Not moaning but

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sooner or later this will become another licencing merry go round.

Toulouse play English and aussies.

Some English clubs play loads of aussies and the occasional French man. Fev had Dean Parata and nu brown playing yesterday and chizzy sounds like he's from South East Yorkshire.

It's reight.

11 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

That’s just it. I don’t accept that some of the Toulouse non-French players are better options. Same goes for the dragons.

Well we all have different opinions about the relative strengths of different players but you can't impose your beliefs on the Head Coach, who's continuation in the job depends on his success on the field.

More French teams in the comp. makes it more credibly a European Super League and that must increase the chances of financial backing and tv coverage. 

Higher profile should translate to increased participation (at all levels) and ultimately, higher standards. 

French International success, would do wonders, for the development push. 

17 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

That’s just it. I don’t accept that some of the Toulouse non-French players are better options. Same goes for the dragons.

The last full seasons the two played, they were both 80 minutes from their respective Grand Finals, I think their current options, while not all French, are doing alright. 

9 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

It would also apply to the English teams too.

In that case we already have this dont we? but if you want to say that English players count on the quota for french teams then you have to say that french players count on the quota for english teams and IMHO that would set the french game backwards, more players succeeding and being taken on by english clubs would allow for more french players to come through again... 

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

The last full seasons the two played, they were both 80 minutes from their respective Grand Finals, I think their current options, while not all French, are doing alright. 

Like I said it could be better. I defy anyone to try and convince me that there aren’t better French players than the likes of Joel Tomkins and Sam kasiano.

The more the merrier for me. I love a multicultural multinational competition. 

In a couple of weeks Manchester City will take on Chelsea in the European Cup final. Only geography makes them English clubs. Barely an English player on show. Yet its widely accepted because the league attracts the best players and with it all the sponsorship.

47 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

8 of the Toulouse matchday 17 were French born players in their emphatic 70-0 drubbing of Widnes yesterday afternoon.

The cynic and realist in me tells me that sadly this number will again decrease even further if and when Toulouse reach super league. Is this and would this be acceptable for most RL fans especially those of us who are ardent expansionists??

And before anyone has a pop at me let me be clear that I support the inclusion of French teams into super league and the championship to the point that I’d love to see maybe another 1 or 2 French teams enter the championship from big major cities like Marseille, Montpelier or Lyon etc.

How many full blooded Australians are there in a typical NRL team?  How many overseas players are there in the RU Premiership?

Just now, Robin Evans said:

The more the merrier for me. I love a multicultural multinational competition. 

In a couple of weeks Manchester City will take on Chelsea in the European Cup final. Only geography makes them English clubs. Barely an English player on show. Yet its widely accepted because the league attracts the best players and with it all the sponsorship.

Yes. 

Even some of the most forward thinking expansionists then revert to type and reinforce the 'sport for local people' point by getting obsessed over locally developed players. 

Of course pathways are important, but we shouldn't obsess over it down to individual squad level. 

4 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Like I said it could be better. I defy anyone to try and convince me that there aren’t better French players than the likes of Joel Tomkins and Sam kasiano.

There probably isn’t. There are better players out there than Tomkins and Kasiano, not necessarily French ones though. 

Just now, Dave T said:

Yes. 

Even some of the most forward thinking expansionists then revert to type and reinforce the 'sport for local people' point by getting obsessed over locally developed players. 

Of course pathways are important, but we shouldn't obsess over it down to individual squad level. 

Plenty of room for both. Rugby league is too small to be exclusive. Yes, don't ignore the community game. Lots of players still graduate to the first team via that route.

Toulouse (to me) represents a much better international presence than TWP ever did. Its a big rugby city and easy/cheap to access. 

So.... let's develop TO for no other reason than I love it there!!🤣🤣

14 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

How many full blooded Australians are there in a typical NRL team?  How many overseas players are there in the RU Premiership?

I’d hazard a guess that the overwhelming majority of NRL clubs rosters are made up of Australian born players.

36 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

True but for me it could help even more if more French born players were given a chance.

They have just signed Albert and Gigot, both French but only giving the argument that ‘French born players’ should be given a chance wears thin.  

French born players are getting a chance.  Elite 1 is higher profile than it’s been for years.  It is up to these players to work hard,take their chance to show they are good enough.

IfCatalans had taken advice from some posters on here and filled the team with French they would be in the championship now.  If TO rely on the same plan they will go no further.  Thankfully for their supporters they choose not too.

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

8 of the Toulouse matchday 17 were French born players in their emphatic 70-0 drubbing of Widnes yesterday afternoon.

The cynic and realist in me tells me that sadly this number will again decrease even further if and when Toulouse reach super league. Is this and would this be acceptable for most RL fans especially those of us who are ardent expansionists??

And before anyone has a pop at me let me be clear that I support the inclusion of French teams into super league and the championship to the point that I’d love to see maybe another 1 or 2 French teams enter the championship from big major cities like Marseille, Montpelier or Lyon etc.

The have been told they have to win the competition - end of - by a basket case of administrators. They applied for promotion on other stuff and got the middle finger. That is exactly what they are doing - loading with as many players as possible to win games and win promotion. How is this different from dual registration or loan players?

Change the rules, give them some protection and breathing space and then you can perhaps dictate who they put on the field to try and win games to go up (and then survive). 

12 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

I’d hazard a guess that the overwhelming majority of NRL clubs rosters are made up of Australian born players.

Many of whom are qualified for overseas international teams.

15 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

NRL = a high profile sport in Australia (there are many more players playing RL in greater Sydney/NSW than the whole of the UK) - 105k currently plus 23k females.

SL = low profile sport

11 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The have been told they have to win the competition - end of - by a basket case of administrators. They applied for promotion on other stuff and got the middle finger. That is exactly what they are doing - loading with as many players as possible to win games and win promotion. How is this different from dual registration or loan players?

Change the rules, give them some protection and breathing space and then you can perhaps dictate who they put on the field to try and win games to go up (and then survive). 

Just looking on the TO website there are 11 French from 22.  Add Albert and Gigot to that 13.  I don’t think that will be the end of Toulouse signings anyway.  Pat Moran at Avignon could quite easily come into their sights later in the season.

Just now, Lowdesert said:

Just looking on the TO website there are 11 French from 22.  Add Albert and Gigot to that 13.  I don’t think that will be the end of Toulouse signings anyway.  Pat Moran at Avignon could quite easily come into their sights later in the season.

It’s a strange one is the current Toulouse squad as you’d expect them to have between 25-30 players perhaps??

but having said that I’m sure they could just promote players from the elite 1 Toulouse side when needs be.

1 hour ago, JonM said:

Did make me smile while watching the game that George Riley was commentating in French, while the Toulouse team were shouting to each other in English.

With that level of ability, it's a surprise he's not working for Sky or the BBC, as some on there can barely speak English.

9 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

French RL = even lower profile.

Yet you want them to produce tens of SL players to win promotion and avoid relegation when the 11 English clubs in SL need 60 overseas players to fill their teams? Okay. You can't do proper development on a win or survive at all costs. If you could then Salford and Wakefield wouldn't be wasting their time on bang average imports.

Archived