Batley Bulldogs

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, fighting irish said:

Isn't the population of Batley bigger that the population of Castleford? 

I'm not sure - maybe, but that isn't part of the criteria anymore. Win and get up - that is all. If your stadium is #### that is okay, we will give you a stern warning until you provide a watercolour impression of a new ground. That will buy you approx. 24 months of breathing space.

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think they should be in too, I’d lose interest if there wasn’t P&R earned on the pitch. 

There is that school of thought and probably it is the only thing that makes sense anymore now SL doesn't give a #### about facilities, academies and development. Sad but true.

1 hour ago, Chris Taylor said:

Pff, what does a small industrial town bring to Super League.

Maybe they should merge with Dewsbury and Huddersfield if they want to be in Super League.

😉

Hmmm... Kirklees Cowbells has a certain ring to it.

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Agreed. Even if they would offer absolutely nothing to the competition.

Nothing??  not even the fans chance to have a nice day out on new away days,with a big smile on our face.:kolobok_prankster:

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

If they win the competition then under the current rules they should be in. The club has spent a lot of money on its ground and facilities and, until the likes of Wakefield and Castleford are denied a place in SL on the same basis, Batley should be welcomed.

I think things should change because of exactly this but the rules are the rules at present. As someone said, those basement dwellers would be rubbing their hands. Saying that, so should Batley's fans - cracking start from a great club.

There still are minimum standards but, as far as I can remember and having just checked the latest details for Mount Pleasant, Batley more than meet them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

There still are minimum standards but, as far as I can remember and having just checked the latest details for Mount Pleasant, Batley more than meet them.

Yep, minimum standards have gone down over the years not up - which isn't really how it works?? 

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yep, minimum standards have gone down over the years not up - which isn't really how it works?? 

Gone down and with less checking and enforcement.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 minutes ago, silverback said:

Nothing??  not even the fans chance to have a nice day out on new away days,with a big smile on our face.:kolobok_prankster:

I don’t think anybody is slating Batley here @silverback, the point is more is a well run but small club like Batley, with relatively low crowds and limited facilities what the organisers, sponsors and clubs involved in SL want. If you did go up, what sort of attendances do you think you’d get? 

A few SL teams would get a scare playing up the hill - and if the weather turns nasty, they'll find out that Mount Pleasant is the most inaptly named ground in Britain 😂

Some good drinking to be had, mind........

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I don’t think anybody is slating Batley here @silverback, the point is more is a well run but small club like Batley, with relatively low crowds and limited facilities what the organisers, sponsors and clubs involved in SL want. If you did go up, what sort of attendances do you think you’d get? 

might just be a few packed home games.lol.to be fair were known for punching above our weight so who knows when the bubble might burst,were playing some great stuff at the moment and the lads look to be having fun along the way, and after the 3 years with last coach it just shows what can be done. but for folks to think we might bring nothing is a bit of kick in nuts, lets just go along with the ride but i think fev will be top dogs at end a season,just hope goalposts dont get changed if it looks that way.

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I thought we (Leigh) would not win a game, but after the display against Saints I am a bit more positive, hopefully we will be making Wakefield sweat a bit.

Harry , Harry , Harry , you just had to say it didn't you ? 🙁

9 hours ago, RP London said:

To form the Hewtly Giant Ram-Dogs...

sorry but if this DOESNT happen and happen now then there is something wrong!! I am dropping every other allegiance to support the Giant Ram-Dogs and if this doesn't become the best known brand in the whole of sport then, well, I don't want to be a part of THAT world!!!!

They could have a strong rivalry with Dewsford RamBulls too, the feeder or veterans team 🙂

Actually, there could be lots of positives for Batley to be promoted.

Showing that no matter how big or small a club is perceived, or how many fans they can muster, it really is about what happens on the field that should matter.

It may also be a big boost to enticing some of the Asian population into the sport, the area around Mount Pleasant and the Heavy Woollen district in general has a huge Asian sub continent, whenever I've been to Batley and seen the young lads playing cricket, football, basketball, even tennis on the pitches and areas around the ground and yet seemingly oblivious to the crowds walking past them going to a live match on their doorstep.

It could be a big boost also for the local area in general, Batley, let's be honest, although quite charming in some parts isn't the nicest town, but give them a sports team they can be proud off and restore civic pride etc.

Also, the club, to my knowledge, has always been supported by local businesses, Fox's being the prime example, it would be a great reward for those businesses to see their logos and brands in the top flight.

However, I'm sure as with most things, RL fans will find negatives.

9 hours ago, Scubby said:

I'm not sure - maybe, but that isn't part of the criteria anymore. Win and get up - that is all. If your stadium is #### that is okay, we will give you a stern warning until you provide a watercolour impression of a new ground. That will buy you approx. 24 months of breathing space.

And only comes out when ground criteria is mentioned AGAIN!

10 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

And they are a fabulous club to visit..... and they have a cracking welcoming set of fans. What's not to.like?

Any time there's a thread about people's favourite away grounds, Batley always gets plenty of mentions. 

Archived