Rugby league needs to help save Salford

30 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

It was Marwan who signed the deal, Wilkinson had nowt to do with it.

I was on the committee at Irlam Hornets, and met John Wilkinson when he stepped on board as a main sponsor, and he came across as a very astute businessman. I don't think he would sign a naming rights to a Union fan, he was League 100%.

It was January 2013 when Dr Koukash took over.

The stadium had been in use for a year or two.

Wilkinson agreed to the stadium terms.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/fond-farewell-from-john-wilkinson-mr-1293316

It was amazing how the Labour government had a stadium built in overcrowded Stratford.London.without any problem.Not even a lesser-spotted Newt to delay things.

Helped West Ham FC and the local criminals.

All Labour councils should be the same. 

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

The problem with the Williows was not necessarily the ground, but where it was. It wasn't uncommon for reports to emerge after many games about vandalised cars or people being assaulted at the tram stop and it was pretty much accepted that the area around the ground was discouraging people from visiting. 

There's not a lot of development that the club could do to change that. 

No, I disagree, there were no vandalised cars, that was a rumour put about by Castleford Supporters, who had a window broken on a bus. We never touched cars. There was more violence in Bradford & Featherstone to supporters from west of the Pennines. I spent a night in a hospital because of a visit to Fev.

5 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

It was January 2013 when Dr Koukash took over.

The stadium had been in use for a year or two.

Wilkinson agreed to the stadium terms.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/fond-farewell-from-john-wilkinson-mr-1293316

It was amazing how the Labour government had a stadium built in overcrowded Stratford.London.without any problem.Not even a lesser-spotted Newt to delay things.

Helped West Ham FC and the local criminals.

All Labour councils should be the same. 

Read the article, "The future is bright for Salford Rugby League under Marwan" hahahahahahahahahahaahahah

1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

No, I disagree, there were no vandalised cars, that was a rumour put about by Castleford Supporters, who had a window broken on a bus. We never touched cars. There was more violence in Bradford & Featherstone to supporters from west of the Pennines. I spent a night in a hospital because of a visit to Fev.

I mean, incidents were more than just rumours. I certainly saw plenty of damaged cars on one trip (particularly those parked on the flyover on the M602) as I walked back to Weaste tram stop, where a fan was assaulted by a group of locals (although no indication that they were fans of the club) as a tram arrived. I also recall being on 'the other forum' at the time where such reports were common and where Salford fans even came onto the forums of visiting fans to advise on where to/not to park. So yeah, it was an issue. 

We can all come up with anecdotes, but it's wrong to say that Salford weren't minded to think that their location was an issue. 

3 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I mean, incidents were more than just rumours. I certainly saw plenty of damaged cars on one trip (particularly those parked on the flyover on the M602) as I walked back to Weaste tram stop, where a fan was assaulted by a group of locals (although no indication that they were fans of the club) as a tram arrived. I also recall being on 'the other forum' at the time where such reports were common and where Salford fans even came onto the forums of visiting fans to advise on where to/not to park. So yeah, it was an issue. 

We can all come up with anecdotes, but it's wrong to say that Salford weren't minded to think that their location was an issue. 

That was BS, there is no evidence of it being RL related, I got beat up twice, in Halifax and Warrington.

Then you shouldn't park on the M602, it's a motorway, not a car park.

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

That was BS, there is no evidence of it being RL related, I got beat up twice, in Halifax and Warrington.

What part is BS? The thing I saw happen? 

And I explicitly said that the assault was committed by people who didn't appear to have anything to do with RL, but you knew that and decided to ignore it anyway. 

37 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Moor Lane next for the Pinks then? Even more inaccessible than Peel Green

Well should the worse case scenario happen and I think we have to assume and prepare for that,then yes Moor Lane is the ONLY option anywhere within the boundaries of Salford City Council.

BUT that stadium is not big enough for Super League. And as such it is my understanding that it is not Super League standard.

So what are the options for Salford then?

7 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Swinton had to sell because of debts, Salford moved because of greed, now they are on their asses.

You are right about Swinton,and I believe also that Station Road was refused a Safety Certificate.You only need to see their nomadic existence since then.And I am a Lions fan.

Salford yes perhaps to a point it was greed. And I think it is also fair to say they were stitched up.

And yes it is now biting them on their asses.

On 09/05/2021 at 00:13, The Frying Scotsman said:

Fair enough. I presume they are from Salford or thereabouts.

Most people I know would have no clue who Salford Red Devils are, or Salford Reds, or Salford City Reds. They certainly would have no idea about a "million pound game".

I think the situation is tragic. Salford were moving to their new stadium in a blaze of publicity. The stadium (below pictured in the MEN) never materialised and they ended up with 4 ikea-style stands. Still - a nice new stadium.

Then Sale appeared on the horizon.

Now, somehow.... Salford are looking like becoming tenants of a rugby union club, while Sale Sharks, who already own a top of the range training facility, and are not from Salford..... are now going to buy the stadium from what is effectively Salford City Council (partnered with a developer). 

Utterly tragic chain of events. I wish Salford all the best - the game (I firmly believe) needs a strong Salford team. They are one of very few city-based clubs we have at pro level, and without them we run the risk of filling the League with small towns who nobody has really heard of. 

C_71_article_1200312_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

Not from Salford, couple from Liverpool another from Stoke, but all heard and took the time to watch highlights

13 hours ago, The Future is League said:

There is a lot of if, but's and maybe's in that story, more than a usual Sun story. Why would Salford City FC, move from Moor Lane, after all the money that has been spent on it, and just missing the play-offs, spend £4m on buying Gigg Lane, ditto Salford RLFC?

12 hours ago, Johnoco said:

The last time I went to The Willows, I drove and was approached by local scallies with the old ‘look after your car mister’? It was a heap of junk that was due to be scrapped anyway so I told em to do their worst. I was nonetheless relieved to find it in one piece after the game, I didn’t fancy walking home. 

Probably because they didn't think it was worth nicking?

17 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Swinton had to sell because of debts, Salford moved because of greed, now they are on their asses.

glad you took the trouble to edit the post down to a specific question and then not bother to answer it but just to have another pop/laugh at at the club... 

17 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

That's not why SRD moved and rewriting history doesn't help anyone.

1 minute ago, RP London said:

glad you took the trouble to edit the post down to a specific question and then not bother to answer it but just to have another pop/laugh at at the club... 

The trouble is that's fairly common these days and even the back handed support contains stuff like that.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

The RFL/SL have been more than supportive - last example was last season when 6 points were deducted for breaking the CVA in a season with no relegation.

If Salford have got 5000 signatures then they have enough 'fans' to buy the ground at the discounted rate it is on offer at and take control of their own destiny - remember this is a club that completely overspends and bounces from one disaster to the next.

Koukash rescued them, the council bailed them out and even those interventions didnt stop the CVA being broken

First thing I would offer is share packages at £1000, £5m raised min straight away

19 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

Well should the worse case scenario happen and I think we have to assume and prepare for that,then yes Moor Lane is the ONLY option anywhere within the boundaries of Salford City Council.

BUT that stadium is not big enough for Super League. And as such it is my understanding that it is not Super League standard.

So what are the options for Salford then?

LSV 

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

There is a lot of if, but's and maybe's in that story, more than a usual Sun story. Why would Salford City FC, move from Moor Lane, after all the money that has been spent on it, and just missing the play-offs, spend £4m on buying Gigg Lane, ditto Salford RLFC?

They had to spend the money to get the Moor Lane up to football league standards or no promotion from the conference  and they will have to spend more on the ground if they move up the  football pyramid  bottom line is what plans have the class of 92 got for the club and would  a move to the AjBell turn out  be cheaper in the long run

22 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

The RFL/SL have been more than supportive - last example was last season when 6 points were deducted for breaking the CVA in a season with no relegation.

If Salford have got 5000 signatures then they have enough 'fans' to buy the ground at the discounted rate it is on offer at and take control of their own destiny - remember this is a club that completely overspends and bounces from one disaster to the next.

Koukash rescued them, the council bailed them out and even those interventions didnt stop the CVA being broken

First thing I would offer is share packages at £1000, £5m raised min straight away

the Terms of the CVA were always there to say that in the event of default a points deduction of 6 points will be taken in the season where the default happened. Given this how exactly were the RFL supportive on this matter? the RFL literally followed the terms of a legal document, nothign to do with being supportive.

Salford want to remain in the city where it has been for over 100 years, the stadium that you claim is on a discounted offer is not in the city of Salford its in Bury.

Whilst Koukash did rescue the club in the short term he also put them back multiple years due to his management and input he received which was less that ideal, eg disbanding the Academy

Archived