Golden Point

Do many of you like Golden Point? I don’t personally, in the league I think sharing the points is fine, and in the cup I’d like to see them play on until someone scores a try rather than the lottery of who gets possession in view of the sticks first. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Do many of you like Golden Point? I don’t personally, in the league I think sharing the points is fine, and in the cup I’d like to see them play on until someone scores a try rather than the lottery of who gets possession in view of the sticks first. 

What if no one scores a try?? - far easier to score a DG. Its also a question of player safety if the game goes on to long as RL isnt football.

A drop goal is also part of the game so I can't see any reason to change the rules just for ET.

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Shouldn’t have golden point for regular league games,but a drop goal is part of the game so it’s fair for golden point to be settled that way.

10 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

What if no one scores a try?? - far easier to score a DG. Its also a question of player safety if the game goes on to long as RL isnt football.

A drop goal is also part of the game so I can't see any reason to change the rules just for ET.

Apart from when Haven are playing York!

27 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Good point about player welfare. I just find it’s usually unfair on the losing side, as it’s basically whoever gets in position to kick first, and it’s an unsatisfactory way to end what almost by definition has been a great game. Maybe in the cups then. 

Just now, Live after death said:

Dont like it at all. League games draw is often fair result. Knockout games 10 minutes extra time, still no winner then yeah golden point in ntil their us a winner.

Or we could simply bring back replays for CC ties. 

Agreed . League games its just a needless gimmick , Cup games 5 mins each way before a dropgoalathon 

Golden Point is absolutely fine. It provides more entertainment to what normally are pretty entertaining and exciting games, so I don’t mind. Can be crushing to lose but also great to win. 

I’d give both sides a point in the league and another one for the GP winner, though. Playing for the next try could go on for an age, with the way the game is played these days. 

I dont think it is going anywhere soon but I dont like a team losing by GP to get nothing.

Id look to consider making league wins worth 3 points and then those points split in a drawn game going to golden point with the eventual winners getting 2 points and the losing team 1,.

36 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Agreed . League games its just a needless gimmick , Cup games 5 mins each way before a dropgoalathon 

Pretty much this.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

In the League games I wouldn't have it, if we have to have it, each side should be awarded 1 point initially then a bonus point to win the golden point, but then I'd think what's the point? maybe award a golden point to a team that wins by 1 point in 80 minutes?

As for the cup, then fair enough, but I'd change it so each team has to have completed set of 6 before they can attempt a golden point.

3 minutes ago, meast said:

In the League games I wouldn't have it, if we have to have it, each side should be awarded 1 point initially then a bonus point to win the golden point, but then I'd think what's the point? maybe award a golden point to a team that wins by 1 point in 80 minutes?

As for the cup, then fair enough, but I'd change it so each team has to have completed set of 6 before they can attempt a golden point.

Good point, sometimes they don’t even get possession and they’ve lost, it’s rubbish. Worse in fact than penalty shoot outs in football, which I’m not a fan of either. 

5 minutes ago, meast said:

So both teams have to exchange the ball before the ball is, essentially, live (providing there’s no mistake)? What’s the point of that?

33 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

So both teams have to exchange the ball before the ball is, essentially, live (providing there’s no mistake)? What’s the point of that?

Point being, as Eddie states above, one team might not even get their hands on the ball if they have to kick off, is it fair that only one team may get a chance based on the toss of a coin?

39 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Good point, sometimes they don’t even get possession and they’ve lost, it’s rubbish. Worse in fact than penalty shoot outs in football, which I’m not a fan of either. 

It would be fun to have a slanging match best out of five.   Similar to the psyche-out rules in the movie 'Baseketball'.   Each team Captain could choose their 5 mouthiest players and they could face off in the equivalent of a rap battle.   Maybe stand down Tony Clubb for that one though.

Hull would still be the golden point experts though. Instead of Sneyd's one-pointers it would be Connor's one-liners.

11 minutes ago, meast said:

Point being, as Eddie states above, one team might not even get their hands on the ball if they have to kick off, is it fair that only one team may get a chance based on the toss of a coin?

Key word being “may”. 

Two sides going through the motions to get the ball “live” during a period where Super League is pretty organised and defence orientated sounds like hell. 

3 hours ago, Live after death said:

Dont like it at all. League games draw is often fair result. Knockout games 10 minutes extra time, still no winner then yeah golden point until there is a winner.

Or we could simply bring back replays for CC ties. 

I was agreeing with you 100% until that last sentence. Replays in Rugby League belong in a bygone era. 

One of the best matches and finishes I've seen was a semi final between Leeds and St Helens that went to extra time and Danny McGuire scored the winner in extra time. Far better than the golden point nonsense we get now.

13 minutes ago, Damien said:

One of the best matches and finishes I've seen was a semi final between Leeds and St Helens that went to extra time and Danny McGuire scored the winner in extra time. Far better than the golden point nonsense we get now.

THE best game I have ever seen.

Sinfield kicked a goal right footed from the corner on his wrong side to level it right on the hooter.

When McGuire scored, guys were falling down around him with cramp etc.

Incredible match.

1 minute ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

THE best game I have ever seen.

Sinfield kicked a goal right footed from the corner on his wrong side to level it right on the hooter.

When McGuire scored, guys were falling down around him with cramp etc.

Incredible match.

Thats the one. Its great watching the fatigue and the sheer will to win. Golden point is usually an anti climax.

I’ve said this numerous times on here that silver point is perfect for RL. They trialed it in football and it didn’t really work because it made teams very defensive. You can’t really close a game off like that in RL  

7 hours ago, Damien said:

2003 At Huddersfield wasn’t it?

Archived