force might just be a little more productive 

Threatening behaviour whether it be in person or over the Internet has no place in rugby league or anywhere else. Death threats, I couldn't believe what I was reading, some people need to get a grip. It's only a game for gods sake. 

17 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Threatening behaviour whether it be in person or over the Internet has no place in rugby league or anywhere else. Death threats, I couldn't believe what I was reading, some people need to get a grip. It's only a game for gods sake. 

Well said.

7 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Well said.

I honestly couldn't believe what I was seeing when I read about this. The games always had a family friendly image and stuff like this doesn't put a good picture across. I really don't know how people could react like this about a game. No wonder the chairman is having second thoughts. 

11 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Morons, utter morons

11 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

seriously - some people are just utter morons though

Yet according to one of our regular posters, so is Bill Arthur. 

It’s there right under our own eyes, not just on Twitter. 

I quite like Twitter as a news feed, you only see most of the abuse if you start searching trends etc and you sort of cotton on to those subjects that attract the idiots, or you follow said idiots

Its easy enough to block accounts or mute words to get through the nonsense. Much like the ignore function on here

48 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I quite like Twitter as a news feed, you only see most of the abuse if you start searching trends etc and you sort of cotton on to those subjects that attract the idiots, or you follow said idiots

Its easy enough to block accounts or mute words to get through the nonsense. Much like the ignore function on here

Yup, I use twitter for news, easy to search for a key word (AOL represent yo) and get what you're looking for rather than what Google is trying to tell you. 

3 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Nope, I found stuff on my feed put there by people who possibly weren't being malicious but seemed to think I wanted to hear their up to the second views on the EU or whatever. It was impossible to just stick to what I wanted to read about because others made it very very difficult to do so. I don't bother with any others by the way except FB and that's only because I personally know the people on there, I know that can be bad too.

I also deleted my Twitter and Facebook accounts quite some time ago and not having to wade through that poison anymore is something I would highly recommend  to anyone.

I created an anonymous Facebook account where I only follow bands and venues purely to keep up to date with releases and (hopefully soon) gigs.

The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

18 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Nope, I found stuff on my feed put there by people who possibly weren't being malicious but seemed to think I wanted to hear their up to the second views on the EU or whatever. It was impossible to just stick to what I wanted to read about because others made it very very difficult to do so. I don't bother with any others by the way except FB and that's only because I personally know the people on there, I know that can be bad too.

Things are only on your feed if you follow those people, if you don't like what they were posting just unfollow them then you wouldn't see it

The social media post referenced in the article is a person saying he 'hopes' a member of staff dies.

While that is pretty abhorrent, can it actually be categorised as a death threat... i.e. threatening to actually do someone harm?

Some may label this as semantics but I would have thought there was a reasonable difference between the two things.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

20 hours ago, JohnM said:

Having seen some of the appalling abuse dished out on Twitter, I've deleted everything to do with it. In addition, I've put a number of posters of offensive opinions here on ignore, too. Its the only response, because Twitter isn't going to stop it, nor are the posters I've put on ignore. 

Is Twitter worse than Facebook or vice-versa or are they just as bad as each other ?. 

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

Going round before games sampling local takeaway joints for his YouTube page ...

thought we'd nailed that.. why waste an opportunity to get 2 great YouTube influencers involved.. the dog could do reactions to the various mascots and how they interact with the crowd (looking at the type of dog it is it might, ahem, "quite like" the saints one which may make for some "interesting" viewing!)

Archived