Gildart joins the Tigers

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

I always thought Copley was decent without being outstanding, Moga maybe less so, but in this situation where Wigan aren't going to spend big money on luring one of the young talented centres from another SL club (or have the ability to) they seem like a good short term option, with no obvious replacement coming through the youth system.

Gagai is an origin player so doubt he'd consider SL just yet, but think both Morris and Walker would be good signings. And both are better than what Wigan currently have.

Where in SL could Wigan realistically pick up a centre better than Morris or Walker?

George Carmont arrived without any fanfare & turned into one of our best imports of the Superleague era and there have been plenty of NRL players who arrived with big reputations who hardly made an impression in Superleague.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

George Carmont arrived without any fanfare & turned into one of our best imports of the Superleague era and there have been plenty of NRL players who arrived with big reputations who hardly made an impression in Superleague.

George Carmont had made 83 NRL appearances, 10 International appearances and scored 39 tries, he wasn’t a nobody when he signed at Wigan.

Which big reputation NRL players haven’t made an impression in Super League? 

23 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

George Carmont had made 83 NRL appearances, 10 International appearances and scored 39 tries, he wasn’t a nobody when he signed at Wigan.

Been hammering away on google I see 

Where did I say he was a nobody,?

41 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Brett Mullins. Phil adamson. Willie mason. Mark Carroll. Darrell trindall. Bradley Clyde.

57 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Greg Eastwood, Trent Merrin, Widdop, Willy Mason.......

Horses for courses

35 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Been hammering away on google I see 

Where did I say he was a nobody,?

Yep, he was caught out by copy and paste... to cover himself he should have said -" just under 90 NRL games, around 40 tries and I believe he played nearly a dozen games for NZ"...🤣

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Herbie Farnworth. 

18 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Brett Mullins. Phil adamson. Willie mason. Mark Carroll. Darrell trindall. Bradley Clyde.

A bit unfair on Adamson - you can't impress if the new coach decides he doesn't want you.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

A bit unfair on Adamson - you can't impress if the new coach decides he doesn't want you.

Wasn’t the rumour going around at the time that saints had signed the wrong adamson?

A bit like when Man Utd signed Danny Wallace instead of Rod ?

22 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Wasn’t the rumour going around at the time that saints had signed the wrong adamson?

A bit like when Man Utd signed Danny Wallace instead of Rod ?

Really? Man Utd needed a left winger and Rod was a striker, Danny was a left winger. He was a stand out player at Southampton and spent quite a long time in the Man Utd first team to say that he was a mistake. 5 years or so at Man Utd which was ended by the emergence of Ryan Giggs and the early signs (with hindsight) of MS.. won a few things too.. pretty sure if it had have been a mistake he wouldnt have lasted that long... happy to be wrong though, just seems odd.

Now Southampton signing "George Weah's cousin" on the other hand.. that was a mistake. 

5 minutes ago, RP London said:

Really? Man Utd needed a left winger and Rod was a striker, Danny was a left winger. He was a stand out player at Southampton and spent quite a long time in the Man Utd first team to say that he was a mistake. 5 years or so at Man Utd which was ended by the emergence of Ryan Giggs and the early signs (with hindsight) of MS.. won a few things too.. pretty sure if it had have been a mistake he wouldnt have lasted that long... happy to be wrong though, just seems odd.

Now Southampton signing "George Weah's cousin" on the other hand.. that was a mistake. 

That was a rumour I heard of back in the day.

haha!! Ali dia. What a legend 😂

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Mark Carroll is 54, Darrell Trindall and Brett Mullins both 49 and Phil Adamson 51. Hardly recent examples. Let me add the last decade into the question, so. Which big reputation NRL players haven’t made an impression in Super League in the last 10 years? 

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Horses for courses

Trent Merrin was Leeds’s best player in 2019. Greg Eastwood had a decent season in 2010 but went back to the NRL as he was homesick and again that was 11 years ago. 

This attitude that decent NRL players come over to Super League and don’t make it is a myth.

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Horses for courses

A bit harsh on Widdop.   He didn't play much last season as he was injured initially, then COVID hit and his wife and kids disappeared back to Australia.   He didn't walk out on his contract and he's been great so far this year, creating opportunities in a Steve Price side that doesn't focus on attack.   I don't think anyone expected Warrington to be leading point scorers as they are at the moment; Widdop has been a big part of that.

50 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Mark Carroll is 54, Darrell Trindall and Brett Mullins both 49 and Phil Adamson 51. Hardly recent examples. Let me add the last decade into the question, so. Which big reputation NRL players haven’t made an impression in Super League in the last 10 years? 

Willie Mason,Willie Tonga,Josh Perry,SBW,Brent Sherwin,Matt Orford,Keith Galloway,Brett Seymour,Greg Eastwood,Frank Pritchard,Sam Kasiano,James Maloney,Frank Paul Nuuausala

2 hours ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

You can add the likes of Andrew Johns, Allan Langer, and going back to just before SL the likes of Fatty Vautin & Michael O'Connor were complete flops

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

dave taylor

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Were they flops?

3 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Trent Merrin was Leeds’s best player in 2019. Greg Eastwood had a decent season in 2010 but went back to the NRL as he was homesick and again that was 11 years ago. 

This attitude that decent NRL players come over to Super League and don’t make it is a myth.

Is it not the same Australian attitude that says Sam Tomkins was a NRL flop? - he wasn't but because he's English they wanted him to fail.

15 hours ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Langer❓

He played SOO due to his Warrington form❓

He was called back to play for Qld because they literally had nobody else. Doesn't change the fact he was utter garbage in a Warrington shirt

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

17 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Is it not the same Australian attitude that says Sam Tomkins was a NRL flop? - he wasn't but because he's English they wanted him to fail.

Or because he never hit the heights of his first year and then played just over half the games in his final season, contributing one try as NZ disappointingly finished about 13th. 

Archived