V’landys Faces NRLs Biggest Test: Blowout Scores (Merged threads)

The average winning margin in NRL as far as I recall, has never been larger which is currently > 18 points.

Maybe someone will correct me, however, the blowouts in 2021 are getting bigger. The average margin of victory in the first three matches of this weekend’s round is 37.

It would appear that the competitiveness of teams - what was once the NRLs proud strength - has swiftly eroded into a two horse race for the NRL Premiership.

Watch the fans and advertisers disappear if that continues.

Over to you Peter.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Are you serious?  Do you really think everyone is that fickle?

People need to realise, that not every match is a grand final.  And even grand finals can end up being lopsided.  2008 for example, where Manly won 40-0.

a, it’s not a two horse race, at worst it’s three (Eels, Melbourne and Penrith)

b, yes blowouts are dull but rugby (compared to say football) generally sees the best team winning 

c, most leagues in every sport are the same, the top teams win and the rest lose

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Despite yesterday's flogging, I am not writing off the Rabbitohs either, who were missing half their team for this match:  Latrell Mitchell, Adam Reynolds, Cam Murray, Josh Mansour, Campbell Graham, Jaxson Paulo.

Also, Roosters.  Cannot write them off, so at worst it's a 5-horse race IMO.

18 minutes ago, langpark said:

People need to realise, that not every match is a grand final.  And even grand finals can end up being lopsided.  2008 for example, where Manly won 40-0.

I am very serious. You only have to look at the crowd numbers for losing teams and then crowd numbers again for clubs that are getting clubbed.

I’m not saying everyone will disappear, but there is a fairly simple correlation between the competitiveness of a match and the number of eyeballs watching it.

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

b, yes blowouts are dull but rugby (compared to say football) generally sees the best team winning 

c, most leagues in every sport are the same, the top teams win and the rest lose

a. I don’t see the Eels as a threat to Melbourne or Penrith at the end of the season, neither the Roosters and then there is even more daylight below those two.

b. That is true, but I don’t remember more games being over after 30 minutes than I see of late

c. Whether the best team wins or not is not my point. It’s that the contest is over much earlier into the 80 minutes than in recent memory.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Blowouts are not necessarily dull throughout in Rugby League. Just as close games are not necessarily exciting throughout. We should judge games more on how they unfold and the quality of play. This would require a less shallow and negative culture, particularly among the opinion-formers in the media.

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

For context, I am watching ABC news right now. The sports report started with the AFL, then Premier League and then NRL.

Only a minor example but an example all the same.

Would that be the same AFL whose Friday night game finished 63-126. (9 goals, 9 misses v 19 goals, 12 misses)?

Not the whole story, of course. - there`s all that fascinating fumbling in-between. And the shorts.

There`d have been more method in the madness if Geelong had totted up 18 goals, 18 misses.

2 hours ago, langpark said:

A RL score of 50-0 can be closer in the content of the game to a Soccer score of 2-0 than to 8-0.

To realise that requires an understanding of RL. Unfortunately we are cursed with a culture that doesn`t encourage much understanding beyond the scoreboard. (Simple game - run hard, tackle hard. If you concede 50 points, you mustn`t be trying hard enough).

3 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

For context, I am watching ABC news right now. The sports report started with the AFL, then Premier League and then NRL.

Only a minor example but an example all the same.

That`s a ludicrous example and I feel that you maybe being a little disingenuous. Any one who watches the ABC would well know that they rotate the leading stories on their news sports bulletins, generally leading with either the League and fumbleball, but definitely other sports as well sometimes.

This is despite most of their news being produced out of Melbourne and the inherent fumbleball bias of some of their reporters, sports and otherwise. The character they call PK who does sports in the morning news bulletins is probably the worst often appearing with an afl ball, poster or book in the background, he`s a smarmy little #####. Having said that there are definitely reporters and news readers from NSW and Queensland, who show their soft spot for League and report League news with unabashed relish.

On blowouts, look with some people the sky is always falling in, it was ever thus, we`ll have a couple of close games soon and once again it will be all forgotten.

25 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

On blowouts, look with some people the sky is always falling in, it was ever thus, we`ll have a couple of close games soon and once again it will be all forgotten.

It was a little bit of a silly example, I admit.

I hope you’re right on the blowouts. Perhaps a better example was me as a Sharks supporter turning over to other Kayo sports broadcasts after 25 minutes of last nights game.

Im sure I wasn’t the only one turning over or off after 25 minutes either.

2 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Would that be the same AFL whose Friday night game finished 63-126. (9 goals, 9 misses v 19 goals, 12 misses)?

Not the whole story, of course. - there`s all that fascinating fumbling in-between. And the shorts.

There`d have been more method in the madness if Geelong had totted up 18 goals, 18 misses.

That would be the same AFL. Yes, that would have had viewers tuning out too, albeit not until 3/4 time when a very tight game had unbelievably turned on its head throughout the second half of that third quarter.

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

That would be the same AFL. Yes, that would have had viewers tuning out too, albeit not until 3/4 time when a very tight game had unbelievably turned on its head throughout the second half of that third quarter.

As a Geelong fan, I was very pleased.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I hope you’re right on the blowouts. Perhaps a better example was me as a Sharks supporter turning over to other Kayo sports broadcasts after 25 minutes of last nights game.

Im sure I wasn’t the only one turning over or off after 25 minutes either.

If Broncos fans had tuned out after 15 minutes last week, they`d have had cause to regret it.

The Foxtel ratings for last night are Panthers/Sharks 207k, Eels/Roosters 272k, Tigers/Cats AFL 189k. The Kayo streaming figures are generally similar proportionately to the Fox box.

Great play is still good to watch whether it`s part of a close game or a one-sided game.

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

If Broncos fans had tuned out after 15 minutes last week, they`d have had cause to regret it.

The Foxtel ratings for last night are Panthers/Sharks 207k, Eels/Roosters 272k, Tigers/Cats AFL 189k. The Kayo streaming figures are generally similar proportionately to the Fox box.

Great play is still good to watch whether it`s part of a close game or a one-sided game.

Agree, but to suggest or argue against the fact that a greater portion of that 207k peak watching Sharks getting pumped tuned out than would have remained tuned in were they not getting skittled seems to be you arguing for arguments sake.

If the Broncos fans tuned out, you’re right, they would have missed a great game. I’m not sure how that dismisses my point.

The 6 again needs to be looked at. It was rushed in without trials. Agree the obsession with speed is way too much. It needs to ebb and flow as it use to. 

If the 6 again is to stay it needs to be changed to 2 or 3 again.

V'landy's is overrated and no journo takes him to task.

And while I'm at it do something with the scrum, it currently looks like under 6's, an embarassment, and I'm in the camp that wants to keep them.

10 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

The average winning margin in NRL as far as I recall, has never been larger which is currently > 18 points.

Maybe someone will correct me, however, the blowouts in 2021 are getting bigger. The average margin of victory in the first three matches of this weekend’s round is 37.

It would appear that the competitiveness of teams - what was once the NRLs proud strength - has swiftly eroded into a two horse race for the NRL Premiership.

Over to you Peter.

How’s union going over there champ? Troll.

11 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I am very serious. You only have to look at the crowd numbers for losing teams and then crowd numbers again for clubs that are getting clubbed.

I’m not saying everyone will disappear, but there is a fairly simple correlation between the competitiveness of a match and the number of eyeballs watching it.

a. I don’t see the Eels as a threat to Melbourne or Penrith at the end of the season, neither the Roosters and then there is even more daylight below those two.

b. That is true, but I don’t remember more games being over after 30 minutes than I see of late

c. Whether the best team wins or not is not my point. It’s that the contest is over much earlier into the 80 minutes than in recent memory.

You do realise teams get injuries to key players that sideline them for long periods and some of those teams do not have ready adequate replacements for every player injured?
Penrith could collapse like a paper bag if they get injuries or suspensions to a few key players.

As could any team.

The NRL always has half a dozen teams that can win the Premiership if they have the right luck and get a run of form that times their run well.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

24 minutes ago, Allora said:

You do realise teams get injuries to key players that sideline them for long periods and some of those teams do not have ready adequate replacements for every player injured?
Penrith could collapse like a paper bag if they get injuries or suspensions to a few key players.

As could any team.

The NRL always has half a dozen teams that can win the Premiership if they have the right luck and get a run of form that times their run well.

Sure, don’t I know it, but even at full strength, I would only add the Roosters to the list of true Premiership contenders the way the game is played at the moment.

Alas, the number of Premiership contenders is the lesser of my concern in the OP. Much because of your point. It’s a long season.

My major concern is the average competitiveness of each match. The blowout scores are compromising my enjoyment and I know that I am not the only one.

20 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

This thread was started by someone who spent years telling us we were doomed because Australian Rules was going to conquer the region. 

Not once. Just because I like to set the record straight when people feed the rest of the forum with AFL falsehoods, does not mean ever that I have said anything about AFL conquering any region - let alone any region you may be alluding to.

Archived