Gildart joins the Tigers

54 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

What is the deal with Hankinson? Do Wigan Fans rate him at all? I thought he was on loan for a year and then due to return?

He's a solid defender and absolutely outstanding goalkicker, but he's never really shown anything to suggest he's Super League quality. Not really pacey or agile and not the strongest ball carrier either.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

I have no real idea about the youngsters coming through at Wigan, any decent young centres that could in a season or two replace Gildart?

Will be interesting to see how he goes over there though. Best of luck to him. I think the only thing he lacks compared to many of the outside backs in the NRL is size. 

well, they're currently playing liam farrell at willie isa at centre, so it doesn't seem like they've got anyone on the horizon in that position

39 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Interesting what may happen with Saints, Coote is off contract and undecided (the club appear relaxed on this), Naiqama is only 32 so could go around another year or two but against those decisions Saints must continue to develop Welsby with a position in mind, there are also other young 3/4s waiting for their chances. Would you take King over Naiqama now? 

It’s an interesting period at Saints. We have Bentley, Fages, Batchelor, Coote, Naiqama, Roby, LMS, Amor, Eaves, Nisbet and Rizzeli off contract and Woolf off contract, so 3/4 of our spine and our Head Coach. Throw in the emergence of Dodd and Welsby and it’s a real headache for the club. 

Right now, I’d take King over Naiqama. Naiqama’s had his moments but equally had poor spells but a lot of what we do doesn’t really involve the centres. 

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s an interesting period at Saints. We have Bentley, Fages, Batchelor, Coote, Naiqama, Roby, LMS, Amor, Eaves, Nisbet and Rizzeli off contract and Woolf off contract, so 3/4 of our spine and our Head Coach. Throw in the emergence of Dodd and Welsby and it’s a real headache for the club. 

Right now, I’d take King over Naiqama. Naiqama’s had his moments but equally had poor spells but a lot of what we do doesn’t really involve the centres. 

Saints are being linked with Tonga international Sione Katoa who is a hooker, also reports that Leeds are after Bentley but whether that interests drops for now with his injury remains to be seen.

I didn’t see much in King previously but he looks in good form this year, that said I think Naiqama does a good job at Saints.

Just now, Waynebennettswinger said:

Saints are being linked with Tonga international Sione Katoa who is a hooker, also reports that Leeds are after Bentley but whether that interests drops for now with his injury remains to be seen.

I didn’t see much in King previously but he looks in good form this year, that said I think Naiqama does a good job at Saints.

That Katoa link seems to emanate from Mick Gledhill, whose likely to have put 2 and 2 together and got 1,262,627,710. 

The Bentley one is a worry mind, John Davidson is very good and has good sources. 

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

Sadly, Wigan have gone from 4 time World Club Champions to an NRL nursery club. Hopefully they can sign Gildart back in a few years. 

If he is fit.  I think he is a great center but was he injured before the GF... I forget (?) is that right?  It will need playing time to get fit.

It is a pain to see Wigan players go to NRL, and when they are at their best.  Have any come back to be any better?

Best Wishes to him.  Hope Gildart is fit for rest of season... otherwise beyond that we have to forget him and look for a good center from somewhere next season.

A new 6 is needed as well, and as I say we need a 9.

I think Wigan are a good team even so, and can be as good as any but has work to do for next season.

1 minute ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Thanks for that. How would you compare him to Bibby? 

Bibby definitely looks like the better player, although one area where I think Hankinson may be better in handling ability. Neither seem to have good acceleration but Bibby is more than quick enough when he gets up to speed. Bibby has strength and makes good carries and is also a fairly strong defender physically.

For me Bibby looks like one of those outside backs likely to transition into the back row. He's difficult to bring down when he drives the ball in and can make good post contact metres, he's physically strong defensively. I just don't see anything outstanding in terms of pace, footwork or passing to suggest he'd be anything more than a decent outside back.

Having said that, last season may just have been a tough period for Bibby and he may be able to produce more this year. I hope so. The more games he gets the more we'll learn about how good he can really be.

Just now, Hela Wigmen said:

That Katoa link seems to emanate from Mick Gledhill, whose likely to have put 2 and 2 together and got 1,262,627,710. 

The Bentley one is a worry mind, John Davidson is very good and has good sources. 

The Katoa link is probably given more credence with Woolf being his National Coach, uncertainty over Roby  extending his deal and uncertainty over whether Smith has enough.
Agreed Bentley would be a loss for Saints. 

13 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Thanks for that. How would you compare him to Bibby? 

Hankinson got an injury and never had a chance to get in.  Bibby has been versatile and has improved.

Hankinson will have to be looked at in context of his performance in Championship.  But he kicks goals.  If we had a reserve grade I would definitely keep him.

15 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

If he is fit.  I think he is a great center but was he injured before the GF... I forget (?) is that right?  It will need playing time to get fit.

It is a pain to see Wigan players go to NRL, and when they are at their best.  Have any come back to be any better?

Best Wishes to him.  Hope Gildart is fit for rest of season... otherwise beyond that we have to forget him and look for a good center from somewhere next season.

A new 6 is needed as well, and as I say we need a 9.

I think Wigan are a good team even so, and can be as good as any but has work to do for next season.

I think it's very unlikely that Wigan will look for a new 9. Whether fans rate him or not it seems Powell is nailed down that position.

We do have 3 hookers out on loan though and when checking the League Express reports it seems all 3 have been their sides best player in at least one game so far this year. For fans who don't rate Powell I think one of the younger players breaking through next season is the only hope of a change in that role.

I think the reassuring thing for Wigan is we've been without Gildart and several other outside backs so far this year and coped fine. Gildart is a quality player but he won't be irreplaceable.

43 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

interesting... so you recon its one of Mick Gledhill's more accurate predictions then... :kolobok_ph34r:

53 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Is Woolf handling recruitment (now) for next season, given he's off contract? Or is someone else doing it? With so many players coming off contract somebody needs to start tieing them down before they all disappear. 

5 minutes ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Good to see Gildart is keen to progress.

Will be interesting to see how he copes with the step up.

He will certainly have to step up and shout down the ignorant bigoted Aussie press.

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

What do you think the TK Max is for the kid? Would you make him one of Warrington's top earners? Can they even?

Well I don’t think he should be a marquee player but 150k seems about right.   What I don’t want to see is 4-5 players on massive salaries and the rest on peanuts.   I’m pretty sure that’s not Powell’s type of team either for 2022.

King has been the most consistent of the few good British centres for the past 24 months and is still getting better, but I’m hoping Blake Austin’s marquee spot is given to Daryl Clark who is every bit the definition of marquee.

2 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Well I don’t think he should be a marquee player but 150k seems about right.   What I don’t want to see is 4-5 players on massive salaries and the rest on peanuts.   I’m pretty sure that’s not Powell’s type of team either for 2022.

King has been the most consistent of the few good British centres for the past 24 months and is still getting better, but I’m hoping Blake Austin’s marquee spot is given to Daryl Clark who is every bit the definition of marquee.

Hanging onto Clark will be tough. There are a couple of NRL clubs really keen to get him. He is the main one to retain I agree.

5 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Great news for me. Another Englishman in the NRL and a back at that which will hopefully allow another talented young English player get his chance at wigan.

Hope he takes his homesickness pills with him they struggle not living in wigans rarefied air. 

4 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

What’s hakim miloudi doing these days??

Busy signing for Barrow Raiders.

BOOM!

https://www.barrowrlfc.com/latest-news/raiders-sign-former-super-league-utility-back-hakim-miloudi/

3 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Maybe a good choice for an SL-aspiring or SL-bound Toulouse Olympique.

Archived