Not moaning but

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

If Catalan and Toulouse don’t nurture French talent then who will? Especially when they have the advantage of being the only 2 professional French teams competing at a higher level in the English system.

Salford had 2 French kids in their academy a few years back. Warrington had about 4 as well some years back and Leeds have had 1 or 2 in the past as well including yaha I believe?

If this thread isn’t you moaning it must be fun in your house when you do have a cobb on.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I got the lawn mower out to do our lasses back so I've just gone through the SL teams Overseas players. Those born overseas not Nationalised. Plus the plus one means born in an emerging nation. 

Cas 7

Cat 11 (non French.)

Hudds 6

Hull 7 +1

Leeds 7

Salford 8

Saints 5

Wakefield 6

Warrington 4

Wigan 6+1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

9 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

So I got the lawn mower out to do our lasses back so I've just gone through the SL teams Overseas players. Those born overseas not Nationalised. Plus the plus one means born in an emerging nation. 

Cas 7

Cat 11 (non French.)

Hudds 6

Hull 7 +1

Leeds 7

Salford 8

Saints 5

Wakefield 6

Warrington 4

Wigan 6+1

Catalan have 12.

Problem with expecting Catalans/Toulouse to produce all the French players is that they're only 2 clubs vs 10+ full time clubs in England.

Forcing a quota ignores the huge structural difference in English RL vs French RL. If you're saying that Catalans can only use French players/must use a minimum number of French players, then the English clubs should only be able to use players that were developed by that club (the "home grown" rule essentially). If you allow e.g. Saints to pick up players from all of the other Super League academies because those players are English, but don't allow Catalans to pick up those same players, that's a structural disadvantage for the French clubs. You can't say "oh but the English teams can't just pick up the French players either" because there's such a disparity in number of players being produced. You're essentially saying, in a professional league, that certain clubs have a much smaller player pool than others, but are still expected to remain competitive on-field.

Now, would I like to see some sort of salary cap dispensation for home grown players (i.e. who came through that club's academy)? Absolutely, I think it could be a great way to encourage clubs to develop their own players. But what you're suggesting would put the French clubs at a significant disadvantage in terms of playing performance and would therefore eventually lead to their relegation, which would set the development of French RL back even further.

Archived