V’landys Faces NRLs Biggest Test: Blowout Scores (Merged threads)

On 16/06/2021 at 09:11, unapologetic pedant said:

Accepting that a wider than usual gap has emerged between top and bottom, rather than rule changes I think the main reason is poor roster management at some clubs related to the greater tendency in recent years to sack coaches.

I don't know how you can possibly say that when even games between the 'better' teams have had lopsided scores more often than not.

The new rules and 'interpretations' were poorly thought out and rushed through, and have added even more subjectivity into a rule set that already had way too much subjectivity in it. As a result the game is now more predictable, boring, and confusing, than it's ever been.

Add on top of that that the whole philosophy that is taken to officiating in the NRL has needed to change for about a decade now, and huge swaths of the fan-base are rapidly getting frustrated and losing interest. They're doing it in the worst way possible as well. Not with any furore or protest, they're simply switching off and watching less and less NRL.

It reminds of me of when RU effectively died as a major sport in Australia. A very negative and boring style of play became dominant in early 00s, and that on top of a whole bunch of other issues was the straw that broke the camel's back, and by the early 10s RU was effectively a zombie in Australia.

BTW, I also love how it's "poor roster management" and not that the salary cap hasn't been updated to cope with changes in the modern world, which has made an already janky and easily circumvented system borderline worthless, with some teams having huge inherent advantages over the others that means you have a handful of teams whose second, and sometimes third string, players in any given position are better than the starters at a large chunk of the other clubs.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

The new rules and 'interpretations' were poorly thought out and rushed through, and have added even more subjectivity into a rule set that already had way too much subjectivity in it. As a result the game is now more predictable, boring, and confusing, than it's ever been.

Add on top of that that the whole philosophy that is taken to officiating in the NRL has needed to change for about a decade now, and huge swaths of the fan-base are rapidly getting frustrated and losing interest. 

Specifically which "new rules and interpretations" are confusing you and how are they adversely affecting the game? I don`t mean 6-again, I mean the offences 6-again is being called for.

It`s too vague to say the fanbase is frustrated with "the whole philosophy". Spell out precisely what you think the philosophy is.

39 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

with some teams having huge inherent advantages over the others that means you have a handful of teams whose second, and sometimes third string, players in any given position are better than the starters at a large chunk of the other clubs.

Care to set out which "huge inherent advantages" the Storm have over the Broncos?

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/06/2021 at 13:07, Sports Prophet said:

Yep. You are part of the fastest growing demographic of NRL fans.

It might rise and fall slightly from time to time, but the strongest, most reliable demographic is NRL fans who don`t enjoy watching RL.

During the last Covid outbreak, PVL made the mistake of restarting the competition. Which meant more boring blowouts, closer games full of dull play, high error counts, officials missing forward passes, the bunker... all the things people are sick of.

South Sydney attracted hordes of RL fans when they stopped playing RL games. Once they were re-admitted to the NRL, and started playing games again, the crowds dissipated.

The challenge for PVL is to monetise the interest in not playing games. Instead of fans marching to town halls, hold demonstrations at Stadium Australia where fans could be charged for admission. All the Sydney clubs could probably attract AFL-sized attendances.

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

South Sydney attracted hordes of RL fans when they stopped playing RL games. Once they were re-admitted to the NRL, and started playing games again, the crowds dissipated.

The challenge for PVL is to monetise the interest in not playing games. Instead of fans marching to town halls, hold demonstrations at Stadium Australia where fans could be charged for admission. All the Sydney clubs could probably attract AFL-sized attendances.

You might be onto something there, and taking all of yesterday’s fixtures into the argument, it appears only half the teams have bought into this new strategy. I think the Raiders, Cowboys and Bulldogs were all amazing in the way they did not play over the course of the full 80 minutes.

I hope the Broncos continue their dominance today in this “not playing” strategy.

Rd 1 - TWM 143 / twelve or < 2 / eighteen or < 5

Rd 2 - TWM 85 / twelve or < 5 / eighteen or < 6

Rd 3 - TWM 129 / twelve or < 4 / eighteen or < 4

Rd 4 - TWM 209 / twelve < 1 / eighteen or < 3

Rd 5 - TWM 136 / twelve or < 3 / eighteen or < 4

Rd 6 - TWM 121 / twelve or < 5 / eighteen  or < 5

Rd 7 - TWM 156 / twelve or < 3 / eighteen or < 4

Rd 8 - TWM 128 / twelve or < 4 / eighteen or < 5

Rd 9 - TWM 154 / twelve or <  4 / eighteen or < 5

Rd 10 - TWM 179 / twelve or < 2 / eighteen or < 5

Rd 11 - TWM 138(not including 1pt ET win for Sharks, suck ship Dragons) / twelve or < 3 / eighteen or < 5

Rd 12 - TWM 153 / twelve or < 2 / eighteen or < 4

Rd 13 (1/2 Rd) - TWM 90 / twelve or < 1 / eighteen or < 1

Rd 14 - TWM - 146 / twelve or < 2 / eighteen or < 3

Rd 15 - TWM - 188 / twelve or < 3 / eighteen or < 3

Rd 16 - TWM - 214 / twelve or < 3 / eighteen or < 4

Well round 16 in the NRL contained a lot of resoundingly underwhelming football this weekend. A new Total Winning Margin record of 214 points. The NRL is in crisis. Seems it always is.

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Rd 11 - TWM 138(not including 1pt ET win for Sharks, suck ship Dragons) / twelve or < 3 / eighteen or < 5

Rd 13 (1/2 Rd) - TWM 90 / twelve or < 1 / eighteen or < 1

Well round 16 in the NRL contained a lot of resoundingly underwhelming football this weekend. A new Total Winning Margin record of 214 points. The NRL is in crisis. Seems it always is.

You have too much time on your hands lad..... any chance you can do one for league 1??

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

The first 4 results of Round 16 were, 46-0, 19-18, 13-12, 66-0.

So for the first half of the round, the aggregate of winning margins was 114 and the average winning margin was 28.5. And yet 2 of the 4 games were decided by the narrowest of possible margins.

Stats which help you claim the NRL is in crisis, don`t tell the full story.

15 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I think the Raiders, Cowboys and Bulldogs were all amazing in the way they did not play over the course of the full 80 minutes.

The Fox League Saturday ratings were Knights/Cowboys 241k, Raiders/Titans 233k, Bulldogs/Sea-Eagles 174k. All roughly par for the course in their timeslots.

I`ve said before that I don`t know how long someone has to watch to be counted, so those figures might not be the full story either, but there`s no evidence of a drop due to blowouts. Perhaps some RL fans enjoy watching great attacking RL.

And if you`re interested in "resoundingly underwhelming football this weekend". -

Sydney Swans 118 West Coast Eagles 26

I`m using the word "football" very loosely in this context. But I`m grateful for the phrase "resoundingly underwhelming".

2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

The first 4 results of Round 16 were, 46-0, 19-18, 13-12, 66-0.

So for the first half of the round, the aggregate of winning margins was 114 and the average winning margin was 28.5. And yet 2 of the 4 games were decided by the narrowest of possible margins.

Stats which help you claim the NRL is in crisis, don`t tell the full story.

The Fox League Saturday ratings were Knights/Cowboys 241k, Raiders/Titans 233k, Bulldogs/Sea-Eagles 174k. All roughly par for the course in their timeslots.

I`ve said before that I don`t know how long someone has to watch to be counted, so those figures might not be the full story either, but there`s no evidence of a drop due to blowouts. Perhaps some RL fans enjoy watching great attacking RL.

And if you`re interested in "resoundingly underwhelming football this weekend". -

Sydney Swans 118 West Coast Eagles 26

I`m using the word "football" very loosely in this context. But I`m grateful for the phrase "resoundingly underwhelming".

Sports prophet is a fumbleball troll

As Wayne Bennett said once we get it right with these new rule changes and teams learn to adapt we are really going to see some great games as opposed to just great teams like we are seeing at the moment.

Check out Sharks /Broncos for what we can expect and in particular the Sharks second try by Connor Tracy as an example of what great League is all about. The pass by Mulitalo is a prime example of the sort of entertainment that League can offer. The game isn`t going to lose too many fans throwing up games like that.

And remember this is a team coming 15th versus a team coming 8th.

Match Highlights: Broncos v Sharks - NRL

If your patient enough have a look at Payne Haas`s effort right at the end, what a sight.

32 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

And remember this is a team coming 15th versus a team coming 8th.

There were some Shaun Johnson-inspired moves in Broncos/Sharks that reminded me of late-80s/ early 90s Rugby League. Which illustrates what`s possible if teams are willing to play from deep and stretch the play out.

Shame there weren`t many people at Suncorp to see it all. But of course who wants to watch a team 15th on the ladder?

That latter dismal attitude is prevalent every year, irrespective of blowout scores, headshot crackdowns, etc.

People perennially thinking, and being taught by the media to think, that great games of RL are not great games of RL, is a far greater problem than Sports Prophet and his avalanche of winning margin statistics.

2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

There were some Shaun Johnson-inspired moves in Broncos/Sharks that reminded me of late-80s/ early 90s Rugby League. Which illustrates what`s possible if teams are willing to play from deep and stretch the play out.

Shame there weren`t many people at Suncorp to see it all. But of course who wants to watch a team 15th on the ladder?

That latter dismal attitude is prevalent every year, irrespective of blowout scores, headshot crackdowns, etc.

People perennially thinking, and being taught by the media to think, that great games of RL are not great games of RL, is a far greater problem than Sports Prophet and his avalanche of winning margin statistics.

There were so many highlights in that game I could have made a list.

That initial run of Johnsons where he was dragged down feet from the line would have brought back bad memories for many English people because it was so reminiscent of a similar run where he scored in the last minutes of a semi-final and knocked England out of the World Cup. From what I remember it was even on the same side of the field. The determined run and off-load by Farnworth for Glen to score would however put a smile back on faces though.

There were covid restrictions on crowd numbers but regardless if the Broncos can continue to recapture a bit of form the crowds will come flocking back. That game had everything. Another highlight for me was the front on shot of Tesi Nui being pursued by Mulitalo, the looks on their faces.

One of the reasons I was so keen to put these highlights up though was to highlight the Mulitalo basket-ball type `hook` pass back inside for Tracy to score, incredible Rugby League, a classic example where League combines the best of several sports.

I just wish I was tech savvy enough to isolate that try and a couple of others that I recall from earlier games so that I could put a `Top Ten Off-loads for 2021`together rather than just the usual ` Top-ten hits` we usually get. In particular there was a bat-on style pass during a Titans game and a grid-iron style pass from a Cronulla player a few weeks back that I would love to highlight.

2 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

There were covid restrictions on crowd numbers but regardless if the Broncos can continue to recapture a bit of form the crowds will come flocking back. 

Was the crowd really restricted to under 14 thousand?

The Broncos` whole season is a compelling advert for a second Brisbane NRL franchise playing at Suncorp. If it were successfully set up, almost certainly one or other team would be going well enough to pull big crowds.

With only one team, and the general tendency for NRL attendances to plummet in response to losses, the way is left clear for a Fumble advance when the Broncos are languishing near the bottom of the ladder. And I`m afraid all precedent indicates that truth will hold however good the NRL games are.

6 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Sports prophet is a fumbleball troll

It`s more rewarding to work on the hypothesis that the balance of Sports Prophet`s NRL/AFL affections is opaque.

And to explore the possibility of fulfilling the motif of the Grace Jones track "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game".

Or to put it all another way.-

"I`m game if you are", said the stag to the hunter.

There’s more points being scored in the NRL this season than in recent years. Rather than indicating a general rise in scoring the worry is that there have been too many one sided blowout results with the second best team in a game getting hammered on the scoreboard. Why? The new rules? A lower general standard in the NRL? Not so much strength in depth?

Mr Talkative himself, Wayne Bennett has been unusually forthcoming on this matter:

Wayne Bennett believes mismanagement at club level is having a huge impact on the blowout scorelines and wants clubs to take “a hell of a lot more responsibility” for the current state of the game.

Three blowout games on Saturday raised a serious concern amongst fans and pundits. The Bulldogs were humiliated by Manly in a 66-nil thrashing. That was followed by the Titans’ 44-6 win over the Raiders and the night was finished off with Newcastle’s comprehensive 38-nil over the Cowboys.

Many have blamed the rule changes, like the six-again rule, however Bennett has pointed the blame on struggling clubs...”

Article here - click

I don't think anyone would ever have expected the Bulldogs to beat Manly by 66 but with the other two games, the Titans’ 44-6 win over the Raiders and Newcastle’s 38-nil over the Cowboys... if the results had gone the other way I don't think they would have been huge shocks (I tipped the Raiders to win so if there was a 38 point win I would have suggested Canberra).

The point I'm making is that there are a lot of big wins but some are not particularly predictable and so the teams are not outrageously mismatched. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

It’s the frequency of these big one sided scores that has increased.

It’s not that they happen but that they happen every week often in several games.

One sided games and score lines are fine if they happen occasionally, but the regularity of them this season must be a cause for concern surely?

And its awful to watch, even worse if you have paid to watch (Like I did for origin 2)

it was an absolute treat to watch the broncos v sharks  game last weekend not because of the quality of the footy but because it was competitive.

Too often I have tuned in to the NRL game on TV and switched channels to AFL game simply because the NRL game is essentially over.

Rds 13 & 17 (1/2 Rds) - TWM 144 / twelve or < 3 / eighteen or < 4

Rd 17 saw some pretty good contests actually. Much needed after the predominantly pitiful performances last week. Doggies and Warriors especially staying in the contest to the end.

On 08/07/2021 at 17:02, Graham said:

It’s the frequency of these big one sided scores that has increased.

It’s not that they happen but that they happen every week often in several games.

One sided games and score lines are fine if they happen occasionally, but the regularity of them this season must be a cause for concern surely?

On 08/07/2021 at 19:15, Anita Bath said:

And its awful to watch, even worse if you have paid to watch (Like I did for origin 2)

it was an absolute treat to watch the broncos v sharks  game last weekend not because of the quality of the footy but because it was competitive.

Too often I have tuned in to the NRL game on TV and switched channels to AFL game simply because the NRL game is essentially over.

Others on this forum would suggest that you should be mesmerising over the skills on play by the team inflicting the blowout, rather than focusing on the absolute lack of contest on display.

Careful, each of your individual sentiments may soon have both of your names up in lights as a troll.

Archived