Rugby league needs to help save Salford

28 minutes ago, Joe Aitcheson said:

I’ve signed the petition even though my team is Workington and this doesn’t affect me. I signed because you couldn’t trust Sale Sharks around the corner, they are a typical rugger outfit ( remember Solomona’s “retirement”?) and are the #### of the sporting world. Best of luck to the Red Devil’s.

But can you trust the Red Devil’s either when it comes to money?

Their relatively recent choice to not pay Salford City Council the ~ £1.5m loan back it made to Salford City Reds - public money that could/should have been spent helping the most needy people in the Salford community.

Salford have been a breath of fresh air on the pitch over the last few years & i want them to succeed & be a Super League team, but are they realistically going to be able to go and ask the council for help with this issue after recently defaulting on a promise to pay back ~ £1.5 million of public money?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dead man inc said:

But can you trust the Red Devil’s either when it comes to money?

Their relatively recent choice to not pay Salford City Council the ~ £1.5m loan back it made to Salford City Reds - public money that could/should have been spent helping the most needy people in the Salford community.

Salford have been a breath of fresh air on the pitch over the last few years & i want them to succeed & be a Super League team, but are they realistically going to be able to go and ask the council for help with this issue after recently defaulting on a promise to pay back ~ £1.5 million of public money?

That will be a bit of a difficult one to brush under the carpet when asking the very same council not to sell...

If Salford have their anuses kicked out of the AJ Bell then they really only have one place where they can play and that is where Salford City FC currently play.

And it is my belief and opinion that Salford City FC will buy the AJ Bell and whilst they may allow Sale to play there for the time being,they will give Salford Red Devil’s their marching orders.

And even if the AJ Bell is sold,there is no way on this earth that Salford City Council would build a stadium for both Salford and Swinton to share.They still wouldn’t have the money and frankly they have had their fingers burned already with this white elephant that they will not take another chance.

11 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

If Salford have their anuses kicked out of the AJ Bell then they really only have one place where they can play and that is where Salford City FC currently play.

And it is my belief and opinion that Salford City FC will buy the AJ Bell and whilst they may allow Sale to play there for the time being,they will give Salford Red Devil’s their marching orders.

And even if the AJ Bell is sold,there is no way on this earth that Salford City Council would build a stadium for both Salford and Swinton to share.They still wouldn’t have the money and frankly they have had their fingers burned already with this white elephant that they will not take another chance.

Iirc didn’t Ryan Giggs’ dad play for Salford? If so hopefully he’s got a soft spot for the club. 

26 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Iirc didn’t Ryan Giggs’ dad play for Salford? If so hopefully he’s got a soft spot for the club. 

I think he's a bit busy right now

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Putting aside the issue of capacity for a minute Moor Lane looks like a better option than the A J Bell in terms of location, access and being part of the real world rather than an out of town development. Am I right or is it still too far away from the Willows?

8 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Aren't Salford and Swinton west of Manchester?

Ha ha ha.

I would like to have said I was talking  about eastern suburbs of Leigh... But I can't.

I think I am obsessed with Easts. There ought to be an Easts somewhere.   Maybe close to Oldham.

But I'll otherwise stick to my point.

2 hours ago, M j M said:

Putting aside the issue of capacity for a minute Moor Lane looks like a better option than the A J Bell in terms of location, access and being part of the real world rather than an out of town development. Am I right or is it still too far away from the Willows?

I think Moor Lane is about 3 miles from The Willows old ground 

3 hours ago, M j M said:

Putting aside the issue of capacity for a minute Moor Lane looks like a better option than the A J Bell in terms of location, access and being part of the real world rather than an out of town development.

Yeah SRD can move there and SL can begin finding stadia inadequate that don't meet the criteria.

Stuffed if do and farcied if you don't, magic!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Salford wouldn’t be a big loss to the super league. They add very little value to the comp. Marwan Koukash made them relevant during his time but even his money couldn’t see them grow. 

They’ve failed to reach acceptable crowds and their homegrown success is abysmal. 

They’re a dead duck whether they lose the stadium or not. 

Time to move over and give one of the upcoming championship clubs a shot.

4 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Salford wouldn’t be a big loss to the super league. They add very little value to the comp. Marwan Koukash made them relevant during his time but even his money couldn’t see them grow. 

They’ve failed to reach acceptable crowds and their homegrown success is abysmal. 

That's not how sport works though.

5 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Two finals in the last two seasons is more than a lot of teams have achieved

6 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Salford wouldn’t be a big loss to the super league.

Even taking your business plan approach to the game, who in the division below matches them for crowds, ground and potential?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Even taking your business plan approach to the game, who in the division below matches them for crowds, ground and potential?

Well, they’re not in super league and not had the years to build like Salford so it’s difficult to say. I think there’s at least a few clubs that have better potential for bigger crowds. Bradford, Toulouse, Newcastle, York....

30 minutes ago, Southerner said:

Two major finals in the last two years, the same as Saints and more than anyone else. There’s plenty of teams who should move over before they do. 

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Manfred will give you a selection of names if it means SL can get rid of Salford: Paris, New York, Timbuktu ... I'm surprised he's not been on this thread offering his wisdon yet.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

7 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Aren't Salford and Swinton west of Manchester?

Must've had the plan upside down...

7 hours ago, Just Browny said:

I'm touched by the optimism of people who think Sale are likely to be benevolent owners, after the way they ground Stockport County into the dirt at Edgeley Park.

The trouble in getting excited about this is that the AJ Bell is such a damp squib of a ground.

At first glance, i'd say their best option would be to ground swap with Salford City Reds and move to Moor Lane and get out from under the Soccer club and the RaRa dark side, once and for all.

Sole ownership/tenancy sounds far more manageable/comfortable than being at the mercy of the other two as landlords.

By the way, I just want to say, I had no idea what you meant, the last time you commented in response to my post in the 8 weeks thread?

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

That's more like it Ging' a reasonable point made and a sensible question asked.

That's what these forums are for.

Ill defined and ambiguous one liners, sniggering at people with opposing views is nothing more than trolling.

I say, if you've got an argument, then have the courage to make it and stand by for a robust response.

As you grow and mature I'd suggest you set a personal goal to give up trolling and get stuck in and engage intellectually, or if not, just stay down the shallow end.

Archived