Is the World Cup in doubt?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might have missed something but whilst I understand that Super Rugby looked very different this year due to COVID, Australian cricketers have seemingly had no issue getting into and back out of India for the IPL, so presumably there is some mechanism that allows elite sportsmen/women to travel? 

Just now, Rupert Prince said:

I am sure the Aussies are desperate not to have to bother with the WC.

Yeah, the ones who actually play International Rugby, the ones who actually have a plan for International Rugby, the ones implementing their plan for International Rugby and the ones seeing the rewards of their plan for International Rugby don’t want to play International Rugby. 

Good job we’re flying the flag for International Rugby by playing...erm...the Combined Nations. 

1 minute ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I might have missed something but whilst I understand that Super Rugby looked very different this year due to COVID, Australian cricketers have seemingly had no issue getting into and back out of India for the IPL, so presumably there is some mechanism that allows elite sportsmen/women to travel? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9532365/amp/Australian-cricketers-Adam-Zampa-Kane-Richardson-escape-India-travel-loophole.html#click=https://t.co/Qu6WIk6mbP

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Yeah, the ones who actually play International Rugby, the ones who actually have a plan for International Rugby, the ones implementing their plan for International Rugby and the ones seeing the rewards of their plan for International Rugby don’t want to play International Rugby. 

Good job we’re flying the flag for International Rugby by playing...erm...the Combined Nations. 

and fiji in rochdale.. :kolobok_ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

This is only for us plebs, rich businessmen, politicians and elite sport players are travelling all over the world. 

If your rich or play professional sport Covid knows not to touch you.

As ever the devil is in the details. Lots of talk about travel being 'low' and borders being 'largely closed' - so clearly there are going to be exceptions. 

Given that they held the Australian Open tennis in January and, so far as we know, are sending a team to the Olympics, then I think we can assume that a way will be find to fly out the players and get them home again.

And, obviously, it needs to happen as most of the teams rely heavily on players based in Australia. What probably isn't going to happen is hordes of supporters being allowed to travel. But do many Aussie fans tend to come over for a World Cup? We send plenty down under, but I'm not sure if it is reciprocated...

Meninga will want it on the club's won't want their player's to be involved as usual, it comes down to what V' Landys  says, he is the one who will make the decision, has he spoken about it?

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

No, and recent comments by boffins give confidence that we won't have to have another lockdown during the autumn either. 

Wasn’t Neil Ferguson was it ...

The Aus and NZ govt. stances will be crucial. If players that are based over there, then I think France and Jamaica (possibly Wales also) are the only ones whose full-strength teams would be unaffected. 

What happens over there is just as, if not more crucial than what happens in the UK.

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

No, and recent comments by boffins give confidence that we won't have to have another lockdown during the autumn either. 

It's not really what our government is doing that's the issue - it is entirely down to what the Australian government does with regards to its borders.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It's not really what our government is doing that's the issue - it is entirely down to what the Australian government does with regards to its borders.

Is there an elite sports exemption or special plan thing . They’ll have to go to the Olympics for example?

5 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Is there an elite sports exemption or special plan thing . They’ll have to go to the Olympics for example?

I honestly don’t know but, as reported above, it wasn’t easy for the cricketers to get back. And bear in mind the cricketers are properly rich.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived