We are now at the stage where we can argue on here whenever we want. You just need to get your phone or iPad out and away you go. But it wasn't always like this, once upon a time back in the stone age you had to sit down at an actual PC to browse the olde world internet, via Netscape or some early browser. I used to use the workstations in Bradford Uni in the early net days around 1995 but having a home pc was a ludicrous pipe dream. 

How did you access the internet then? 

It was the reverse here. I had a home PC long before the Internet.

I only got internet in about 2008, mainly because I wasn't interested in getting it. I went 10 years without a computer then finally caved in 2008.

I spent about £1500 on a PC in 1996 and it wasn't even Internet ready. Within3-4 months it was obsolete and you could buy and all singing all powerful PC with dial up connection, sound and everything for less than half price.

Dial up Internet.... seems pre-historic now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First got internet in 1994, AOL dial up with 56k per minute maximum. Used to take hours to download a single song.

• Haha 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

47 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Dial up Internet.... seems pre-historic now.

I was regularly told "Get off the bloody internet, I need to make a call" :):)

24 minutes ago, Derwent said:

First got internet in 1994, AOL dial up with 56k per minute maximum. Used to take hours to download a single song.

I remember that! 😁

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

It was the reverse here. I had a home PC long before the Internet.

I only got internet in about 2008, mainly because I wasn't interested in getting it. I went 10 years without a computer then finally caved in 2008.

I had a laptop for years before I got an internet connection too. We had the internet at work, so it wasn't like I'd never used it before.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

2002, someone I was working with (NHS) showed me how useful it could be, helped me build a computer, and connect me to interwebby, and thats where my user name comes from.

Still not fully compliant, but enough to annyoe you people.

Where were you last Thursday?

And WRT to the ‘Wakefield boss receives death threats’ thread on the main board....I think this ease of access and instant response doesn’t help the problem of online abuse. Rather than stewing on something for a few hours people can type things that they maybe don’t really mean or after cooling down might reply differently.

People might remember when Mick Gledhill (once of this parish) was ridiculed for posting scores on a bulls game from Odsal as they happened. The consensus was that he was following the game on the radio but trying to make out he was at the game. Which nowadays wouldn’t even raise an eyebrow but then it was a case of ‘how can he be at the game and on the internet at the same time’? This was before smartphones of course.

• Like 1

We used to get up early on a Saturday morning and go to the tech where they had free internet from something like 9-12. I'd have a box of floppy disks and try and get as much as I could to take home.

I even remember the first time I ever saw streaming. We got a new PC around maybe '98 or '99, and I went on Sky Sports website to watch an interview with Arsene Wenger that didn't need to load. It was like magic.

I try to explain to my class what not having the Internet was like and I always fail. To modern kids it's impossible to imagine. 

• Like 1

the king of african kumbuland was only a very young prince when i started sending him money to feed his family back in those days- now he is the king he will come and pay me back once covid restrictions are over- but for now i get lots of pictures back of otto and everyone as long i keep sending him my bank details 

• Haha 2

did the bloke who invented the phrase "one hit wonder" invent anything else?

25 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

We used to get up early on a Saturday morning and go to the tech where they had free internet from something like 9-12. I'd have a box of floppy disks and try and get as much as I could to take home.

I even remember the first time I ever saw streaming. We got a new PC around maybe '98 or '99, and I went on Sky Sports website to watch an interview with Arsene Wenger that didn't need to load. It was like magic.

I try to explain to my class what not having the Internet was like and I always fail. To modern kids it's impossible to imagine. 

My eldest son is 32 and sort of grew up without the internet, until he was 8 or 9 or so anyway. He’s a web designer and grew up totally comfortable with it. My other son is 25 and daughter 19, she especially can’t comprehend there not being an internet, like it is a ludicrous idea. I also try to explain to my son (a very keen gamer) that we had to go to a cafe or something and pay 10p for each game you wanted to play. 

My granddaughter is almost 7. She has as much savvy using her tablet as I have. She just could not grasp life without her tablet. 

Today we had my 3yo grandson for a couple of hours. It was refreshing to see him do a jig saw and then play in the garden without using his kindle. 

I look at use of tech with suspicion. It def has its place and they are a great learning tool. But there is so much more out there for them 

• Like 1

Are you using the internet or world wide web?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I also try to explain to my son (a very keen gamer) that we had to go to a cafe or something and pay 10p for each game you wanted to play. 

In the village I grew up in the only video game was in the chip shop where crowds of youths would gather to await their turn on the machine. The owner used to change the machine every 3 or 4 months and there was palpable excitement waiting to see what he was bringing in. Would it be Space Invaders or Galaxian ? Maybe Breakout or Pac-Man ? Or something really exciting like Asteroids ? I don’t know how we coped with the stress of it all.

• Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Just now, Derwent said:

In the village I grew up in the only video game was in the chip shop where crowds of youths would gather to await their turn on the machine. The owner used to change the machine every 3 or 4 months and there was palpable excitement waiting to see what he was bringing in. Would it be Space Invaders or Galaxian ? Maybe Breakout or Pac-Man ? Or something really exciting like Asteroids ? I don’t know how we coped with the stress of it all.

Absolutely right. 
Maybe we were spoilt as the curry house had Space Invaders AND Asteroids (which I was the king of) Then another cafe further down had PacMan and another sit down game AND a Battlezone (game like you were driving a tank) 

I'm sick to death of being stuck at traffic lights while the moron in front of me checks their bloody Facebook or twatter page when the light goes green 

Stupid invention 

Edited by GUBRATS
2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I'm sick to death of being stuck at traffic lights while the moron in front of me checks their bloody Facebook or twatter page when the light goes green 

Stupid invention 

The rant thread is over there ——> Grandad! 

• Haha 6
26 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Www.com./.net.co.uk.com 

I think 

The internet existed in a command line form as a means of exchanging data but was hard work for the home user to use or understand. That world still exists, the invention of an animal named the WWW provided a layer above that that we use in general on our fancy devices.

Somewhat simplified.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Just now, Padge said:

The internet existed in a command line form as a means of exchanging data but was hard work for the home user to use or understand. That world still exists, the invention of an animal named the WWW provided a layer above that that we use in general on our fancy devices.

Somewhat simplified.

I knew you would be on another level. 😂😂

1 hour ago, Padge said:

Somewhat simplified.

t'internet??...... pfft, I've already explained to my gaffer at work that when I get his job I'm pulling all the computer sockets out of the wall.

It's now become something we rely on, rather than something that assists us.....

who the fuff needs an app to order organic carrots to be delivered to your to your house?  just sow the seeds like the bloke you are ordering them from...

• Thanks 1

Wibble

47 minutes ago, voteronniegibbs said:

t'internet??...... pfft, I've already explained to my gaffer at work that when I get his job I'm pulling all the computer sockets out of the wall.

It's now become something we rely on, rather than something that assists us.....

who the fuff needs an app to order organic carrots to be delivered to your to your house?  just sow the seeds like the bloke you are ordering them from...

Egggsactly

• Like 1