Todays Games

RPH

It seems every forum has one, so I thought I would try one of our own.  a general discussion of results of today.

I will try to add recent results and the League table.

and dont forget % make prizes .

🙄

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and to kick off, i will not mention our beloved Neighbours . 

( because we have not played them yet )

but going over to Widnes.

we all look around other clubs forums, and we had three mentions on the Widnes forum  after their defeat at Toulouse. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swinton Lions 22 Bradford Bulls RLFC 23
London Broncos 50 Newcastle Thunder 30
Toulouse Olympique XIII 70 Widnes Vikings 0
Dewsbury Rams 0 Halifax Panthers 36
York City Knights 12 Featherstone Rovers 16

CJ91
        This reminds me of one of those games from 2007 when we would turn up and muller mid table mediocrity like  Sheffield or Batley…..

Sad to be on the other end!

CJ91
       They let in 34 v Fax who I guess are of a similar level to us.

If we play well, that’s the main thing for me, what we don’t need is another Batley style second half.

ScouseViking55
                         What year did we beat Toulouse 70-0 at home? Feeling like that sort of a game but the opposite way round

CJ91
       Will the likes of Batley or Sheffield get beat 70-0 by them?

I am happy to be corrected but I doubt it.
A well coached, motivated PT team would have put in a far better effort……yes they may have got 40 or 50 put on them at the end, but no one is convincing me what we have seen for 40 mins against Newcastle, 80 today, v Dewsbury and v Batley is anywhere near an acceptable level.

Steve
         No they won’t because they are both much better teams than we are! That’s the reality of it!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine" ....Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865..

I am not sure we are at the point where we can still reliably judge how good or bad everyone is, particularly around those mid table teams. 

I thought our lovely neighbours would win today, so surprised they got quite the drubbing. haven't been impressed by Halifax at all so far so not sure what was going on there this evening. 

Next week might be interesting for us after London's result against Newcastle. I understand London have a bit of pace in the backs so we may need to watch out for that.

And the Swinton and Bradford result highlights the unpredictability. I thought Bradford would have routed them but they clearly have an issue closing out matches from the front.

Fev and York sounded close but there seemed to be lots of errors made from the radio perspective.

56 minutes ago, distantdog said:

I am not sure we are at the point where we can still reliably judge how good or bad everyone is, particularly around those mid table teams. 

I thought our lovely neighbours would win today, so surprised they got quite the drubbing. haven't been impressed by Halifax at all so far so not sure what was going on there this evening. 

Next week might be interesting for us after London's result against Newcastle. I understand London have a bit of pace in the backs so we may need to watch out for that.

And the Swinton and Bradford result highlights the unpredictability. I thought Bradford would have routed them but they clearly have an issue closing out matches from the front.

Fev and York sounded close but there seemed to be lots of errors made from the radio perspective.

Dewsbury made too many basic  errors even from Dummy half 

Fax fans putting pressure on Grix already after last weekends poor performance against Oldham - Fax welcomed back Fairbank who offered some leadership and Enthusiasm for Fax... 

oldham who showed Whitehaven they can perform on the road after a few poor away days against championship opponents 

Widnes were terrible if they don’t book their ideas up they are in for a long season with a relegation battle with Oldham Swinton and maybe Whitehaven 

London Broncos have their maverick back fit and playing well but it was on the 4G again I wonder how they’ll do on grass... I thought Newcastle improved from last weekend against us..  

bradford were the better side from minute 4 to minute 69 against Swinton who started the strongest and finished off better JK wasn’t happy as they put the que on the rack... 

fev and York was 6/10 performance wise as fev could of won by more but made hard work again but find a way to win which helps them... 

It shows apart from the Toulouse score we could be in for a decent season I’m gonna say next weekends game vs London Broncos will be the game of the round!! 

I also watched a bit of the hunslet game and I can’t see Gary seeing the season with hunslet if they  don’t improve performance and score line 

Brambani wasn’t happy with the hunslet teammates hitting the wrong hole or running the wrong line 

20 hours ago, Keep The Faith said:

Dewsbury made too many basic  errors even from Dummy half 

Fax fans putting pressure on Grix already after last weekends poor performance against Oldham - Fax welcomed back Fairbank who offered some leadership and Enthusiasm for Fax... 

oldham who showed Whitehaven they can perform on the road after a few poor away days against championship opponents 

Widnes were terrible if they don’t book their ideas up they are in for a long season with a relegation battle with Oldham Swinton and maybe Whitehaven 

London Broncos have their maverick back fit and playing well but it was on the 4G again I wonder how they’ll do on grass... I thought Newcastle improved from last weekend against us..  

bradford were the better side from minute 4 to minute 69 against Swinton who started the strongest and finished off better JK wasn’t happy as they put the que on the rack... 

fev and York was 6/10 performance wise as fev could of won by more but made hard work again but find a way to win which helps them... 

It shows apart from the Toulouse score we could be in for a decent season I’m gonna say next weekends game vs London Broncos will be the game of the round!! 

I also watched a bit of the hunslet game and I can’t see Gary seeing the season with hunslet if they  don’t improve performance and score line 

Brambani wasn’t happy with the hunslet teammates hitting the wrong hole or running the wrong line 

Yeah.... the fev game was 6/10.... but it weren't afe watchable.

That's the worst Widnes team in my lifetime and I wish swinton could have found that extra bit to get them off the mark.

London looked dire but scored 50 & I still can't work fax out.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Yeah.... the fev game was 6/10.... but it weren't afe watchable.

That's the worst Widnes team in my lifetime and I wish swinton could have found that extra bit to get them off the mark.

London looked dire but scored 50 & I still can't work fax out.

It was a decent   watch

I thought York nearly got a win they remind me of Southampton when they moved from the dell... 😂 couldn’t buy a win you lot missed Harrison JR 

fax had to comeback after last weekends performance vs Oldham or Grix wasn’t looking to Sheffield next week... 

This season so far is a great example of why collateral form is meaningless, there is so much inconsistency amongst the teams. Bradford, Halifax, Dewsbury, London, Widnes, Oldham and Swinton have all produced at least one performance that was absolutely dismal compared to their best efforts. The good thing about this is that the league is really unpredictable from week to week and that's what makes it so interesting.

Interesting to see the comment about radio coverage suggesting there were lots of errors in the York/Fev game, I'd say that was only true near the end when fatigue set in and until then the opposite was true. Both teams seemed really focussed on completing their sets, it was a really tough arm wrestle between the 20s for much of the game and I don't remember a knock on or forward pass in the first 30 minutes. There wasn't a lot of free-flowing rugby but it was a bit of an old-school forward battle, Fev dominated in terms of yardage gained but it took a long time to wear York down and claw back that deficit, and although Fev could have won by 2 or 3 scores, equally, York were only that charged-down drop goal away from winning themselves.

I think Batley will beat London this week. London just look a bit vulnerable in defence when I've watched them, they conceded four tries at home to Oldham and five to injury-hit Newcastle, Batley are better than either of those teams.

At the moment I think the pecking order is Toulouse and Fev 1 and 2, York and Batley battling it out for 3rd best team in the league, then a gap to the rest who almost all look unpredictable. York have missed O'Hagan, Cuthbertson and Brining recently so have some improvement in them and  I still think they will be top 3 or 4 whilst Batley so far look the best they have for years especially having had one or two key players out themselves.

2 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

Think you are bang on with fev and Toulouse , the rest you could throw a blanket over em , me personally would be more than happy if York make the top six😀😀😀

Have a bit more confidence George. He's got Batley playing some lovely stuff at the mo. PH post above is where I see the placings.

33 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Have a bit more confidence George. He's got Batley playing some lovely stuff at the mo. PH post above is where I see the placings.

He’s learnt from some decent coaches he played under wardy, Storey and GT plus Kear as he was his assistant for a few years with Moxon 

it helps knowing the Batley club too or something like it Kear had it at wakey before so hopefully them people that stayed away under the former coach start coming back up to the mount 

10 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

He’s learnt from some decent coaches he played under wardy, Storey and GT plus Kear as he was his assistant for a few years with Moxon 

it helps knowing the Batley club too or something like it Kear had it at wakey before so hopefully them people that stayed away under the former coach start coming back up to the mount 

Lingard is from Sharlston just like Peter Fox nuff said😉

20 minutes ago, Keep The Faith said:

Turned down you lot a few times when’s he’s old man was DOR 😉

That's true but to be fair it was only his old man who was pushing the idea and wouldn't let it lie  kept bringing it up other directors including my uncle  not so keen

Batley Bulldogs 6 London Broncos 40
Whitehaven RLFC 0 Toulouse Olympique XIII 66
Widnes Vikings 14 York City Knights 35

Back down to Earth for the Bulldogs, against full time London.

Toulouse running riot up in Whitehaven.

and Widnes, still struggling to get going, against the ever improving Knights.

I was rather hoping our league would continue the coverage, I watched and enjoyed the York v Fev game, so I'd also watch the top four contenders battle it out if they'd show them. I think 5th or 6th could be a possibility, but we'd need to see off Bradford I think

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

32 minutes ago, RPH said:

Batley Bulldogs 6 London Broncos 40
Whitehaven RLFC 0 Toulouse Olympique XIII 66
Widnes Vikings 14 York City Knights 35

Back down to Earth for the Bulldogs, against full time London.

Toulouse running riot up in Whitehaven.

and Widnes, still struggling to get going, against the ever improving Knights.

I think Widnes have genuine issues. Those second half capitulations are ugly!

Monday 17th May 2021
Swinton Lions 18 Dewsbury Rams 20
after the Rams were 0-16 up at half time.
Featherstone Rovers 68 Oldham 0 
12 tries from 10 different scorers, 

Toulouse Olympique XIII 66  Swinton Lions 18

2 hours ago, RPH said:

Toulouse Olympique XIII 66  Swinton Lions 18

table 22 may.jpg

Toulouse Olympique XIII 66  Swinton Lions 18  was to be expected but swinton had a real go   in 1sr half  18 apiece after 30 minutes and 24 - 18 at half time  pity normal service was resumed  for them  in the 2nd 😀

London Broncos 8 Bradford Bulls RLFC 33
Newcastle Thunder 0 Halifax Panthers 32
Widnes Vikings 44 Whitehaven RLFC 6
York City Knights 34 Oldham 6
Sheffield Eagles 18 Featherstone Rovers 50

did London have a off day, ?

Newcastle unable to score at home,

a Widnes win for a change and the York as expected, 

Feath trying to match Toulouse scoring wise but they will take some catching.

A little surprised by the margins in some of today's games, Fax, Widnes and Bradford

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Surprised at the London Score, but the rest of it looks like the favoured teams getting into their strides. We have just got to make sure we put the London performance behind us and pick back up where we were before them.

Still amazed by the  Widnes result though. 

FEV game kicked off 20 minutes late and It took almost an hour for play to resume again though with a medical incident at the Keepmoat Stadium

eagles were blowing out of their backsides at half time delay stopped them getting a proper thumping

york and oldham was 6-6 at half time then oldham had fullback sent off and york ran way with it

Archived