What advice would you give your younger self?

I was feeling all self reflective recently and was considering the various bits of my life and how what I know and do now is different to a few decades ago and what advice I would have given my younger self.

If you had the chance, what advice would you give your younger self?  I don't necessarily mean the slightly cliched life lessons like 'no one on their death bed ever wished they spent more time at work' etc. (while nothing wrong with those) but actual practical advice about something that you know now but you didn't know when you were younger.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

To have upped sticks sooner from Liverpool... as in the 70's rather than mid 80's. 

Having eventually done so, resulting in a broadening of one's perspectives ad resulting in working abroad has I think given me a more "worldly viewpoint" and maybe influenced by x3 children who do things I would not have done back then at a similar age .   The conversations my family and friends still in Liverpool seem to be no different than back then. 

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

Bug ger off away from the uk while you are young and have the opportunity.  You won't enjoy what it will become. 

Does the msahib read this ? 

Don't be so picky when it comes to the females of the species. Do not spend years obsessing over the most popular girl in school, take your love goggles off and realise you were eye candy to all the nerdier girls. It took far too long to rid myself of my incredible shallowness and realise the nerdier girls were just as beautiful and were much nicer people as well, if I'd gone for those girls much earlier than I did there'd be far more notches on the bedpost.

Also dont be such a selfish prink and break up with your college girlfriend just because she wasn't quite as ambitious as you and realise she was and still is the girl of your dreams and ask that amazing girl to marry you! Of course my friends on here realise I got over her a long time ago right?? 😉

My advice to my younger self: don't listen to me. Make your own mistakes (because you will) and see where you end up. Things might be better, they might be worse - enjoy the ride.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

1) Don't drive after drinking, Not a good idea.

2) Don't buy that stupid property in Uxbridge, Rent for 2 years.

3) Enjoy your 30's, you only live them once. Rythimno here we come again!

We bought a studio flat at Uxbridge in 1989, with a shared mortgage through Nationwide, for £57,500, with a sell on of 20% back to Nationwide, when we came to sell it in 2008, NBS were not happy with the profit they were making, and took me and the other mortgage holder, my ex-wife, who lives in Suffolk, to court, to repossess. At the court I had a witness who had legal documents to say that he had bought the property for £115k (Studio flat, relax), The legal team for NBS went mental suggesting that my purchasers documents weren't legally available in that court, they were trying to reposses the flat to make a profit higher than they were deserving. 

They still took us for 20% + £20k, we ended up, after 22 years, with a profit of £3k each, in this property climate!

My opinion: Avoid Nationwide Building Society Lending.

Avoid Joint mortgages.

Hard work can sometimes beat natural talent. I was a prospect at both Rugby and Cricket as a teenager. Had I just knuckled down and worked my ass off, as opposed to worrying about those with a bit more natural talent, I would have probably had a decent career of some kind as a professional sportsman. 

2 minutes ago, distantdog said:

Don't be in such a hurry!

Yes. This x1000.

It took me til being 50+ to actually engage this outlook. 

That, and actually saying no to folk. That would have saved me a deal on stress instead of trying to be all things for all folk.

27 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I remember having a conversation with a friend in the early 00's. (We were both quite early on the internet and were by no means out of touch)

I said there are ways of making an absolute fortune out of the internet in years to come by thinking of things that people can communicate faster with each other- if only you can think of them.

A few years later and things like Twitter and FB appeared. This isn't a 'what if...' point as I'd have never invented those things...just we had the kernel of the idea. 

But that would mean you own Bradford Bulls and we'd have more of that infuriating bullmania ad infinitum...... that would never do!😉

Archived