Ronan Michael

• Damien changed the title to Ronan Michael

18 minutes ago, Damien said:

Good read.  I love the reference to This Sporting Life.

“In the iconic rugby league movie, This Sporting Life, two main characters Frank Machin and Mrs Weaver have a tetchy exchange. “We don’t have stars in this game, Mrs Weaver, that’s soccer,” says the Richard Harris character, Machin. “What DO you have,” shoots Mrs Weaver. “People like me,” says Machin.”

I don't think I've ever seen Rugby League given that level of prominence in The Irish Times before.

In fact I don't think I've ever seen Rugby League mentioned in The Irish Times before.

Without wanting to restart the heritage player debate again, it shows how important it is to have home grown players that journalists here can build a story around.

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

There has to be a lot of talented athletes in Ireland who would make very good Rugby League players

My 8 year old son regularly tells his teammates at his Union club that he'd rather be playing Rugby League because it's better. I don't know if he'll ever play for Ireland or anything, but I'm hopeful he'll have a long career of hiding Union mags at newsagents.

15 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

What a fantastic article. I do wonder how many more Ronan Michaels there are out there 

10 hours ago, The Future is League said:

There has to be a lot of talented athletes in Ireland who would make very good Rugby League players

The majority of Super League players come from Leeds, Wigan and the surrounding areas. There is nothing special in the water in these places, there are plenty of people who could make it in Rugby League in Ireland as there are in Wales.

20 hours ago, Ant said:

Tons of potential, like McGillvary when  he joined the Giants he needs to learn the game by playing

Whitehaven is a good place to learn under ex Giants coach Thorman 

Thorman is at Workington Ant, When he first came on for his debut for the U19's at Lockwood Park 3 and a bit years ago, he'd only ever played a few games for Longhorns back home and he took a while to get the RU traits out of his game 🙂

Within 6 months he was representing Ireland U18's in the European cup competition in Serbia and a year later represented Ireland in the world cup qualifying competition.

Some rise that, no wonder the Irish are rightly proud of him!

20 hours ago, Ant said:

Tons of potential, like McGillvary when  he joined the Giants he needs to learn the game by playing

Whitehaven is a good place to learn under ex Giants coach Thorman 

Thorman at Whitehaven,didn’t know he’d moved onto bigger & better things 

On 07/05/2021 at 22:18, CrushersForever said:

My 8 year old son regularly tells his teammates at his Union club that he'd rather be playing Rugby League because it's better. I don't know if he'll ever play for Ireland or anything, but I'm hopeful he'll have a long career of hiding Union mags at newsagents.

That is solid parenting right there! Kudos to you my friend. 

Archived