Rugby league needs to help save Salford

2 hours ago, Southerner said:

Salford wouldn’t be a big loss to the super league. They add very little value to the comp. Marwan Koukash made them relevant during his time but even his money couldn’t see them grow. 

They’ve failed to reach acceptable crowds and their homegrown success is abysmal. 

They’re a dead duck whether they lose the stadium or not. 

Time to move over and give one of the upcoming championship clubs a shot.

Now this is the kind of help I'd expect every day of the week from Rugby League.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Now this is the kind of help I'd expect every day of the week from Rugby League.

One big happy family. 

3 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I think Moor Lane is about 3 miles from The Willows old ground 

Yes it is. I have been to the Moor Lane Stadium. There is literally no parking anywhere near (every car parked anywhere near when I went, had a ticket on it at the end of the game) and it is about 2 miles from the nearest tram station. It is even moor in the middle of nowhere than the AJ Bell, and there is no pub anywhere near either.

21 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Serious question here, when Koukash was throwing money out of the club for any has been couldn't they have bought the stadium themselves rather than wasting it on Gareth Hock etc?

I think the AJ Bell stadium would cost more than Gareth Hock’s salary. 

14 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Serious question here, when Koukash was throwing money out of the club for any has been couldn't they have bought the stadium themselves rather than wasting it on Gareth Hock etc?

I think, like all the ''top down'' entrepreneurial types (who know what's best) he was hoping that success on the field would lead to increased crowds, increased sponsorship and then create enough surplus cash to reduce his own exposure first, before increasing the clubs long term liabilities.

Being entrepreneurial, I guess he was determined (cue Frank Sinatra backing track) to do it his way (which is the same way as all the other failed attempts at ''top down development'') but hey, it was his money. 

2 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Is there any way the AJ Bell can be deemed "iconic"?

(Asking for a friend)

My friend asked me to ask you why? 

8 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

Yes it is. I have been to the Moor Lane Stadium. There is literally no parking anywhere near (every car parked anywhere near when I went, had a ticket on it at the end of the game) and it is about 2 miles from the nearest tram station. It is even moor in the middle of nowhere than the AJ Bell, and there is no pub anywhere near either.

Oooooh that goes on the negative side of the spring balance then. I'd never heard of it, but I looked on Google at some pics and could see there was no parking there. Apparently there's a park and ride somewhere nearby? Or is that not true?

It would make sense, wouldn't it, to build or convert space there into a beer garden, pub or several bars even. Not necessarily for the revenue (although it all helps) but to make it a more attractive place to be, for the fans, gagging for a pint, when they get off the park and ride bus. 

I’d be amazed if Moor Lane didn’t become anything other than housing, proceeds to Neville & Co as a thank you for bailing the council out of their liabilities for the AJ Bell when they move in their Man Utd tribute act.

39 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Oooooh that goes on the negative side of the spring balance then. I'd never heard of it, but I looked on Google at some pics and could see there was no parking there. Apparently there's a park and ride somewhere nearby? Or is that not true?

It would make sense, wouldn't it, to build or convert space there into a beer garden, pub or several bars even. Not necessarily for the revenue (although it all helps) but to make it a more attractive place to be, for the fans, gagging for a pint, when they get off the park and ride bus. 

No park and ride as far as I know. And unless the moor itself is converted into space for parking and pubs, there is no scope for any facilities like that. I expect the locals would prevent the moor being used, otherwise surely Salford FC would have done it.

Should never have moved from the Willows. Yes, it was a dump, but it was Salfords Dump and as a Leigh fan, had great craics there and had many a pint with some great RL fans.

Jumped ship early in my opinion, especially when Cas and Wakefield will do nothing with their relics, but the AJ Bell is one of the most dullish, ugliest new stadiums ever built. John Wilkinson infactuation of modernisation never really materialised in my opinion.

Leigh did it right by staying withing walking distance of the Town Centre, but good luck to Salford. The unfortunate thing is that Sale fill it and are only a couple of Junctions up. If only something could be done to get a ground of some ilk suitable for both Salford and Swinton moving could be a blessing in disguise !

5 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Aside from anything else, I honestly hope Salford get this sorted out and can learn from the situation. I don’t want them to fail. 

But having them as the bar at which others must strive is an indication of everything that is wrong with SL, namely.....OK so they get no crowds to write home about and are always in financial dire straits but can *you* do any better? I’m sorry but It’s not good enough.

It is a low bar, quite a depressing one, but them not being very good off-field is no reason to gleefully wish relegation upon them (as some seem to stray into) or believe that there are scores of teams below who would be an upgrade *even on the business plan terms that show Salford are struggling*.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I’d be amazed if Moor Lane didn’t become anything other than housing, proceeds to Neville & Co as a thank you for bailing the council out of their liabilities for the AJ Bell when they move in their Man Utd tribute act.

Seen many a non league game at Moor Lane before Mr Neville & his entourage knocked the charismatic Main Stand down and turned a pleasant ground into a legoland box. The current Salford Football Club have zero credibility in the wider round ball community, it would be extremely negative for Salford RL to get entangled with millionaire playboys looking for a 15 minute hobby.

The AJ Bell is pants as a place to watch sport in any case, like others on here have commented, it was a regrettable decision to dump The Willows.

Best objective moving forward is for Salford RL to regroup financially and for an interim period move in cost effectively with a local non league venue. Rochdale Mayfield at the cheaper end, maybe Altrincham FC or the football ground used by Ashton if the budget allows, all would fit the current support numbers who would be willing to travel a bit further until a genuine home can be financed.

11 minutes ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Seen many a non league game at Moor Lane before Mr Neville & his entourage knocked the charismatic Main Stand down and turned a pleasant ground into a legoland box. The current Salford Football Club have zero credibility in the wider round ball community, it would be extremely negative for Salford RL to get entangled with millionaire playboys looking for a 15 minute hobby.

The AJ Bell is pants as a place to watch sport in any case, like others on here have commented, it was a regrettable decision to dump The Willows.

Best objective moving forward is for Salford RL to regroup financially and for an interim period move in cost effectively with a local non league venue. Rochdale Mayfield at the cheaper end, maybe Altrincham FC or the football ground used by Ashton if the budget allows, all would fit the current support numbers who would be willing to travel a bit further until a genuine home can be financed.

Salford is far from a hopeless case

AJ Bell need all year usage to make it work . We play in summer remember. Until Premier RU move seasons ( and it will happen in due course ) Salford's base to me seems safe.

The Salford / Manchester relationship is like no other in the UK. It's like a heart split in two. But they are in reality both the same.

The RFL have just moved to the Etihad . Facilities  everywhere. including spectator capacity

Now if for instance  I was a a wandering Swinton  owner I would be making a hare line to that destination...

12 hours ago, fighting irish said:

One big happy family. 

Yeah, yet another myth down the drain.

The self preservation society rules okay!

Andy Capp - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

51 minutes ago, Ramon Rojo said:

Comedy gold 😂😂😂

Well done 

I think Salford have been unlucky,with their original well- intentioned plans hit by the banking crisis of 2008 curtailing them.

https://www.leisureopportunities.co.uk/news/Salford-stadium-company-in-administration/76223

Dr Koukash is a property developer so another stadium,if land could be found,wouldn't seem to be completely out of the question

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/koukash-angry-stadium-plan-suffers-8700287

If any club,and supporters,can do it tough,Salford can.

Always in the news and always keeping going.

Good luck to 'em!

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

It is a low bar, quite a depressing one, but them not being very good off-field is no reason to gleefully wish relegation upon them (as some seem to stray into) or believe that there are scores of teams below who would be an upgrade *even on the business plan terms that show Salford are struggling*.

Andy Capp - 5th December 2018 - Mirror Online

26 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Andy Capp - 5th December 2018 - Mirror Online

Gosh, not read any Andy Cap since a wee lad... is it Andy's grand son... or is he still going.

Took me back to when but a boy waiting for me dad to come home, and first thing taking his folded over Mirror newspaper from his back pocket to turn as quickly as possible to Andy... once having managed to smooth the folds out to some degree...

his other back pocket always had a equally folded Horse Racing paper...

9 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Should never have moved from the Willows. Yes, it was a dump, but it was Salfords Dump and as a Leigh fan, had great craics there and had many a pint with some great RL fans.

Leigh did it right by staying withing walking distance of the Town Centre, but good luck to Salford. The unfortunate thing is that Sale fill it and are only a couple of Junctions up. If only something could be done to get a ground of some ilk suitable for both Salford and Swinton moving could be a blessing in disguise !

Very good post, I enjoyed the Willows. Given that Salford appear to have no benefactor and don't run an academy as they can't afford it,  and now they face losing their "modern" ground, your mention of "Leigh did it right" makes me think that Leigh are likely to remain in Superleague for 2022 regardless of results?? 

5 minutes ago, steve oates said:

Very good post, I enjoyed the Willows. Given that Salford appear to have no benefactor and don't run an academy as they can't afford it,  and now they face losing their "modern" ground, your mention of "Leigh did it right" makes me think that Leigh are likely to remain in Superleague for 2022 regardless of results?? 

This news is potentially heartbreaking.

I watched my first live pro' game on a gloriously sunny day, at the Willows when I was sixteen and saw David Watkins break the record for the number of goals kicked in a season, playing along with his minder, Colin Dixon.

I was completely hooked.

Played there myself about 10 years later and got completely stuffed.

My only consolation was collecting the bonus for making most tackles. 

4 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

This news is potentially heartbreaking.

I watched my first live pro' game on a gloriously sunny day, at the Willows when I was sixteen and saw David Watkins break the record for the number of goals kicked in a season, playing along with his minder, Colin Dixon.

I was completely hooked.

Played there myself about 10 years later and got completely stuffed.

My only consolation was collecting the bonus for making most tackles. 

Thank you for the reply. I saw David watkins several times and he was a superstar. A friend of mine and myself were ispired by Blackpool's feat of getting to the John Player Final so we got in his Ford Capri and went to the Willows where the final was against Cas to cheer on Borough. 

So Salford add nothing ?

Which Million £ game is the most talked about, especially with non RL fans?

Which cup final was the closest and most exciting in recent year?

Which play off attracted the most attention in recent years because it was a new face?

There is a clue in there somewhere.

There may be fans that want a closed shop of 6 teams such as St Helens, Wigan, Leeds and Warrington  but fans would soon be bored of that and Sky wouldn't pay for it if viewing figures drop.

Some fans might not believe that teams such as Salford, Huddersfield, Wakefield add anything but the sport  would be poorer with out them all.

Salford need to attract investment and I hope that the sponsorship by Morson will mean that Salford continue to play at AJ Bell. They will however need to pay the rent.

59 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

So Salford add nothing ?

Which Million £ game is the most talked about, especially with non RL fans?

Which cup final was the closest and most exciting in recent year?

Which play off attracted the most attention in recent years because it was a new face?

There is a clue in there somewhere.

There may be fans that want a closed shop of 6 teams such as St Helens, Wigan, Leeds and Warrington  but fans would soon be bored of that and Sky wouldn't pay for it if viewing figures drop.

Some fans might not believe that teams such as Salford, Huddersfield, Wakefield add anything but the sport  would be poorer with out them all.

Salford need to attract investment and I hope that the sponsorship by Morson will mean that Salford continue to play at AJ Bell. They will however need to pay the rent.

I don't think anyone has an issue with what Salford have achieved on the field in recent times, but the truth is that that Million Pound Game, the Grand Final appearance and everything else doesn't really seem to be translating into increased interest in Salford, the competition or more cash in the till. 

The argument is not about whether or not the sport needs "underdog stories", but whether the sport needs clubs that seem to go from crisis to crisis, bucket collection to bucket collection, still can't pay a salary cap that is way lower than it should be and still can't generate interest despite their successes. It's possible to have the first one without the second. 

Archived