Fax at Home

15 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

So predictable and slow with it!

Halifax came with a game plan and stuck to it. 
Dewsbury asked “What’s a game plan?”.

Even Silcoates has now joined in with pessimism, but it is justified. 

We have one game plan. Oakes and  Gabriel take the first two drives every time. Then 3 one man drives to get near the line and then Finn chips uncontested to the opposition.

Given Gabriel has scored some tries from kicks you think a kick to his corner might better.

Halifax were streets better in every department. Swinton will be rubbing their hands.

I hoped this season wouldnt be another relegation battle, but I think it will be.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, scally said:

we have no game plan at all only go out there and lose. the worse display i have seen in years, time for greenwood to go before its too late.

One poor performance this season and you’re calling for the head coach to be sacked!? Absolutely pathetic. 

Today's competition 

Dewsbury Rams performance today was _______________

Please insert the missing word

There's a few ideas below 🤔

Pathetic, embarrassing, inept, lacking desire, rudderless, toothless, devoid of ideas, clueless, no direction, rubbish, ######

Answers on a postcard to 

Tetley stadium

Owl Lane

Shaw Cross

Dewsbury

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

18 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

One poor performance this season and you’re calling for the head coach to be sacked!? Absolutely pathetic. 

Think it's the Manner of the defeat today that's hurt the fans, we've a really tough game next week vs Swinton which personally on today's showing we've no chance of winning, the old saying "you can only dig holes with the spades you have"....... It's time to get down to B&Q and get some new sharper ones.. Cos ours are quite blunt🤔

1 hour ago, Moscow01 said:

You were poor against Bradford average against York 

terrible today I bet the error count was awful - forward passes from dummy half It’s basic football 

Jonny Schofield summed it up all Dewsbury had to do was go set for set and hit Ryder or Walton with a decent line they’d of scored instead Finn Sykes and both 9s struggled behind a poor pack... 

I think you’ll be ok this year to stay up and maybe trouble 6-7th spot but that depends on errors & turning up for each other... fax fans were not happy with fax’s start to the season with grix under pressure instead Greenwood is... 

9 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

Whitehaven away Bradford away?? and now Halifax at home. Its more than 1 poor performance. To be nilled at home is pathetic by a very average team

Other than Toulouse, Fev and maybe York the rest of the teams in this division are quite evenly matched.

Oldham beat Halifax one week, then get thrashed by Whitehaven a week later on their own pitch. 

There’s been some crazy results so far. But when you think that Dewsbury have one of the lowest playing budgets in this division I think two wins from the first five games is OK. A win against Swinton - hopefully with some of our better players back - and things will look a lot better. 

This is no time to panic.

3 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

Other than Toulouse, Fev and maybe York the rest of the teams in this division are quite evenly matched.

Oldham beat Halifax one week, then get thrashed by Whitehaven a week later on their own pitch. 

There’s been some crazy results so far. But when you think that Dewsbury have one of the lowest playing budgets in this division I think two wins from the first five games is OK. A win against Swinton - hopefully with some of our better players back - and things will look a lot better. 

This is no time to panic.

Not a time to panic but we do need some consistency. My summary so far

Whitehaven A. 2 poor halves.             Whitehaven H poor 1st half solid 2nd half.                                                Widnes A 2 solid halves but Widnes were dire

Bradford A poor 1st half, solid 2nd half but game already lost 

York H two decent halves against a team who've spent a lot.    

Halifax H two poor halves against a good but not brilliant team.                

Unfortunately it seems we can only grind out wins with high completion and low error/penalty rates and our pattern is so predictable it's easy to counter. Dummies, grubber kicks, inside passes, switches of direction, even contested kicks which Gabriel is good at rarely if non-existent.

21 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Not a time to panic but we do need some consistency. My summary so far

Whitehaven A. 2 poor halves.             Whitehaven H poor 1st half solid 2nd half.                                                Widnes A 2 solid halves but Widnes were dire

Bradford A poor 1st half, solid 2nd half but game already lost 

York H two decent halves against a team who've spent a lot.    

Halifax H two poor halves against a good but not brilliant team.                

Unfortunately it seems we can only grind out wins with high completion and low error/penalty rates and our pattern is so predictable it's easy to counter. Dummies, grubber kicks, inside passes, switches of direction, even contested kicks which Gabriel is good at rarely if non-existent.

Fair summary. My real beef is that neither of our half backs, admirably venerable as they are, takes the ball to the line. Other coaches have seen this and can set their defences up accordingly - they know who the runners will be and what move will be used in specific parts of the pitch.

Far too predictable, in other words.

Will the same team/squad be picked for next Monday?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

20 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

One poor performance this season…..

None of our performances has been good this year. There is no variety to our game, as explained by BSJ above. Even the two wins were more workmanlike, than creative in my opinion, but the defence in those two games was better than in any subsequent match thus far.

I think it’s time for the coach to think carefully about his selection before Monday’s encounter, but would that change the lack of creativity if all our players are coached the same way?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

14 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

None of our performances has been good this year. There is no variety to our game, as explained by BSJ above. Even the two wins were more workmanlike, than creative in my opinion, but the defence in those two games was better than in any subsequent match thus far.

I think it’s time for the coach to think carefully about his selection before Monday’s encounter, but would that change the lack of creativity if all our players are coached the same way?

There are no other players, unless Day and Knowles return.

If Knowles has been isolating, I think he will return, but of Day, I don’t know the extent of his injury. 
He could bring back Tomlinson (why he has been dropped I am uncertain), then use the likes of Smith, Davies, Schofield and Thornton. If he is not going to select them, then why have them in the squad. He could try Dixon and Carr, but the current wingers have done their jobs okay. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Not having a pop here, just asking a question.

What have Finn and Sykes played like so far? They have both been decent players over the years and have bags of experience but It only struck me the other day that Finn is 37 and Sykes is 39. That is pretty old for any pro RL player but particularly for a halfback pairing.

4 hours ago, Fax Machine said:

What have Finn and Sykes played like so far? They have both been decent players over the years and have bags of experience but It only struck me the other day that Finn is 37 and Sykes is 39. That is pretty old for any pro RL player but particularly for a halfback pairing.

Both quality players who use their brains and put the younger ones into gaps to do the hard stuff.😀😀😀

5 hours ago, Fax Machine said:

That's part of the issue is neither player takes on the line, so defences can ignore them.

Tough watch that, especially to make a poor Fax team look half decent!

Missed Sam Day to spark and speed it up, but too many mistakes and too predictable.

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

13 hours ago, Crown Flatter said:

If Knowles has been isolating, I think he will return, but of Day, I don’t know the extent of his injury. 
He could bring back Tomlinson (why he has been dropped I am uncertain), then use the likes of Smith, Davies, Schofield and Thornton. If he is not going to select them, then why have them in the squad. He could try Dixon and Carr, but the current wingers have done their jobs okay. 

Not sure either of the players we brought in on loan (windrow and Beckett) are better than the ones you mentioned above.

Players like Scott, Reilly and Nelmes would certainly have been better options but they have all now left the club.

rambo.gif

I agree with most of the above comments and will just add a few more:-

1) All our players have been fully committed to the games played so far and have shown toughness, effort, drive and a desire to win. It is disappointing for them as well as us the fans when they lose.  
2) The forwards are a strong capable pack but instead of playing as a pack, play as individuals. They need to start working as a group and inter passing among themselves before getting the ball out to the backs. Rarely does the ball reach the backs from single forward runs 
3)  Our wingers always seem to restart the game after a stoppage by running the ball into the opponent’s forwards in the middle of the field. Possibly the lightest and smallest player in our team running into opposition forwards seems to me to be physically dangerous. When can we give them a run down the touch line? 
4) We need to take the ball in closer to the opposition before passing, as our moves are too obvious at the moment. This is not helped by one of our halfbacks lacking pace and invariably standing still when initiating a move. Also the halfback should be one of the prime movers in the team and not playing the ball at a restart, or standing behind the play the ball and not in the attacking line. 
5) Our lack of cover on the edges is worrying as opponents seem to have realised that a quick passing move to the touch line area will invariably get round our defence. Is this just an inability to number off mainly on our right wing?
6) We need a variety of attacking moves as too many kicks to the corner are monotonous. 
7) The effort is already there. — we just need more flair.

11 hours ago, Rambo said:

Not sure either of the players we brought in on loan (windrow and Beckett) are better than the ones you mentioned above.

Players like Scott, Reilly and Nelmes would certainly have been better options but they have all now left the club.

I opine that the above players didn’t see eye to eye with the coach, hence their departure. 

Legs, Dews, Legs.

14 hours ago, Piggy's mate said:

Tough watch that, especially to make a poor Fax team look half decent!

Missed Sam Day to spark and speed it up, but too many mistakes and too predictable.

"Poor Fax team?"    Toulouse, who I believe are the strongest team in the Championship, have only conceded 40 points so far and 34 of those were scored by Fax! Our form so far has been a bit erratic but, having lost 3 out of 5, we still have a points difference of +54 and IIRC have the 3rd best attack and the 6th best defence so far. We can't be that poor.

I’m a bit confused by fans’ expectations. If the players give it their all but are turned over by a club that has a wage bill two or three times ours, then what’s the problem? Every now and again you have a game where everything goes wrong and you’re spanked. Bradford were thrashed by Sheffield, Widnes have been spanked plenty of times already, Oldham got tonked on their own pitch by Whitehaven. There’s going to be some very strange results in this division.  

Listen, we’d love to be challenging the best teams at the top of the table come late summer, but that’s cloud cuckoo land. 

The club has been wrapped in short term thinking for too many seasons now. At least this head coach has come in and put things in place to try and make us competitive on the field now, as well as bringing in players that could be here for a long time, rather than mercenaries who just want good wages and who will move on at the end of the season if a better offer comes. 

59 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

I’m a bit confused by fans’ expectations. If the players give it their all but are turned over by a club that has a wage bill two or three times ours, then what’s the problem? Every now and again you have a game where everything goes wrong and you’re spanked. Bradford were thrashed by Sheffield, Widnes have been spanked plenty of times already, Oldham got tonked on their own pitch by Whitehaven. There’s going to be some very strange results in this division.  

Listen, we’d love to be challenging the best teams at the top of the table come late summer, but that’s cloud cuckoo land. 

The club has been wrapped in short term thinking for too many seasons now. At least this head coach has come in and put things in place to try and make us competitive on the field now, as well as bringing in players that could be here for a long time, rather than mercenaries who just want good wages and who will move on at the end of the season if a better offer comes. 

Well said sir!

But if Sykes and Finn will be there for 'a long time' does this mean they'll be playing I to their fifties? 😃😃

seriously though I agree with everything you say.

My club Batley have started the season in tremendous style,but you just watch the critics line up when/if we lose to London on Saturday.

it will be ridiculous,the expectations some people will have.

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.

Archived