Week 1 - Hunslet (Away)

Cant believe we don't have a thread for Sundays opening game! Always a tough place to go even though we have enjoyed success recently, any team news? quite worrying when Chris said on the website the other day 'with a couple of suspensions and couple of potential injury doubts' not what you want to hear going into week 1 😞

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At last a game to look forward to. Will certainly be a hard game as will most games given the quality of players some teams have signed.  I listened to Paul Crarey talking after their friendly against them, he said he thought Barrow were a big team but Hunslet were massive. It will depend how we cope with their size probably. A real shame that Marcus and Perry, 2 of our real hard hitters, are missing but hopefully we can give a good account of ourselves. Given that it’s really Chris’s first full year of a 4 year deal, I’m just looking for improvement week on week and we’ll be somewhere near at the end of the season. UTT 

Looking forward to watching us play. We produced some really nice stuff from our one and only friendly. Let's just hope we can start with a win. 

Personally looking forward to seeing Hanley Dawson pick up from where he left off and hopefully se Marwood continue his progression. Still no word of what the situation is with Miller?

Good luck! Lads will be bouncing out their skin.

8 hours ago, townie88 said:

Looking forward to watching us play. We produced some really nice stuff from our one and only friendly. Let's just hope we can start with a win. 

Personally looking forward to seeing Hanley Dawson pick up from where he left off and hopefully se Marwood continue his progression. Still no word of what the situation is with Miller?

Good luck! Lads will be bouncing out their skin.

Think Miller has problems with his back, but like arnie he will be back 😷

We have 2 players suspended for our first match v Hunslet. In virtually every Super league game I’ve watched since, I’ve seen at least 2 incidents which have been at least as bad as the ones in the Barrow match..... yet no suspensions, and hardly any penalties awarded!

Talk about one rule for us and one for them!

Be interesting to see who our 17 is. Chris got some tough decisions to make. 

I'd go;

Fell, young, Wellington, Moore, Holroyd, doran, forber, Fitz, Dec, Clarke, Barnes, lightowler, Dawson

Subs - curwen, Wilson, Henson, Brown

2 suspended, and 4 (key) players apparently injured, the experience and talent of Maudling seemingly out of the equation now, and a lot of new players and combinations. I think we probably could have done with a bit more experience in the squad. So already a big ask but at least we're playing again. UTT

Be prepared for injuries guys. Every team in the Championship is suffering. The 12+ months lay off, lack of contact and rule changes speeding the game up are definitely having an effect on all teams. Good luck today.

Good luck today lads just try your best that's all we ask for, it's just great to be back , well done everyone involved at town , cleaners , bar staff, grounds men, volunteers, sponsors,  directors, coaching team, and players, the fan's appreciate everything you have done to get us back UTT 🔵⚪

Just fantastic to have the game back and the buy in as a fan that gives you the butterflies beforehand that you don't get watching other teams. Just to echo what HTR says above, big thanks to everyone working to keep it going over the last year or so.

We have a lot of inexperienced lads in our squad but I know our coaching staff will have them prepared well. So just let's see what this season brings and enjoy it again. UTT.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

Nothing on the radio link. 

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Got it now. We seem to be playing well but, as expected, we are struggling to hold their bigger men in the middle. Hopefully they will tire quicker in the second half. 

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Impressed with that. Yes a couple of errors but the organisation in defence and willingness to move the ball was great. All the debutants have really stood up and are looking good, thought Lightowler in the first 20 was  excellent and Marty Henson looks like he’s been there a long time and Bickerdike is playing really well. There big guys are making yards but we haven’t taken a backward step. More off the same 2nd half. UTT

Apart from 2 poor goal line defence efforts we haven’t been too bad. Hunslet have not looked like scoring from open play. We need to use Holroyd more he looks a real live wire when he gets a running opportunity.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

2 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Apart from 2 poor goal line defence efforts we haven’t been too bad. Hunslet have not looked like scoring from open play. We need to use Holroyd more he looks a real live wire when he gets a running opportunity.

Calvin switching off at the play the ball was massive as it lead to there second try, we need to be 100% on it .

Archived