York City Knights women

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Didn't see this reported much but York have recruited, in essence, half an England team https://yorkcityknights.com/club/knights-ladies-announce-superseven-signings/

What's the story here? Are they being paid? Have YCK Women got backing from somewhere?

Their coach moved from Castleford, and a few players (5) have followed her.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Yes, but why? I'm thinking there must be some sort of financial element in play.

The Knights aren't paying players - they've just made a major investment in infrastructure in Womens RL  - that's why the players have moved. York is due to be a central hub for Womens World Cup (think the semi's are a double header at York). As ever, John Flatman (Club chairman) is a smart cookie ! https://yorkcityknights.com/club/momentous-day-for-york-anfield-cuthbertson-and-windley-join-ladies-performance-staff/

i think womans game is great,no falling out or beefing just a great game every time.i  also always look forward to the few minutes they get on telly,knock adverts off highlights 15 minutes show and they miss out,

2 minutes ago, RBKnight said:

The Knights aren't paying players - they've just made a major investment in infrastructure in Womens RL  - that's why the players have moved. York is due to be a central hub for Womens World Cup (think the semi's are a double header at York). As ever, John Flatman (Club chairman) is a smart cookie ! https://yorkcityknights.com/club/momentous-day-for-york-anfield-cuthbertson-and-windley-join-ladies-performance-staff/

That's great, really great. 

Just wondering where the money is coming from for such a 'professional' outfit. Do they have a sponsor?

17 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

That's great, really great. 

Just wondering where the money is coming from for such a 'professional' outfit. Do they have a sponsor?

AFAIK, they have tapped in to Sport England, funding, opened up by hosting the RLWC - including a brand spanking new G4 pitch on the great Knights training ground, where the YCK ladies currently play their home games (they will soon be in the new stadium though)

As I said, John Flatman is a very smart cookie....

3 minutes ago, RBKnight said:

AFAIK, they have tapped in to Sport England, funding, opened up by hosting the RLWC - including a brand spanking new G4 pitch on the great Knights training ground, when the YCK ladies play their home games.

That would explain it.

Just now, Scubby said:

York sadly showing Cas what attracts some players. It's not all about cash, it's often about support, facilities and infrastructure. This is heightened when you aren't actually paying your players.

And players in contention for the RLWC wanting to be coached by the England assistant (and ex-Cas coach!) Look at that impressive list of back-up staff YCK Ladies have now got on the link I provided - some championship mens sides would kill for that!

3 hours ago, Scubby said:

York sadly showing Cas what attracts some players. It's not all about cash, it's often about support, facilities and infrastructure. This is heightened when you aren't actually paying your players.

It’s a reasonable distance to travel as well, for training after work etc, shows what a pull there must be. 

Castleford still won their quarter-final on the weekend, so it isn't like they've been stripped bare of playing talent.

Plus York and Cas are drawn against each other in the semi, which could be a guide to whether there's ill-feeling or not.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Think I'm right in saying that Grace Field (one of the England internationals who moved from Cas to York) worked as a coach for the York City Knights community foundation, did her masters degree at York St. Johns, and works at a school in York, so maybe was pretty happy to make the switch once there was a club in York at the right level. Doesn't need to be about money or funding.

Quite a long one, sorry....

From reading social media (the font of all knowledge) there are murmurings of the players at Cas not being paid expenses and a feeling that there wasn’t much support for the women’s team from Castleford Tigers. 

Ignoring all that, the coach going to York no doubt played the biggest part.

But let’s just talk about the women’s World Cup for a moment - there’s 15 games, York are hosting 8 of them including both semi finals and Australia vs NZ. Those 2 sides are also using the facilities as their training base (along with France and Cook Islands). The club are working very closely with the council, the local tourist board, sport England etc. This isn’t a city being selected to host a few matches and just posting a few tweets and a Facebook event and thinking job done hoping a reasonable crowd turns up, this is a club going all out and actually working with big partners with the aim of selling out those games. If you’re an aspiring female RL player it has to be a good thing seeing a club actually be proactive.

And then we come to the facilities - I haven’t been to many clubs training grounds but I’d be surprised if York’s isn’t in the top 5 in RL in this country.

Just imagine as a women’s RL player, you’re training at superb facilities, you’ve got a fantastic off field team in place, you’re being fed good food after training and before matches by the team chef who works at a York hotel, the club are supporting your development, being paid expenses and you’re in a beautiful city which is the main host for the women’s World Cup.

I’m trying to be careful here because I support Castleford too and spent many happy years living there but compare the above to Castleford where the facilities are poor, it’s a proud town but feels rundown, rumours of not much interest from the club itself and food is a linkup with the local pizza shop (which I’m not actually sure if the women’s team get any - I know the men’s team do). 

Anyway I hope both Cas and York women’s teams can progress and push on.

@AB Knight

Good post. As I said above, coach had left and facilities were probably miles better than Castleford.

Hopefully the players are being paid generous expenses as well.

Good to see York going about it the right way regards creating a performance environment.👍🏼

The fact that so many men's teams (even championship level as another poster mentions) are not offering anything like that quality of support says a lot about the sport and why it is tough to retain players in the game. 

Well done York. 

1 hour ago, Impartial Observer said:

The Cas coach resigned a few weeks ago citing she wanted to spend more time with her family, then she accepts a job at York. Maybe York saw an opportunity to entice her back to the game or maybe it was all part of a plan. 

I'll throw in a football anecdote because why not. Hastings United Women - who have only just gone and won the league title you beauties - were formed at the end of last season/start of this. They've drawn in not only players from the local area who previously didn't have a team but also several from more established sides including a couple who had talked about/had actually retired.

From conversations I've had it seems that the motivation amongst all of them came about because at Hastings the women's side really is part of the club. Same facilities, same expectations, same access to physio/medics etc and, somewhat crucially it turns out, also the same decent kit and training garb that all the male sides including the junior academy were getting as standard.

Players who were retired/retiring saw that they wouldn't just be slogging their guts out to keep going in front of five people and representing a club who gave them a badge but not much else and so reversed their decisions.

(I don't know about payments at Hastings. I suspect, given the distances some players are travelling, that expenses at least are being covered. The club have said though they whilst they can't justify it yet they are expecting to move soon to an equivalent set up as at Lewes where players in the men's and women's first teams are paid the same.)

Anyway, shorter version: treat your women's side like it's an essential and integral part of your club and good things will happen, don't do that and you'll have more of a struggle.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I'm hoping that the women's game continues to improve and get more visibility. Hull FC certainly need to put more investment into it over here.

It's a little thing but I can't see that the women at Hull FC have a separate twitter feed - which is not a problem, some clubs do and some don't - but this, therefore, is the header that represents them.

https://twitter.com/hullfcofficial

Which doesn't even mention the existence of the team. Small details and really easy to fix without annoying the majority who will, obviously, be there for the men's team.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Anyway, shorter version: treat your women's side like it's an essential and integral part of your club and good things will happen, don't do that and you'll have more of a struggle.

Observing women`s RL over the past few years here and in Aus and NZ, it`s apparent which clubs have taken a decision in principle along the lines you set out above. And which haven`t.

Those that have tend to be more forward-thinking and imaginative, understanding the value of long-term investment. Those that haven`t, for whom women`s RL is a tentative venture, abandon their team when faced with setbacks. Probably because they don`t really see it as "their" team.

Hope I`m not tempting fate in saying that the example of current best practice in Aus outside the NRL is North Sydney Bears.

Good to see an up and coming championship outfit outshining an established top 6 super league side, and then defeating the mighty Wigan’s women team. Having said that and seeing the highlights on Sky, I can only see the usual 40 point thrashings by Oz and NZ in the World Cup.

Archived