What advice would you give your younger self?

I have a 10 year old and a 3 year old and I put all my energy into guiding them to avoid making the mistakes I made.   I didn't really get any guidance on how to live life from my parents (despite their best intentions) and I think it would have been down to my grandfather to do so, but he unfortunately died when I was 17.

1) Work as hard as you can at school and don't be afraid about not fitting in if you happen to be smart.  Be a nerd who leads, not a sheep who follows.

2) Look after your health and run every day, for both physical and mental wellbeing.   It will pay off when you're older.

3) Don't compare yourself to people you perceive to be better off.   If you've worked hard enough to claw your way up to get to the same level as them, you've achieved more.   And don't try to compete with material goods out of fear of not being accepted.

4) Don't invest your money in places recommended by wealthy friends who can afford to lose it, when you can't 😕.

5) Choose a stable career in a defensive industry that won't keep putting you through periods of boom and bust, and save the things you're passionate about as a hobby rather than a job.

6) Put yourself up for adoption to a family on a greek island and live a simple life in the sun.   I think this should be number one actually 🙂.

7) Make sure you give you children the advice you wish you'd had!

23 hours ago, distantdog said:

Don't be in such a hurry!

yep my uncle always gave out this advice- mind you, come to think of it now that might be the reason he lost his job as a formula1 driver 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 hours ago, Clogiron said:

If you want to do something do it and f*** the consequences, it turns out right in the end.

Hi Bill. Loved the Cosby show back in the 80s. What you up to these days?

Don't spend all your social life in the pub/bar... ultimately your realise it was quite boring despite the banter,,,, and you could have done so much more over the years ... maybe its your circle of friends - change them or at least have other circles too...

5 hours ago, redjonn said:

Don't spend all your social life in the pub/bar... ultimately your realise it was quite boring despite the banter,,,, and you could have done so much more over the years ... maybe its your circle of friends - change them or at least have other circles too...

Funny thing is, if we are talking about our younger selves living in the 2020s I think most of us probably wouldn't be in the pub.   Not getting wasted anyway.   One thing that's obvious about young people today - the ones who are lucky enough to grow up outside of poverty and depression - they're a bit more responsible about many of the things my generation (early 40s) wasn't.   They're also a bit naive and less resilient as we've attempted to protect them by wrapping them up in cotton wool before exposing them to the real world, but they're drinking less, smoking less and sleeping around less.   They're choosing gyms, travel and Instagram instead.

Archived