League table - win%

I was looking at the Championship league table on the BBC website and thought there was a mistake because Sheffield & London were both shown on 40% despite having gained 50% of the available points (2 wins, 2 defeats & 1 draw each).

Then I noticed that the relevant column was labelled 'win%'. Sheffield & London have in fact both won 40% of their matches. If you're basing the table on win%, then a draw is as worthless as a loss.

The RFL website gives those clubs 50% each (they have achieved 50% of the available points), but they still label the column 'win%'.

My understanding is that win% is being used to decide position in the table, but is this actually being interpreted as % of available points gained (so that there is value in a drawn match)?

8 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

I was looking at the Championship league table on the BBC website and thought there was a mistake because Sheffield & London were both shown on 40% despite having gained 50% of the available points (2 wins, 2 defeats & 1 draw each).

Then I noticed that the relevant column was labelled 'win%'. Sheffield & London have in fact both won 40% of their matches. If you're basing the table on win%, then a draw is as worthless as a loss.

The RFL website gives those clubs 50% each (they have achieved 50% of the available points), but they still label the column 'win%'.

My understanding is that win% is being used to decide position in the table, but is this actually being interpreted as % of available points gained (so that there is value in a drawn match)?

Yes, a draw counts as 50% of a win.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

8 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Yes, that's how I understand it too. I think the BBC have tried to set up an auto-calculation on their table to show win percentage, but they've forgotten to include draws in it. 

1 hour ago, Chris Taylor said:

It's taken from the press association isn't it? 

I'd look at the RFL website rather than the beeb atm.

That isn't going to be the first thought of 1000s of people checking the league table on the BBC really is it? Sloppy and RFL comms should be all over it.

13 minutes ago, Scubby said:

That isn't going to be the first thought of 1000s of people checking the league table on the BBC really is it? Sloppy and RFL comms should be all over it.

100% agree with you.

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

Archived