Challenge Cup semi-final Draw

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems very poor not to have had two separate games to maximise attendance. Even if that wasn't an option, Huddersfield would have seemed like a fairer middle-ish point for the four clubs with a much larger capacity. I have sympathy with the Hull fans here.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

As in SL, St Helens lead the current Shortest Distance To F***ing Travel to Leigh Sports Village League table :

1. St Helens 11 miles

2. Warrington Wolves 14 miles

3. Castleford Tigers 60 miles

4. Hull FC 107 miles

Interesting side note, in the 3 semi finals Huddersfield have played against "Lancashire" teams in the have all been at "Lancashire" grounds.

I wonder what the ratio of Yorkshire V Lancashire semi finals played either East or West of the Pennines is?

Semi finals always seem to played in the East, maybe it's because they have better facilities, but doesn't seem fair that the "Lancashire" sides don't have to travel that far compared to Yorkshire sides.

On 09/05/2021 at 08:42, GUBRATS said:

2 truly depressing statistics in a salary capped sport 

The salary cap is a negative as it protects the status quo.

The sides at the top control the next generations of players and the other clubs feed off the scraps.

There needs to be a bigger geographical spread and reginal zones similar to union

30 minutes ago, meast said:

Interesting side note, in the 3 semi finals Huddersfield have played against "Lancashire" teams in the have all been at "Lancashire" grounds.

I wonder what the ratio of Yorkshire V Lancashire semi finals played either East or West of the Pennines is?

Semi finals always seem to played in the East, maybe it's because they have better facilities, but doesn't seem fair that the "Lancashire" sides don't have to travel that far compared to Yorkshire sides.

St Helens and Warrington are not in Lancashire.

18 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

When ⅔ of your clubs are from the Sydney area, it's pretty easy to keep most of them happy.

Yes, but Penrith to Cronulla is still 75km.

Imagine the Cowboys or Storm fans whinging about away games.

new rise.jpg

Lets be honest, The LSV has one hell of a playing surface and the players fortunate enough to represent their clubs will love it.

Im sure if it was full throttle you would have 1 Yorkie Game and one Lanky game but I believe TV have had a big say in this one and availability was an issue.

Why it couldn't be deferred is beyond me, but a fixture list is a fixture list. Good luck to all the teams. I will have a soft spot for Wire Living there, but I have the feeling the winner of this years cup will come from the other game.

1 hour ago, Snowys Backside said:

Why it couldn't be deferred is beyond me, but a fixture list is a fixture list. Good luck to all the teams. I will have a soft spot for Wire Living there, but I have the feeling the winner of this years cup will come from the other game.

The fixture list is almost impossible to change - both Sky and BBC have built their schedules around Challenge Cup rounds and they are the game's primary sponsors.

6 hours ago, meast said:

In the 14 semis Leeds have played vs 'Lancashire' teams in my lifetime, 10 have been in Lancashire. And the four that were in Yorkshire (all at McAlpine/John Smiths) only came after Leeds complained there had been a run of nine in a row in Lancashire. So yes there's been a definite trend of playing them on the Lancashire side, for unclear reasons given Huddersfield is easily accessible and eminently suitable.

2 hours ago, M j M said:

In the 14 semis Leeds have played vs 'Lancashire' teams in my lifetime, 10 have been in Lancashire. And the four that were in Yorkshire (all at McAlpine/John Smiths) only came after Leeds complained there had been a run of nine in a row in Lancashire. So yes there's been a definite trend of playing them on the Lancashire side, for unclear reasons given Huddersfield is easily accessible and eminently suitable.

Ring them and ask ?

Some right whingebags on here , what bloody difference does it make where its played , seriously ?

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Some right whingebags on here

*bites through tongue*

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, Pulga said:

Poms whinging about distance traveled is pretty funny from an Aussie point of view I must say.

OOOOH Ging' he said Poms!!!!

9 hours ago, Pulga said:

Poms whinging about distance traveled is pretty funny from an Aussie point of view I must say.

Infrastructure across the Pennines is shot here mate.  What can seem a straightforward journey of 1 hour can quite easily turn into several hours.

14 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Why is it ridiculous , it has everything needed to have a televised triple header in a covid pandemic , anyway it doesn't really matter , you wouldn't have been attending anyway , would you ? 😀

Because showing our showpiece games in a flatpack community stadium in a small town no one has heard of is ridiculous. 

29 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

600 fans each, no matter how you spin it, is a joke. Its inevitable with the selection of such a small ground on top of playing multiple games on the same day.

I've read elsewhere that 4k is the limit on any ground under 40K so a bigger ground that may have been available may not have changed this

People are sniping over bits here. The RFL has no guarantees that more than 4k fans can be in. Leigh is convenient and cheap. The governing body is skint and going to lose 6-7 figures on Wembley for a second year. I think we should cut the guys a break for once. 

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

I've read elsewhere that 4k is the limit on any ground under 40K so a bigger ground that may have been available may not have changed this

Don't think that's entirely true mate, Elland Road will have circa 10k in for Leeds v West Brom and has a capacity of 35-38k (less than 40k being the point). Its only 4k for "smaller outdoor venues" which does make you wonder what the cut off point for that is given the other available RL stadiums the RFL could have gone to (Leeds/Saints/Warrington etc), let alone the larger venues in the region.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Ring them and ask ?

Some right whingebags on here , what bloody difference does it make where its played , seriously ?

This year and last aren't really relevant to this discussion but in normal times level of support can make a difference so aways holding the games on one team's doorstep isn't exactly equitable.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Don't think that's entirely true mate, Elland Road will have circa 10k in for Leeds v West Brom and has a capacity of 35-38k (less than 40k being the point). Its only 4k for "smaller outdoor venues" which does make you wonder what the cut off point for that is given the other available RL stadiums the RFL could have gone to (Leeds/Saints/Warrington etc), let alone the larger venues in the region.

25k isn't it ? 

Don't think any of the available grounds would have more than 4k capacity for this apart from Wigan which hasn't been available for non Wigan games for a long time now. And Hull, which wasn't an option.

Archived