Golden Point

Get rid of it in league games, not needed.

In cup games either 5 mins of extra time first.

Or if a team scores a golden point(s), the other team gets the ball back on halfway and gets one set of 6. So in yesterday’s example after O’Brien’s drop goal Salford would’ve restarted on the halfway line and had one set to score. If they do score, Cas then get the ball on halfway, same system again. If Salford don’t score, game over and at least they had possession and it was fair. I doubt we’d see lots of drop goals and a constant stream of restarts but it at least gives both sides a fair chance rather than now where you’re at the mercy of a coin toss.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I was agreeing with you 100% until that last sentence. Replays in Rugby League belong in a bygone era. 

Only putting it out there, I don’t really want  them back, but they often produced huge crowds.  Leeds v hull kr 86 semi 34k

Odsal world record of course 

22 minutes ago, Live after death said:

Only putting it out there, I don’t really want  them back, but they often produced huge crowds.  Leeds v hull kr 86 semi 34k

Odsal world record of course 

1986.... 35 years ago. Before all of today's players were even born. 

Like I said - a bygone era. Too many of our fans seem to cling to the past IMO. 

17 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

In the League I'd give 1 point each for the draw, and 1 extra point for the Golden point winner.

If we're gonna have it for ordinary league games, then I completely agree with this - essentially the two teams have played out a draw so deserve a point each, but if you want some extra excitement, then by all means let them have up to 10 mins for an extra league point to the winner.

Would definitely keep it for cup games - the days of replays are long gone now.

Generally speaking, I'd prefer golden try to golden point - you could still play for a drop goal, because if no-one scores a try then the team with the most points after 10 mins would be the winner, but you'd also be giving the teams an incentive to go for the try that would literally kill off the match.

18 hours ago, Eddie said:

Do many of you like Golden Point? I don’t personally, in the league I think sharing the points is fine, and in the cup I’d like to see them play on until someone scores a try rather than the lottery of who gets possession in view of the sticks first. 

I agree.

No need for League.  Cup -  Best of 3 over 5 minutes, otherwise first try and otherwise first dg if not a 3rd goal.

22 minutes ago, mrfranco said:

If we're gonna have it for ordinary league games, then I completely agree with this - essentially the two teams have played out a draw so deserve a point each, but if you want some extra excitement, then by all means let them have up to 10 mins for an extra league point to the winner.

Would definitely keep it for cup games - the days of replays are long gone now.

Generally speaking, I'd prefer golden try to golden point - you could still play for a drop goal, because if no-one scores a try then the team with the most points after 10 mins would be the winner, but you'd also be giving the teams an incentive to go for the try that would literally kill off the match.

100% agree with all of that.

17 hours ago, meast said:

Point being, as Eddie states above, one team might not even get their hands on the ball if they have to kick off, is it fair that only one team may get a chance based on the toss of a coin?

The snag with that is that the receiving team still has their second set in possession first so they still get first crack at a drop goal.  Team Kick-off has had the ball once but they weren't allowed to score in their set.

I don't see how you can avoid that.  However you dress it up.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

With age, cometh wisdom.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

I guess depends upon your defence and keeping the first team with the ball pinned back.   Yep I know tired players but its still a contest, in that the defending team can defend well, forcing a long kick resulting in less yards to make.

So for me golden point is aok.

My problem is that some games end up with a drop goal marathon from about 15mins to go... or even worse last 20mins.   e.g. the recent Leeds, Huddersfield game.  

3 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

I don’t cling on to the past, is this not just a debate, by your reckoning  then draws are also the past do why even discuss it.

18 hours ago, Goughy said:

Id look to consider making league wins worth 3 points and then those points split in a drawn game going to golden point with the eventual winners getting 2 points and the losing team 1,.

In which case 3 points for a win in RL would make more sense than 3 points for a win in Soccer where after a drawn game both teams get a point while the other point floats off into the ether.

Don't like it, but if it is to remain I'd prefer the game to continue rather than stop for a short break after 80 minutes what follows is generally a waste of time and often an anticlimax. At least if there is no break it still feels like a natural part of the match rather than enforced 'drama' that follows the main event.

2 hours ago, mrfranco said:

One way a game can be won with a try in golden point is if a field-goal attempt is charged down. It`s the ultimate in excitement, the ricochet can land anywhere, either team can react and score.

Currently unlikely to happen because of the terror of conceding a repeat set thanks to the stupid back-to-one rule if the defending team doesn`t regather. This is what makes winning field-goals often unsatisfying. Defenders are fearful of playing at the ball, meaning the kick is essentially unchallenged.

2 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

One way a game can be won with a try in golden point is if a field-goal attempt is charged down. It`s the ultimate in excitement, the ricochet can land anywhere, either team can react and score.

Currently unlikely to happen because of the terror of conceding a repeat set thanks to the stupid back-to-one rule if the defending team doesn`t regather. This is what makes winning field-goals often unsatisfying. Defenders are fearful of playing at the ball, meaning the kick is essentially unchallenged.

Agree

19 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

It would be fun to have a slanging match best out of five.   Similar to the psyche-out rules in the movie 'Baseketball'.   Each team Captain could choose their 5 mouthiest players and they could face off in the equivalent of a rap battle.   Maybe stand down Tony Clubb for that one though.

Hull would still be the golden point experts though. Instead of Sneyd's one-pointers it would be Connor's one-liners.

I'm not too keen on the idea of Golden point now that Marc Sneyd appears to have to wear a blindfold every time he tries a drop goal at the moment.

And no doubt if it was decided on golden one liners the RFL would handicap Hull FC by making Jake Connor wear a gag.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

My two penneth:

How about the first team to lead by 2 or more points wins (or the winner at the end of a defined period if the lead was only one point). Significantly less incentive to go for a drop goal but still a tactic to consider. Teams more likely to go for tries though which would be more interesting. Would need a new phrase rather than golden point though! Maybe "golden win"

League games don't need golden point but I don't mind the idea of 2 points to the winner and 1 to the loser but only if there's 3 points for a win in normal time. Basically there should be the same number of points on offer in all league games.

7 hours ago, Live after death said:

I don’t cling on to the past, is this not just a debate, by your reckoning  then draws are also the past do why even discuss it.

No. Draws are fine (in league games).

I didn't actually say you cling to the past, but I previously posted that a lot of people on here do. 

Replays in the cup in Rugby League, (where squads are tiny,  crowds for existing cup ties are pathetic, and the calendar is full) are a nonsensical idea, and citing something from 1986 and 'the Odsal Replay' would show how out of touch with the modern consumer some people are.

'The Odsal Replay' was 9 years after D-Day. Large parts of Rugby League territory still had outside toilets. 👍🏿

19 hours ago, Live after death said:

I don’t cling on to the past, is this not just a debate

Yes I thought so , and an interesting one with differing and valid opinions . But then it veered off into if you have the wrong one you’re negative miserable and live in the past 

Archived