Rugby league needs to help save Salford

What rugby league in general and Salford  specifically are up against is reported in the BBC sport website.

Sale  have 11 South Africans on their squad and it's said that 6 are in contention  to play again st the Lions.

Just think about that, on several levels.  Of course this is not just for our game; RU is not of much consequence to us but it does indictate what way the future of RU is going, even if its own fans might be wary. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

The RFL/SL have been more than supportive - last example was last season when 6 points were deducted for breaking the CVA in a season with no relegation.

If Salford have got 5000 signatures then they have enough 'fans' to buy the ground at the discounted rate it is on offer at and take control of their own destiny - remember this is a club that completely overspends and bounces from one disaster to the next.

Koukash rescued them, the council bailed them out and even those interventions didnt stop the CVA being broken

First thing I would offer is share packages at £1000, £5m raised min straight away

RL fans don’t want to spend £10 on a stream good look asking them to part with £1000

2 hours ago, POR said:

They had to spend the money to get the Moor Lane up to football league standards or no promotion from the conference  and they will have to spend more on the ground if they move up the  football pyramid  bottom line is what plans have the class of 92 got for the club and would  a move to the AjBell turn out  be cheaper in the long run

Yes, move to Kersal, that's where the fan base isn't.  That will be the death of Salford RL

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

Yes, move to Kersal, that's where the fan base isn't.  That will be the death of Salford RL

And if they do move to Moor Lane, and Swinton are refused planning permission,  that will show bias against the Lions.

25 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

And if they do move to Moor Lane, and Swinton are refused planning permission,  that will show bias against the Lions.

(I'm sure i'm going to regret this but....) Genuine question, Why?

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

RL fans don’t want to spend £10 on a stream good look asking them to part with £1000

But it's a share package.

Me neither.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

No no it’s really easy for Salford to get 5,000 people to pay a grand. 

Typical corner shop RL mentality, you sell at 1k some may take 100, 5m is achievable, especially as you own the asset not the club, let’s say pay 2% dividend for 5 years which works out very cheap for the RL club and better than you get leaving cash in a savings account

18 hours ago, Johnoco said:

The last time I went to The Willows, I drove and was approached by local scallies 

23 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I mean, incidents were more than just rumours. 

Many moons ago I played a junior cricket fixture at Weaste C.C. which, from memory, was in the shadow of the North Stand. Judging from the extensive alterations vandals had made to the clubhouse, it maybe wasn`t the best part of town for Salford RL to be based in.

The only place more dangerous for Swinton fans to visit was the old ground at Huyton. (not so much a ground as a few blocks of randomly-strewn concrete).

In the interests of balance and candour, it should be acknowledged that Station Road could likewise be a bit of an adventure for Salford fans. Mercifully we didn`t play each other too often.

8 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Typical corner shop RL mentality, you sell at 1k some may take 100, 5m is achievable, especially as you own the asset not the club, let’s say pay 2% dividend for 5 years which works out very cheap for the RL club and better than you get leaving cash in a savings account

If it’s that easy to generate cash in RL who’s done it so far?

46 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The only place more dangerous for Swinton fans to visit was the old ground at Huyton. (not so much a ground as a few blocks of randomly-strewn concrete).

The history of Liverpool City RLFC (a good read btw, link below) makes that ground sound appalling, vandalism going on during the match and scallies running about on the pitch etc. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liverpool-City-RLFC-League-Football/dp/190365940X

Salford don't have the money to buy any ground, I really can't see them buying Bury. The Doc is responsible for the CVA failing as he didn't make payments.

The whole thing is depressing, every year it seems there is some drama and it has been this way for the last 10 years.

22 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

The Doc is responsible for the CVA failing as he didn't make payments.

This is my surprised face.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

The history of Liverpool City RLFC (a good read btw, link below) makes that ground sound appalling, vandalism going on during the match and scallies running about on the pitch etc. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liverpool-City-RLFC-League-Football/dp/190365940X

That`s how I remember it. No fences or fuzz. Complete free-for-all. Amidst the blocks of concrete. Could have been directed by Stanley Kubrick.

After one of our games there, Geoff Fletcher helped us escape by chasing all the scallies back up into the housing estate.

5 hours ago, Spidey said:

If it’s that easy to generate cash in RL who’s done it so far?

Typical defeatist RL fan, wish I could have heard your forefathers comment on the Spinning Jenny, Steam Engines, automobiles, planes, space travel, walking on the moon etc

22 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Typical defeatist RL fan, wish I could have heard your forefathers comment on the Spinning Jenny, Steam Engines, automobiles, planes, space travel, walking on the moon etc

You’re portraying something as dead easy. I’m only asking if it’s so easy you must have some example of it actually happening? Surely you have one?

15 hours ago, Spidey said:

You’re portraying something as dead easy. I’m only asking if it’s so easy you must have some example of it actually happening? Surely you have one?

I would start off via the ISA, who take financial pledges and when sufficient are made conclude the sale and issue shares  based upon cash invested eg £1k blocks. The ISA could then rent the running/maintenace etc of the stadium company to the club for £x pa - similar what the RFL did for Bradford but at mates  

Portsmouth FC became the largest fan-owned football club in England, after the Pompey Supporters Trust (PST) successfully gained possession of Fratton Park in April 2013. In May 2017, the PST members voted in favour to sell its ownership, estimated to be at £5.67 million.

Once an investor is found you either do as Pompey did or carry on securing your clubs ability to play locally

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

I think Wakefield tried it around 15 years ago or so? Maybe less.

Either way they raised about £36.78.

Not a dig at Wakey there, just a reminder it rarely if ever works and certainly not in RL. 

There just isn't the fan base to generate that sort of cash, on top of what is already spent by fans.  Its a sound model, but I just don't see it as realistic

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I am a Swinton supporter, but I grew up in the road next to where Adrian Morley grew up in, less than 400m from Willows, I hope they survive, we need clubs.

We got the first bit, quite obvious.. you may want to mention the bit in bold to your other posts which have been, in the main, less than supportive  

Archived