Tom Johnstone

There was a remarkable similarity between the head shot Tom received from Isa and the one Josh Griffin received from Farrell last week.  Neither were penalised but both recipients had to leave the field. 

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

I wouldn't automatically assume the worst. They are much more thorough than they ever used to be when it comes to concussions and will just want to be certain that everything is OK with him before he gets the green light.

However, it would be a crying shame if he does have to retire early because of this. That would be an awful lot of unfulfilled potential.

I really hope the lad gets a bit more luck going forward.

22 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

There was a remarkable similarity between the head shot Tom received from Isa and the one Josh Griffin received from Farrell last week.  Neither were penalised but both recipients had to leave the field. 

If Tom Johnstone had concussion after the Wigan game why was he playing one week  later ?Surely that is against RFL head injury protocol and he had “another” concussion the one you “Wakey” fans and a few others don’t mention. Give your anti-Wigan” specs a polish.

Yes I also fear the worst as this sounds worrying. However it seems one thing after another and like someone mentioned he has been injured more than he has played over last few seasons.

All the talent in the world, but probably dosn,t have the body to withstand the punishment that playing RL inflicts.

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

Yes I also fear the worst as this sounds worrying. However it seems one thing after another and like someone mentioned he has been injured more than he has played over last few seasons.

All the talent in the world, but probably dosn,t have the body to withstand the punishment that playing RL inflicts.

Very talented player. 

But really fragile, or so it seems 

6 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

Didn't people say something similar about Jonny Lomax, in those years when he seemed doomed to be a bit-part player between injury after injury after injury? He's come through all that and is now a regular player for Saints.

Currently, we have Johnstone and Manfredi going through something similar, so let's hope they can get past this too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Didn't people say something similar about Jonny Lomax, in those years when he seemed doomed to be a bit-part player between injury after injury after injury? He's come through all that and is now a regular player for Saints.

Currently, we have Johnstone and Manfredi going through something similar, so let's hope they can get past this too.

I hope he manages to pull through. However it's not like fractures etc. We know what they are and how long it takes to recover. The concussion damage which is now a grave concern in many sports is far more complicated. Such injuries are already forcing sportsmen to end their careers early, so let's hope his issues can be cured and he can pull through.

12 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Can’t see the Manfredi connection he’s just had a fractured thumb.

14 hours ago, Southerner said:

We’ve got to get tougher on head shots. On the field yellow and red cards must increase to send a message to the players that it’s serious. 

Along with the key support of the Disciplinary of longer bans

For some time i've felt our disciplinary needs an overhaul, certainly in terms of punishments.

I'd suggest much bigger punishments for things such as head high tackles (clubs and players), and a points system for infringements so once a player/club hits so many points he picks up a ban. Off-sides, PTB infringements, back chat etc all receiving points with certain infringements like head high tackles receiving instant bans as well as a red card.

Would be a big job but i think it would be worth it.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

15 hours ago, Southerner said:

We’ve got to get tougher on head shots. On the field yellow and red cards must increase to send a message to the players that it’s serious. 

This, and have a serious word with those who want to "Bring Back The Biff"

16 hours ago, Southerner said:

The game's rules are to blame.  We have been playing RL for over 100 years.  Why is there now an issue with concussion?   

7 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

The game's rules are to blame.  We have been playing RL for over 100 years.  Why is there now an issue with concussion?   

There has always been an issue and always will be but we have a lot more expert knowledge available to the game now to prevent a big percentage of long term injuries.  

The main problem we appear to have is that talk about player welfare is trumping positive collective action.

imo we could cut a big percentage of the risk by tackling below the shoulder.   

14 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Erm. There have been significant medical advances over that time. 

On 12/05/2021 at 14:50, Jao 711 said:

If Tom Johnstone had concussion after the Wigan game why was he playing one week  later ?Surely that is against RFL head injury protocol and he had “another” concussion the one you “Wakey” fans and a few others don’t mention. Give your anti-Wigan” specs a polish.

There’s no anti Wigan bias from me, they’re my second team and I have quite a lot of friends with Wigan Club connections.

That said, Willie Isa caused the concussion with a swinging arm and Tom Johnstone missed a game because of the protocols. He returned and played half a match but at half time he reported that he was still feeling the effects of the original concussion and he was withdrawn from the match.

He was ruled out by the Trinity physio for 4 weeks during which he wasn’t allowed to train. On his return to training he was still suffering from the effects of the original concussion caused by Isa.

So, no Wigan bias just the facts

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

There has always been an issue and always will be but we have a lot more expert knowledge available to the game now to prevent a big percentage of long term injuries.  

The main problem we appear to have is that talk about player welfare is trumping positive collective action.

imo we could cut a big percentage of the risk by tackling below the shoulder.   

We do not allow tackling below the shoulder now do we?

The problem is that the game makes it almost impossible to prevent contact above the shoulder.

The whole nature of the game cannot help this and modern rules encourage the speed of the game to promote it, not only above the shoulder but around the knee and ankle.

tom johnstone seems the type of player to open a can of corned beef and slice his arm fully off in the process - good lad but as a previous poster said - very fragile - if he is around for the wc he may have to face storm and png back justin olam who prob wouldnt notice if had been run over by a 10 ton truck - good luck 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

There’s no anti Wigan bias from me, they’re my second team and I have quite a lot of friends with Wigan Club connections.

That said, Willie Isa caused the concussion with a swinging arm and Tom Johnstone missed a game because of the protocols. He returned and played half a match but at half time he reported that he was still feeling the effects of the original concussion and he was withdrawn from the match.

He was ruled out by the Trinity physio for 4 weeks during which he wasn’t allowed to train. On his return to training he was still suffering from the effects of the original concussion caused by Isa.

So, no Wigan bias just the facts

Johnstone didn't miss a game after the Isa incident, the 9 days gap until the Catalans games meant he didn't have to. Sadly it seems he hadn't actually recovered. it was the new RFL protocols at that point that ruled him out for 4 weeks, not the Trinity physio.

4 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

More recognition and understanding of concussion? Bigger players, bigger collisions? 

The ex RL players suffering from long term brain damage in 1950 (or 1980 or 1990) were prob just seen as the local crazies shouting in the street. 

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

We do not allow tackling below the shoulder now do we?

The problem is that the game makes it almost impossible to prevent contact above the shoulder.

The whole nature of the game cannot help this and modern rules encourage the speed of the game to promote it, not only above the shoulder but around the knee and ankle.

I think you promote a poor argument, its all about duty and care, if players who cause injury with high contact are punished harshly enough players will alter their technique, when I played amateur in the last century I picked up quite a few bans(lots) for high and dangerous tackles, I had to change my technique otherwise I was not playing, its even more important for professional players. I think the excuse making arguments are poor at best. 

3 hours ago, Wakey Til I Die said:

Johnstone didn't miss a game after the Isa incident, the 9 days gap until the Catalans games meant he didn't have to. Sadly it seems he hadn't actually recovered. it was the new RFL protocols at that point that ruled him out for 4 weeks, not the Trinity physio.

OK 

I meant missed a week and the Trinity physio enacted the RFL protocols 

Archived