Fri 14 May: SL: Leeds Rhinos v Wakefield Trinity KO 19:45 (TV)

Who will win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • Wakefield Trinity

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/05/21 at 19:15

8 minutes ago, Niels said:

If ever a draw was a fitting result it was this game. Both teams gave so much effort.

The general concensus was that it was decided by a referee's 50-50 decision. 

My own view is that if it is a decision that effectively decides the game, the referee has to be over 90% sure before giving it. Especially if it isn't foul play.

Otherwise, the ending becomes such an anti-climax. 

He was 100% sure, otherwise he wouldn't have given it. Of course we can discuss if it was correct or not in our opinions but I don't think he would give any penalty unless he is sure.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I don’t think that decision was that controversial, it was a strip on the floor after the ref had called held

yep, as Sky presenter said the ref had called held.  The player then stripped the ball. It was unfortunate that the ref called held at just the wrong moment as the player managed to grab the ball away... but the again the Leeds player may have relaxed as he heard the call of held and hence why the Wakey player managed to grab it.

Of course it doesn't follow the narrative and it was undoubtedly a tough call... The ref believes he made the right call. He was in a better position and knows when he called held and at which point the ball was stripped... I don't know and unless somebody plays the ref call and can judge when the ball is stripped its just hot air.

6 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Not much talk about Wakefield or Chester.

I feel for Chester, it says something that the guy is fighting back tears and his players are coming out to publicly support him.

Leeds might have dominated the ball but they had the rub the entire game and have enough bodies back to put on a much more capable showing than that.

Maybe and a hard way to lose for sure. never-the-less their were some calls that went against Leeds that seemed to be the wrong call and as the commentators called at various times...  So it isn't as if Wakefield didn't have the rub at times.

I actually think Wakey could finish bottom as Leigh only need to beat them twice and maybe pick up another somewhere, Can't see Wakey winning 4 games at all at the moment.

They have plenty of effort but that's all, i can't think of one player on their team tonight i'd have in mine - including OAB who's on loan from us, strange one as our fullback has been injured all year, obviously he's deemed good enough for Wakey if not for us.

On the game itself although lacking in quality it had an uncertain and potentialy exciting finish for the neutrals and though maybe controversial the decision at the end was absolutely correct, tackle completed, ref shouted help, defender ripped ball, if that happened in the 20th, 40th or 60th minute no-one would bat an eyelid as it's a correct decision.

As for golden point i personally hate it, it offers zero excitiment to me and in some instances spoils what was a cracking game where a draw was 100% a fair result, it's the 1st thing i'd change in the game if i could - it's a horrid concept.

God knows how Chester's still employed though.

It was impressive line defence by Wakefield. The rest of the defence was relatively poor as Leeds were able to make plenty of yards ending in Wakefield having to rely on the last ditch defence.

Wakefield also were not able to get into good attack positions for  good periods, either through good outer defence by Leeds or Wakefield inability to make much yardage.

Yes a tough way to lose the game but overall Leeds should have done much better with the possession and field position they had. Thats the worry for Wakefield.

Of course the worry for Leeds is their attacking prowess and some really daft decisions in a tight game...

As others have said, superb goal line defence from Wakey. The main reason for Leeds making yardage so easily elsewhere I think was energy levels. Partly self inflicted by mistakes but I think the biggest factor was being 2 interchanges down and having to rotate 15 players for most of the game. 

I thought the penalty decision at the end was correct. It's unfortunate that the ref only has 2 options, i.e. play on or penalty. It would be fairer if he were allowed to give the ball back to Leeds to play the last tackle just like when a player going again after a tackle can be brought back to play the ball. Would probably have led to Gale kicking a DG but you never know.

For those who like consistency, it's reassuring that Leeds are still allowed a good quota of forward passes in a game! Also the knock on by Leeds under their own posts from the high kick in the second half was a shocking decision. Yes the ball landed behind the catcher but came off his palm which was facing forward and a clear knock on, given 99% of the time so why not then?

I'm a bit worried where the first win is coming from. Can't wait to be there against HKR next week and with the same commitment, 17 players staying fit for the whole match and around 50% of the 50:50 calls I feel we should win. But I've been to plenty of games with that attitude where we have been soundly beaten so nervous is an understatement.

2 minutes ago, north yorks trinity said:

As others have said, superb goal line defence from Wakey. The main reason for Leeds making yardage so easily elsewhere I think was energy levels. Partly self inflicted by mistakes but I think the biggest factor was being 2 interchanges down and having to rotate 15 players for most of the game. 

I thought the penalty decision at the end was correct. It's unfortunate that the ref only has 2 options, i.e. play on or penalty. It would be fairer if he were allowed to give the ball back to Leeds to play the last tackle just like when a player going again after a tackle can be brought back to play the ball. Would probably have led to Gale kicking a DG but you never know.

For those who like consistency, it's reassuring that Leeds are still allowed a good quota of forward passes in a game! Also the knock on by Leeds under their own posts from the high kick in the second half was a shocking decision. Yes the ball landed behind the catcher but came off his palm which was facing forward and a clear knock on, given 99% of the time so why not then?

I'm a bit worried where the first win is coming from. Can't wait to be there against HKR next week and with the same commitment, 17 players staying fit for the whole match and around 50% of the 50:50 calls I feel we should win. But I've been to plenty of games with that attitude where we have been soundly beaten so nervous is an understatement.

To be fair wakefield got a knock on go for them when Handley hadn’t touched it after a high kick. And they got away with a strip which should have been play on to leeds in the second half.

the ref wasn’t the reason Wakefield lost cut out the errors and theyll give themselves a better chance.

Conversely if leeds cut out the daft penalties and  they win in normal time

1 hour ago, DimmestStar said:

That's the first time I've ever seen a referee give a penalty in golden point extra time. For anything.

Very tough for Wakey to lose the game on a 50/50 decision. Once again a team fight so hard get a draw and are denied anything because of golden point.

Both teams defended well and probably the only good part of Leeds performance was how they kept Wakefield in their own 20 thus getting the better of field position. They didn't do much with it though and Wakefield defended so well for so long.

Wakefield deserved a draw at least and for me it is wrong that they get nothing from the game.

Totally agree. Golden Point is a stupid idea.

In the Hull KR vs Cas cup tie Hicks was the referee and didn't find a single penalty in almost 20 minutes of extra time. This was despite a very similar incident where Korbin Sims had the ball stripped by a Cas player after the tackle was complete. This decision won the game for Cas whereas an equal and opposite decision tonight won the game for Leeds.

God, Rugby League fans are really miserable. We’ve had a fairly entertaining, if not the hugest quality, game decided by golden point amidst controversial decisions. Granted, Chris Chester, Wakefield as a club and their fans won’t see it quite like this but drama, controversy and entertainment sells but this sports default setting is negativity. 

That loss sets up a narrative of the next three Wakefield games being monumental. They play three of the current bottom half next, the current 7th, 9th and 12th teams in the comp and are in vital need of points. There’s a story to be told there, Wakefield’s twenty plus year Super League stay is in severe threat. Leeds needed that win to keep their season alive. They managed it and now have four of the current top five next, where saving their season tonight could then look like confirming their play-off intentions come the end of next month.

Meh, never mind, let’s keep the cycle of depression going. 

21 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

To be fair wakefield got a knock on go for them when Handley hadn’t touched it after a high kick. And they got away with a strip which should have been play on to leeds in the second half.

the ref wasn’t the reason Wakefield lost cut out the errors and theyll give themselves a better chance.

I'll actually give you those two. It was just all the others...

I'm not saying the ref is the reason we lost, just one of several contributing factors, some of our own making and some outside our control.

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

God, Rugby League fans are really miserable. We’ve had a fairly entertaining, if not the hugest quality, game decided by golden point amidst controversial decisions. Granted, Chris Chester, Wakefield as a club and their fans won’t see it quite like this but drama, controversy and entertainment sells but this sports default setting is negativity. 

That loss sets up a narrative of the next three Wakefield games being monumental. They play three of the current bottom half next, the current 7th, 9th and 12th teams in the comp and are in vital need of points. There’s a story to be told there, Wakefield’s twenty plus year Super League stay is in severe threat. Leeds needed that win to keep their season alive. They managed it and now have four of the current top five next, where saving their season tonight could then look like confirming their play-off intentions come the end of next month.

Meh, never mind, let’s keep the cycle of depression going. 

Here's an idea.

Refs contrive to put Wigan in the bottom half and we have the incredible drama of Wigan fighting to avoid relegation.

Oh the sheer drama of it! That would cure the depression for sure.

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

He was 100% sure, otherwise he wouldn't have given it. Of course we can discuss if it was correct or not in our opinions but I don't think he would give any penalty unless he is sure.

Having thought about this, he had to make a decision due to the Wakefield player stripping the ball. 

That action meant he had a decision to make one way or the other.

I think his mistake was calling held too early. 

53 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Here's an idea.

Refs contrive to put Wigan in the bottom half and we have the incredible drama of Wigan fighting to avoid relegation.

Oh the sheer drama of it! That would cure the depression for sure.

That would count on referees being at least partial and at worst corrupt. If that makes people less depressed, maybe they'd be happier watching pro wrestling.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

I actually think Wakey could finish bottom as Leigh only need to beat them twice and maybe pick up another somewhere, Can't see Wakey winning 4 games at all at the moment.

They have plenty of effort but that's all, i can't think of one player on their team tonight i'd have in mine - including OAB who's on loan from us, strange one as our fullback has been injured all year, obviously he's deemed good enough for Wakey if not for us.

On the game itself although lacking in quality it had an uncertain and potentialy exciting finish for the neutrals and though maybe controversial the decision at the end was absolutely correct, tackle completed, ref shouted help, defender ripped ball, if that happened in the 20th, 40th or 60th minute no-one would bat an eyelid as it's a correct decision.

As for golden point i personally hate it, it offers zero excitiment to me and in some instances spoils what was a cracking game where a draw was 100% a fair result, it's the 1st thing i'd change in the game if i could - it's a horrid concept.

God knows how Chester's still employed though.

lets give both teams one point each and an extra point for the golden point win a point is deserved for the effort put in.

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

Again which begs the question - How can you have relegation when you are in a Division that you can draw a game and come away with nothing ?

Its Rubbish. Golden point only works when the is no Relegation.

I don't think any team will be relegated this year, but Imagine if Wakefield and HKR go down on Points difference / Percentage or whatever you bloody call it when technically they should have extra points in the bag from an 80 minute draw ?

Absolute Tosh !!

9 hours ago, my missus said:

lets give both teams one point each and an extra point for the golden point win a point is deserved for the effort put in.

Exactly, reward both for their original effort but if were keeping this horrible concept then that has to be the only right way.

Misbalancing the competition by making some games worth 3 points can't be right. If there's three teams in a relegation dogfight and two of them take points away from a critical game that is incredibly unfair on the other side.

The correct answer is to do away with golden point, but the level of my pulse rate last night shows why they won't.

30 minutes ago, M j M said:

Misbalancing the competition by making some games worth 3 points can't be right. If there's three teams in a relegation dogfight and two of them take points away from a critical game that is incredibly unfair on the other side.

The correct answer is to do away with golden point, but the level of my pulse rate last night shows why they won't.

This is the system the NHL uses (though, note, they don't have relegation). Two points for win, one point for a loss in overtime/shootout, zero points for losing in regulation.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

This is the system the NHL uses (though, note, they don't have relegation). Two points for win, one point for a loss in overtime/shootout, zero points for losing in regulation.

Quoting myself but possibly worth noting that whilst checking this you come across far, far more articles about why this is an awful and unfair system than anything else.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

hard to disagree.

Also some daft decisions by Leeds players...

trying an off-load on yer 20 yard line on the 2nd tackle on the return set from scoring a try - yep he was one of the youngsters but surely through his 2apprenticeship" that type of thing would have been hammered home....   

not taking two points from penalty in a tight game in last quarter of game which would have then put them 4 points in front...

taking the ball towards the edge when drop goal was needed...

not mentioning a couple of times not passing when try was on...

anyway that's the commentary I got from "me missus" moaning down me earhole all night... the last few Leeds games the biggest moan has been the daft decisions... not so much the losing...

17 hours ago, Niels said:

If ever a draw was a fitting result it was this game. Both teams gave so much effort.

The general concensus was that it was decided by a referee's 50-50 decision. 

My own view is that if it is a decision that effectively decides the game, the referee has to be over 90% sure before giving it. Especially if it isn't foul play.

Otherwise, the ending becomes such an anti-climax. 

I wonder if the table would look different if there was no golden point. I’m amazed club’s voted in favour of it. 
I don’t know how long the game went on for last night but matches seem to be finishing later & later. 

Archived