Batley Bulldogs

Too embarrassed to have bottom dwellers, but too embarrassed to see the state of some of the super league clubs. RL fans want to make their mind up what they want and then stop moaning.

In the unlikely event that Batley are eligible for promotion, they should be promoted, irrespective of at whose expense that would be. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, meast said:

They could have a strong rivalry with Dewsford RamBulls too, the feeder or veterans team 🙂

its starting to sound like something off alan partridge or That Mitchell and Webb look ...

"Its the Giant Ram-Dogs versus the Ram Bulls and on the other channel we watch the Hunsfield Eagle-Hawks face off against the Lork (k)NightRhinos"

these names sounds eminently Marketable... and less ridiculous than some!

11 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Harry , Harry , Harry , you just had to say it didn't you ? 🙁

As if saying something is going to alter things, the thing is the player's themselves exhibited a complete lack of desire in the games up to the Saints match, now they have shown they can play at a much better standard they have to maintain that, and it is up to Duffy to ensure it happens, no going back to going through the motions anymore.

10 hours ago, meast said:

it really is about what happens on the field that should matter.

No, no and no again Meast, there are quite a number of people on these pages who firmly believe that should not even be a consideration, albeit for what it's worth I totally agree with you.

19 hours ago, Scubby said:

I'm not sure - maybe, but that isn't part of the criteria anymore. Win and get up - that is all. If your stadium is #### that is okay, we will give you a stern warning until you provide a watercolour impression of a new ground. That will buy you approx. 24 months of breathing space.

Multiply by at least a factor of 6, it is now 144 months and still counting since the warning to improve their facilities was handed to 3 clubs awarded a licence in '09, one club heeded the warning two are still promising to do so.

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Multiply by at least a factor of 6, it is now 144 months and still counting since the warning to improve their facilities was handed to 3 clubs awarded a licence in '09, one club heeded the warning two are still promising to do so.

Promising? More like joking.

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

Promising? More like joking.

It must be galling living in the same area where your club is regarded by many as the "poor relation", while if the circumstances were to be reversed and your club recieved their funding and they dropped to yours we may be left with just one club in the Wakefield MBC.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

It must be galling living in the same area where your club is regarded by many as the "poor relation", while if the circumstances were to be reversed and your club recieved their funding and they dropped to yours we may be left with just one club in the Wakefield MBC.

It's not galling at all,i  don't feel like we are the poor relations. Weve got the best ground out of the three and if in SL we could easily match Wakefields crowds.While those two are still announcing (new grounds ) and wanting bail outs for them certain Fev supporters got off their butt's and did a great job renovating the ground. OK they ARE  in SL but wouldn't be if the RL had carried out their own rules about ground criteria. Wakefield may one day get relegated but i can't see Castleford doing so again. They are a well run club with excellent crowds for most games. Anyway we shall have to see what this season brings and if some fans don't want relegation ( usually those already there ) and promotion well we may as well pack in because whats the point of it all if not ?

14 hours ago, Fevrover said:

It's not galling at all,i  don't feel like we are the poor relations. Weve got the best ground out of the three and if in SL we could easily match Wakefields crowds.While those two are still announcing (new grounds ) and wanting bail outs for them certain Fev supporters got off their butt's and did a great job renovating the ground. OK they ARE  in SL but wouldn't be if the RL had carried out their own rules about ground criteria. Wakefield may one day get relegated but i can't see Castleford doing so again. They are a well run club with excellent crowds for most games. Anyway we shall have to see what this season brings and if some fans don't want relegation ( usually those already there ) and promotion well we may as well pack in because whats the point of it all if not ?

Hi Rover, you say it's not galling at all then tell me the reasons that rankle with you, I know what you mean so do not take this as a criticism.

On 11/05/2021 at 08:25, Harry Stottle said:

Which clubs don't meet the current standards for Super League ground criteria?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Can we PLEASE keep this thread about Batley Bulldogs, and THEIR season, and what THEY would bring to SL if they won promotion, and not let it drift off into some endless thread about p/r in general?

23 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Which clubs don't meet the current standards for Super League ground criteria?

That wasn't the question in point Ginger as you know very well, in '09 three clubs were told that their stadium facilities did not meet the requirements of the Licencing criteria at the time, BUT they would be granted a licence under the condition that improvements to comply would be made.

But, if all clubs meet the current requirements why would/should standards drop 12 years later?

There is a lot of condemnation of the salary cap in that it caters for a bottom up approach, if the current ground standards of two clubs are now acceptable but was not years ago then I can only assume that the 'rule makers' have dropped the criteria to accomodate them, i.e. another bottom up approach. 

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Can we PLEASE keep this thread about Batley Bulldogs, and THEIR season, and what THEY would bring to SL if they won promotion, and not let it drift off into some endless thread about p/r in general?

Sorry John, was writing my reply when yours came through.

On 10/05/2021 at 11:56, Man of Kent said:

It would be mildly embarrassing on and off the pitch, let's be honest.

To be fair, I doubt Batley really want to go up.

I'm just hoping whoever goes up this time is competitive so that Wakefield sweat a bit. 

I am more than a little biased on this subject, but why exactly would it be "mildly embarrassing on and off the pitch"? If Batley completed the impossible and earned the right to promotion... again!

Are the Premiership embarrassed by the likes of Huddersfield Town, Bournemouth and Wigan's of the game getting in to the top division? Were they faced with the same small minded parochial thinking by football fans when they earned the right to get to the top.   

Most people in the country love an underdog story. Although our bubble is likely to burst, possibly as early as Saturday, our club is probably better run than most in SL, we have better facilities and a better ground than a lot of them too.

The big question is, why as a sport, do so many people think the likes of Bradford, York or Newcastle should be welcomed in to SL unequivocally, when one has been mismanaged by several owners to biblical proportions, one's best achievement is a single 3rd placed finish, and the other was not even good enough to gain promotion from the bottom tier, despite spending several times what all of their competitors had?

Yet a well run club, with no history of financial issues, like Batley, that has won the NR Cup, been to a Grand Final, and finished in the top 3 on two occasions in very recent history is an embarrassment to the game and top flight?

Could it be, this type of thinking is what is truly holding the game back from becoming the national sport it should be?

A sport where success is not dependent on what happens on the pitch, but rather on the say so of a group of self interested, small time business men, looking to ensure they remain unchallenged at the top of the game.

How attractive is that to potential sponsors? A sport decided by a committee. 

The same people that think Batley are an embarrassment, are the people that wonder why the game can only get sponsorship in the form of a free pizza, and a few pictures on the back of a couple of wagons and wonder why the game is a laughing stock.

How many fans were up in arms over the recent Super League proposal in football, yet, could not see the irony that the self same thing happened in RL all those years ago, and still think it was good for the game?

4 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

I am more than a little biased on this subject, but why exactly would it be "mildly embarrassing on and off the pitch"? If Batley completed the impossible and earned the right to promotion... again!

It would be mildly embarrassing because Batley is a part-time outfit without an U19 Academy, and even if they went FT in Super League would be highly likely to be soundly beaten most games.

The Huddersfield Town, Bournemouth and Wigan comparisons aren't really valid. In Batley's case, it would be more like non-league Stockport County being in the Premier League.

10 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It would be mildly embarrassing because Batley is a part-time outfit without an U19 Academy, and even if they went FT in Super League would be highly likely to be soundly beaten most games.

The Huddersfield Town, Bournemouth and Wigan comparisons aren't really valid. In Batley's case, it would be more like non-league Stockport County being in the Premier League.

And yet Bradford, York and Newcastle would be welcomed in? 

How many of the U19's at Salford, Wakefield, Catalans made it into the first team as regular starters over the last 5 years?

As for being soundly beaten in most games, is that not true about most of the current incumbents and the teams likely to be promoted?

6 minutes ago, DOGFATHER said:

And yet Bradford, York and Newcastle would be welcomed in? 

How many of the U19's at Salford, Wakefield, Catalans made it into the first team as regular starters over the last 5 years?

As for being soundly beaten in most games, is that not true about most of the current incumbents and the teams likely to be promoted?

It’s just my personal view but I’m increasingly of the opinion that only FT clubs with U19 Academies (or, in the case of Catalans and Toulouse, feeder clubs in the French system) should even bother trying with Super League.

Having Batley in Super League would be a sort of waste of everybody’s time, not least Batley themselves.

1 hour ago, DOGFATHER said:

Are the Premiership embarrassed by the likes of Huddersfield Town, Bournemouth and Wigan's of the game getting in to the top division? Were they faced with the same small minded parochial thinking by football fans when they earned the right to get to the top.   

Most people in the country love an underdog story. Although our bubble is likely to burst, possibly as early as Saturday, our club is probably better run than most in SL, we have better facilities and a better ground than a lot of them too.

The big question is, why as a sport, do so many people think the likes of Bradford, York or Newcastle should be welcomed in to SL unequivocally, when one has been mismanaged by several owners to biblical proportions, one's best achievement is a single 3rd placed finish, and the other was not even good enough to gain promotion from the bottom tier, despite spending several times what all of their competitors had?

Yet a well run club, with no history of financial issues, like Batley, that has won the NR Cup, been to a Grand Final, and finished in the top 3 on two occasions in very recent history is an embarrassment to the game and top flight?

Could it be, this type of thinking is what is truly holding the game back from becoming the national sport it should be?

A sport where success is not dependent on what happens on the pitch, but rather on the say so of a group of self interested, small time business men, looking to ensure they remain unchallenged at the top of the game.

How attractive is that to potential sponsors? A sport decided by a committee. 

The same people that think Batley are an embarrassment, are the people that wonder why the game can only get sponsorship in the form of a free pizza, and a few pictures on the back of a couple of wagons and wonder why the game is a laughing stock.

How many fans were up in arms over the recent Super League proposal in football, yet, could not see the irony that the self same thing happened in RL all those years ago, and still think it was good for the game?

Best comments for some time this 100 percent right. People don't think their negativity affects things. Narrow minded attitudes has held the sport back amongst other things for years.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

It’s just my personal view but I’m increasingly of the opinion that only FT clubs with U19 Academies (or, in the case of Catalans and Toulouse, feeder clubs in the French system) should even bother trying with Super League.

Having Batley in Super League would be a sort of waste of everybody’s time, not least Batley themselves.

Not at all. It can be like the parachute payments in Premier League football. It can enable them to build and invest if they go up (or even relegated).

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Hi Rover, you say it's not galling at all then tell me the reasons that rankle with you, I know what you mean so do not take this as a criticism.

It just makes it a mockery when clubs say they ARE getting a new ground but never do, I just think it makes a mockery of the game and then like I've already said whats the point in ANY other club ( bar Toulouse) playing games if there's no promotion? Its a waste of fans time and money and the clubs themselves.

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Why do you think they exist? I'll answer for you! To compete at the highest level they can. If they were promoted they would be fulfilling the dream of the club, and their supporters. Regardless of what happened after that, it would be a cause for celebration.

Fortunately, our game's structures allow for them to be promoted if they can achieve it rather than those on here who would rather it was otherwise.

If the game decreed no p/r then so be it, but I think the game would be poorer for it! (and what would replace the thrilling excitement of threads like this?)

28 minutes ago, distantdog said:

Why do you think they exist? I'll answer for you! To compete at the highest level they can. If they were promoted they would be fulfilling the dream of the club, and their supporters. Regardless of what happened after that, it would be a cause for celebration.

Fortunately, our game's structures allow for them to be promoted if they can achieve it rather than those on here who would rather it was otherwise.

If the game decreed no p/r then so be it, but I think the game would be poorer for it! (and what would replace the thrilling excitement of threads like this?)

I'm pretty sure the Batley chairman is on the record as saying they don't want to go up. Or they didn't when in the Middle 8s a few years back.

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Fair enough , everybody is entitled to an opinion 

Archived