Is the World Cup in doubt?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Olympics is in doubt because of the situation in Japan, not the countries that are sending athletes.

I have no doubt the World Cup will go ahead and it will be fantastic. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

50 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I think the World Cup will be brilliant. I've loved all precious versions, seeing new players, new rivalries etc.

The best of the RL WCs have been the less known countries, so if any drop out, it's sad but I still cannot wait

Um, what? That option is not even on the table. Either all 16 teams will play, or none. 

48 minutes ago, langpark said:

Um, what? That option is not even on the table. Either all 16 teams will play, or none. 

This scenario could transpire.  The UK government could give the go ahead to the comp and the organisers decide that the World Cup happens but one of the nations decide not to send a team for their own reasons (i.e. quarantine on return).

Should the competition be postponed if one nation doesn't want to compete?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The key really is Australia who are basically supplying 10 teams out of the 16.

Years gone by Aussies travelled for the ashes tests thats history and away support outside ex pat and traveling Aussies and kiwis + a plane load of French rugby league fans will be ZERO:(

Will and can it be a success YES it can if the great ENGLISH (Notice I have not said British) embrace it and I have a feeling they will (Thats England BTW that great country that has no government:)

Paul

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

This scenario could transpire.  The UK government could give the go ahead to the comp and the organisers decide that the World Cup happens but one of the nations decide not to send a team for their own reasons (i.e. quarantine on return).

Should the competition be postponed if one nation doesn't want to compete?

That is what I am saying though, this will not happen. Almost every WC player is based in UK or Aus-based, plus a few in NZ and France. 

So it will come down almost entirely to how strict the Aus govt. are going to be.

RLWC2021 organisers said there are 3 scenarios: 1) WC happens as normal, no crowd restrictions 2) WC happens with limited crowds 3) WC is postponed to 2022. There has not been any talk of a reduced teams tournament. 

17 minutes ago, langpark said:

Is it?

I'd be surprised if, after the decision for the tournament to definitely go ahead, a couple of teams were unable to play then they would cancel the whole thing.

this has been waiting to surface behind the scenes for a few weeks - not to mention the marketing team behind ticket sales etc  are struggling like never before 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

this has been waiting to surface behind the scenes for a few weeks - not to mention the marketing team behind ticket sales etc  are struggling like never before 

Can you expand on this struggle?

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Can you expand on this struggle?

no sorry- but i know its not going well on the promotions side and a lot of it is to do with a lack of co operation from down under

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

The Olympics is in doubt because of the situation in Japan, not the countries that are sending athletes.

I have no doubt the World Cup will go ahead and it will be fantastic. 

Just checked. Australian participation in the Olympics is happening - so far - because the Australian Olympic Committee are paying for the quarantine costs on return that all athletes will face. This is having pushed Olympic participants to the front of Australia's vaccine queue.

Who's going to pay for the returning Australian-based rugby league players if, as expected, quarantine is still required on return?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Who's going to pay for the returning Australian-based rugby league players if, as expected, quarantine is still required on return?

I don't know. Would be a shame if the World Cup had to be cancelled because no-one was prepared to pay for the players quarantine on return to Australia. 

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I don't know. Would be a shame if the World Cup had to be cancelled because no-one was prepared to pay for the players quarantine on return to Australia. 

It's not cheap though, so it's not a straightforward, "Just find the money, someone" situation.

I'm sure it's possible to do but it is likely to be causing headaches for some folk.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

44 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

no sorry- but i know its not going well on the promotions side and a lot of it is to do with a lack of co operation from down under

I'm struggling to understand what cooperation the organisers need from down under to promote the world cup... could you at least expand on that?

If the WC does go ahead and the 2 week mandatory Australian & New Zealand hotel quarrentine is still in place I can see a lot of the southern hemisphere players withdrawing from the competition. 

Players are only going to get roughly 6 weeks off so I can't imagine they will want to spend 2 of those weeks stuck in a hotel by themselves. 

The New Zealand Warriors are currently based in Aus. They will be dying to get back to NZ to spend as much time with their families.

51 minutes ago, AB90 said:

The New Zealand Warriors are currently based in Aus. They will be dying to get back to NZ to spend as much time with their families.

This indeed is a big factor, same situation as PNG Hunters too, though not as many of their players are in the national team.

2 hours ago, AB90 said:

If the WC does go ahead and the 2 week mandatory Australian & New Zealand hotel quarrentine is still in place I can see a lot of the southern hemisphere players withdrawing from the competition. 

Players are only going to get roughly 6 weeks off so I can't imagine they will want to spend 2 of those weeks stuck in a hotel by themselves. 

Yeah I suspect this could certainly become an issue, especially if the NRL sides have to undergo periods of increased "bubble" restrictions throughout the season (as is happening now for the NSW based sides). I'm not fully across the situation at the moment in the UK re covid but is there any chance the WC sides would have to be in a "bubble" type situation?

If so I have a feeing there will be major problems with players from the Southern Hemisphere pulling out, if not however it may actually be a positive as effectively the WC could provide players with their only opportunity for International travel for the past 2 years (bar NZ now). Hopefully things progress in both countries to a point where this won't become a major factor because this WC has the possibility to be our best ever.

9 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

How does promotion of the tournament in Australia affect ticket sales in England? Let’s face it 99% of tickets sold are going to be to people living here anyway. 

7 hours ago, UTK said:

Yeah I suspect this could certainly become an issue, especially if the NRL sides have to undergo periods of increased "bubble" restrictions throughout the season (as is happening now for the NSW based sides). I'm not fully across the situation at the moment in the UK re covid but is there any chance the WC sides would have to be in a "bubble" type situation?

If so I have a feeing there will be major problems with players from the Southern Hemisphere pulling out, if not however it may actually be a positive as effectively the WC could provide players with their only opportunity for International travel for the past 2 years (bar NZ now). Hopefully things progress in both countries to a point where this won't become a major factor because this WC has the possibility to be our best ever.

If everything continues on as it is at the moment they are expecting pretty much all restrictions to be gone by the summer. The Vaccination program is going well so there may be a need to quarantine on the way in (or do some testing/proof of vaccination) but once in it may be quite a "normal" existence.

7 hours ago, UTK said:

By June 21st we're supposed to be, as far as possible, "back to normal" in the UK - with all adults having been offered at least a first vaccine dose by then. By Autumn a few boosters will be available for the vulnerable but unless a variant that cannot be controlled by the vaccines emerges there is no reason to think the UK would be in bubbles or similar by then.

Unvaccinated players might be an issue as it seems vaccine passports will be necessary for travel, but otherwise its basically set to be fine here.

9 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

super league has enough Australians and New Zealanders to fill the the void

I suppose the point then moves to Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, PNG, Cook Islands, even Lebanon. 

17 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Any evidence about ticket sales?

Archived