"Some of us are looking at the Stars!"

"Los Angeles — A space-aged bottle of fine French wine, part of a case of Bordeaux that was literally matured in Earth’s orbit for 14 months, is being put up for private sale by Christie’s, and the auction house estimates it may fetch up to $1m."

https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/life/2021-05-05-wine-matured-in-space-expected-to-fetch-more-than-1m-at-auction/

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I took my girlfriend to Marco Pierre White's restaurant, La Mirrabelle,after going to the ENO, and the wine menu had a bottle of wine on it valued at £25,000. 

I went for a £35 bottle, but the sommelier told me that was unavailable, but he would let me have a £45 bottle for the same price, because it would match the food.

How the hell do you match space wine to food? I just hope they make a better job of unloading it than Gatwick did when we came back from Corsica.

I enjoy my wine. Researching and visiting Vineyards in France over the 40 years has been a very enjoyable hobby.

BUT, I am limited as to tasting skills. I'll probably tell you the difference between a £6/ bottle from a £16/bottle and in turn upto about £100 in most cases, but its not flawless and I'm not an expert by any means.

I've found some fabulous gems from small producers.... those gems are still findable and very reasonably priced that can stack up as comparable with some much more expensive wines

However, would I be able to tell a £500/bottle from a £1K? I doubt I would. I think that's when desirability and scarcity starts to influence the wine price as much as quality.

If I won the euromillions I just couldn't justify spending stupid sums on wine.

3 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

I enjoy my wine. Researching and visiting Vineyards in France over the 40 years has been a very enjoyable hobby.

BUT, I am limited as to tasting skills. I'll probably tell you the difference between a £6/ bottle from a £16/bottle and in turn upto about £100 in most cases, but its not flawless and I'm not an expert by any means.

I've found some fabulous gems from small producers.... those gems are still findable and very reasonably priced that can stack up as comparable with some much more expensive wines

However, would I be able to tell a £500/bottle from a £1K? I doubt I would. I think that's when desirability and scarcity starts to influence the wine price as much as quality.

Above a certain limit, I think rarity skews the price upward as much as quality. Probably more. If I won the Euromillions, the house I'd buy would have a wine cellar, but I wouldn't be looking for collectability as a factor. Wine is meant to be drunk at some point.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moon Cakes, sprinkled with Space Dust?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

That's because you'd be too busy buying a Rugby League Club; the wrong one as well, no doubt.

13 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

If you opened a £1m bottle of wine, how long do you let the wine breath for? 

I allow wine to breath every time I take my mouth from the bottle 

More importantly will it taste wonderful because it cost so much, because it spent time aging next to astronauts going to the toilet in their suits, or because it is more radio-active or because you daren't admit you made a mistake?

31 minutes ago, Oxford said:

More importantly will it taste wonderful because it cost so much, because it spent time aging next to astronauts going to the toilet in their suits, or because it is more radio-active or because you daren't admit you made a mistake?

Ooo I've made plenty of errors.... and learned from most.

I've bought wines I have spent a fortune on.... that just weren't that good.....

I've tasted wines thinking "wow" then found they're cheap wines.... but I enjoyed them. All part of the fun and learning process.... for me at least.

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Ooo I've made plenty of errors.... and learned from most.

I've bought wines I have spent a fortune on.... that just weren't that good.....

I've tasted wines thinking "wow" then found they're cheap wines.... but I enjoyed them. All part of the fun and learning process.... for me at least.

The first sentence is spot on.

The second means you're slow on the uptake on wine and worth.

The third is the only lesson worth learning as far as wine is concerned ..... you can't judge a bottle by the label.

At the moment I'm paying a bit more than in the past for health reasons so organic & Sans Sulfite

And they do tend to be consistently good

https://www.vinceremos.co.uk/product/la-marouette-sans-sulfite-rouge-igp-pays-doc-no-sulphur-added/

And they've not been anywhere near poo space, stellar or otherwise. (Well you'd hope so)

16 hours ago, Shadow said:
  1. 41CeEaxCAsL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Those bring back memories.

It must have been around 1998 when I took my young daughter to watch Cas play Halifax at The Shay and part way through the second half she got a bit fed up.  So we went to the food shack and bought some Flying Saucers and back on the away end terrace I sat her on my shoulders.  As we walked out after the game finished lots of people were smiling at me.  It was only when I was sat in the car that I saw my hair was covered in sherbet as my daughter had eaten the Flying Saucers and tipped the sherbet on my head.

Archived