Rugby league needs to help save Salford

'The AJ Bell is used by Salford and by Sale Sharks, the Premiership Rugby team. In the past it has hosted 2013 World Cup matches and 2016 World Rugby Under-20s Championship games.

Now Sale want to buy the stadium and kick out their co-tenants the Red Devil

Make no mistake, this is huge to the future of the Super League club. If they lose their tenancy, they may become a dead duck. There is no other suitable venue for them to play in their area. They will be homeless.

A petition, which you can read here, has been started to keep the AJ Bell Stadium in the hands of the Salford community and the Red Devils. It has more than 4600 signatures and has been sent to the local council.'

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

'The AJ Bell is used by Salford and by Sale Sharks, the Premiership Rugby team. In the past it has hosted 2013 World Cup matches and 2016 World Rugby Under-20s Championship games.

Make no mistake, this is huge to the future of the Super League club. If they lose their tenancy, they may become a dead duck. There is no other suitable venue for them to play in their area. They will be homeless.

A petition, which you can read here, has been started to keep the AJ Bell Stadium in the hands of the Salford community and the Red Devils. It has more than 4600 signatures and has been sent to the local council.'

This is really a local matter to Salford and I don’t know what relevance or influence someone 200 miles away signing it has, but I’ll do so anyway as I’d hate to see Salford made homeless. 

There are some other great petitions on there, I particularly liked Preserve the Cliff Swallow colony under the Argyle Bridge in Caledonia, Ontario, Canada.

I don't know why you imagine RL will help in any way. Also it's not as though the RFL or SL are renowned for rescuing anything, not even the half time oranges. The RL graveyard of clubs, initiatives and expansion would provide no evidence to suggest even a possibility.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

4 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I don't know why you imagine RL will help in any way. Also it's not as though the RFL or SL are renowned for rescuing anything, not even the half time oranges. The RL graveyard of clubs, initiatives and expansion would provide no evidence to suggest even a possibility.

I think people are suggesting that they could try to help, eg by fans signing this petition. This isnt anything to do with the RFL, it’s a matter for the club, Salford Council and Sale Union club. 

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think people are suggesting that they could try to help, eg by fans signing this petition. This isnt anything to do with the RFL, it’s a matter for the club, Salford Council and Sale Union club. 

Fans signing a petition? 😂

And sorry I thought with the RFL & SL being in charge they might have been included in the suggestion.🤔

Also if it's " ...a matter for the club, Salford Council and Sale Union club. " it's probably already too late!😢

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Haven’t they been a dead duck(financially) since they moved to the poorly located/serviced AJ Bell

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Fans signing a petition? 😂

And sorry I thought with the RFL & SL being in charge they might hve been included in the suggestion.🤔

Also if it's " ...a matter for the club, Salford Council and Sale Union club. " it's probably already too late!😢

I’m not saying I think a petition will work boss, merely that it’s what people are being asked to do. 

Just now, Eddie said:

I’m not saying I think a petition will work boss, merely that it’s what people are being asked to do. 

Very useful that!

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Haven’t they been a dead duck(financially) since they moved to the poorly located/serviced AJ Bell

Depends very much on who you ask? If financial criteria were applied to the whole of SL I'm not altogether sure anyone would be left.

2 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Has it been confirmed anywhere that Sale wouldn’t allow Salford to carry on as tenants if they did manage to buy the ground?

I think it's more around SRD being charged far more for the right to play than they are at the moment. 

Of course if the Stadium were indeed sold it would be sold for money...   How much?  How much of that could be spend to fund a new stadium etc for a new Salford/Swinton Eastern Suburbs Manchester team?

I don't understand how any new owner can kick Salford out or put the rent up if they have an existing tenancy agreement in place. Unless it's full of regular rent reviews etc which is poor foresight by whomever owned Salford when it was signed.

On the latest Forty20 podcast. Phil Caplan was stating that Salford City F.C. now also want to play their games there.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

2 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

On the latest Forty20 podcast. Phil Caplan was stating that Salford City F.C. now also want to play their games there.

Could SRD move into their current ground then? 

16 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Aren't Salford and Swinton west of Manchester?

Yeah but they're on the East Lancs Road!

Just now, Irish Saint said:

And they can afford what Sale are likely to demand in rent.

It's hard to state the history of this as anything but SRD being shafted from day one of a stadium that was meant to be for them alone.

I’ve signed the petition even though my team is Workington and this doesn’t affect me. I signed because you couldn’t trust Sale Sharks around the corner, they are a typical rugger outfit ( remember Solomona’s “retirement”?) and are the #### of the sporting world. Best of luck to the Red Devil’s.

I'm touched by the optimism of people who think Sale are likely to be benevolent owners, after the way they ground Stockport County into the dirt at Edgeley Park.

The trouble in getting excited about this is that the AJ Bell is such a damp squib of a ground.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Archived