Sat 15 - Mon 17 May - The Betfred Championship Match Thread

Just now, gavin7094 said:

I don't think it is wild swings in form.  It's just that the teams are fairly evenly matched and if you don't bring it but the opposition do, you'll trip up.

Yes, that's a fair point. Indeed for years, for the "stronger" teams you never know whether the "weaker" teams are going to turn up or capitulate. I suspect sometimes there's an element of being unable to back up a big effort the previous week (Swinton following their fine Challenge Cup effort against Warrington is a good example).

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think in the Championship there's no easy games. If you approach the game with the wrong attitude no matter who you're playing, you'll soon find yourself on the wrong end of the scoreboard.There's some very astute coaches coaching the so-called lesser lights, but they still know all the structures and plays.

That was the best London performance literally in years, Way above expectation. No Corey Aston, Jarrod Sammut not on for the second half and going uphill in rain. Never in doubt, what was most impressive was the sides determination to keep Batley at 6 points in garbage time where normally a side scores a few tries to make the scoreline respectable. Does the points difference a power of good too.

The Forwards played well especially Daniel Hindmarsh (not so Romian Navarette) Struggling with Meadows as mana of the match though....

I need to lie down after this result.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Bottom line is there's a lot of teams in the championship who are very similar   and like today the team that makes the least mistakes and keeps hold of the ball will always win 

1 hour ago, gavin7094 said:

Championship so unpredictable again this year.

More interesting by far than the "Super" League. 

It is possible to be complimentary about one thing without needing to sneer at something else.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, gavin7094 said:

I don't think it is wild swings in form.  It's just that the teams are fairly evenly matched and if you don't bring it but the opposition do, you'll trip up.

Tend to agree. I was expecting London to win this one, but not by this margin. 

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

It is possible to be complimentary about one thing without needing to sneer at something else.

I hear what your saying. It’s true though😁

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

can't imagine TO XIII will want to risk the likes of Kheiralla or Gigot on the Whitehaven quagmire. That pitch is a health and safety risk at the best of times so I'd imagine a conservative or 'industrial' approach from Toulouse. They won't want to risk their classiest players on that atrocious surface. 

6 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

can't imagine TO XIII will want to risk the likes of Kheiralla or Gigot on the Whitehaven quagmire. That pitch is a health and safety risk at the best of times so I'd imagine a conservative or 'industrial' approach from Toulouse. They won't want to risk their classiest players on that atrocious surface. 

You obviously don't watch their home games on our league.

7 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Very odd comment...the bottom left corner of the Railway End can become waterlogged after days of very heavy rain, but the same could be said about many other pitches.

With Whitehaven's current injury list, Toulouse can probably afford to rest a few and still win comfortably, but if they do so, it will be nothing to do with the pitch...

13 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

FWIW up hill in the rain is easier that down hill in the rain. Tackle up hill in the rain every day of the week.

Agree Oxy it is easier to defend up a stiff slope not such a pull on the calf muscles going downhill to get onside.The other side when defending will feel more pull on them getting back 10m uphill.

49 minutes ago, Moominman said:

Very odd comment...the bottom left corner of the Railway End can become waterlogged after days of very heavy rain, but the same could be said about many other pitches.

With Whitehaven's current injury list, Toulouse can probably afford to rest a few and still win comfortably, but if they do so, it will be nothing to do with the pitch...

Kheiralla won't be risked as he is coming back from a calf strain. Gigot isn't match ready yet, maybe he will be in the squad for the Swinton game. There are a couple coming back from injury as well so maybe they will get some game time today but they should use the whole squad. 

8 hours ago, The Frying Scotsman said:

Maybe we’ll got to see more French players than normal.

Just now, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Funnily enough haven a history of signing a few French players in recent times. Maybe some will catch the eye of the haven coach.

Maybe so. Overseas players have a history of settling in the area. Many years ago I worked with a fella who played hooker for Whitehaven, he was called Mike Barwise, he had a Pub up there.  A friend of mine, the great Keith Bridges said Barwise was a tough little bug**r to play against. 

2 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Maybe so. Overseas players have a history of settling in the area. Many years ago I worked with a fella who played hooker for Whitehaven, he was called Mike Barwise, he had a Pub up there.  A friend of mine, the great Keith Bridges said Barwise was a tough little bug**r to play against. 

What was the name of the pub?

2 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

What was the name of the pub?

Sorry, can't remember that one. He had a Free House not to far from the ground. It was in the 80s so a long time ago. He is a local lad. Saw him first time for years at the Haven v Featherstone Cup Quarter Final in 1994.

6 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

Sorry, can't remember that one. He had a Free House not to far from the ground. It was in the 80s so a long time ago. He is a local lad. Saw him first time for years at the Haven v Featherstone Cup Quarter Final in 1994.

Haha!! I was at that game. Les quirk scored a length of the field try I believe?

10 minutes ago, Cumbrian Mackem said:

Haha!! I was at that game. Les quirk scored a length of the field try I believe?

Sorry my mistake, it was 1995, 42 - 14 to Rovers. You are probably right about Quirk, he joined Haven in 94. 

Archived