Theo Fages

I believe out of contract now and there is gossip that a team in the NRL are in contact.

I would imagine there are a few teams in contact but he could become the mainstay at Catalans for the next 5/6 years if he signed for them.  Seems the obvious place if he doesn’t stay at St Helens.  

Probably a full house at Brutus as well for his debut.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I believe out of contract now and there is gossip that a team in the NRL are in contact.

I would imagine there are a few teams in contact but he could become the mainstay at Catalans for the next 5/6 years if he signed for them.  Seems the obvious place if he doesn’t stay at St Helens.  

Never entirely convinced by him. He defends well above his weight but he doesn’t always make the right choice in attack. 
I could imagine a move to 9 at Saints to allow Dodd to develop in the halves long term.

Good luck to him if he does head to the NRL but Catalans would make more sense IF he actually leaves Saints.

Woolf has said in the press today that he wants to keep Fages, though we’re likely to lose some players this off season. Coote has expressed concerns of homesickness, Naiqama is off contract and has just become a father I’m told and Bentley has been linked with Leeds. Bentley is a must keep, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Coote and Naiqama go. 

Fages is the scapegoat amongst Saints fans. He apparently doesn’t offer enough in attack, despite starting the season well. I understand what people mean but the game is generally pretty robotic and structured, it’s not an exclusively Saints or Fages thing. Fages currently suits the way the game is being played and I want him to re-sign as he’s a part of what we’ve done well over the past few years. 

3 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Woolf has said in the press today that he wants to keep Fages, though we’re likely to lose some players this off season. Coote has expressed concerns of homesickness, Naiqama is off contract and has just become a father I’m told and Bentley has been linked with Leeds. Bentley is a must keep, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Coote and Naiqama go. 

Fages is the scapegoat amongst Saints fans. He apparently doesn’t offer enough in attack, despite starting the season well. I understand what people mean but the game is generally pretty robotic and structured, it’s not an exclusively Saints or Fages thing. Fages currently suits the way the game is being played and I want him to re-sign as he’s a part of what we’ve done well over the past few years. 

There are a couple of halves at Catalans on big money that he could replace in a heartbeat. He’d get the money he is worth. The fans at the Dragons would love it too.  Very underestimated player.

He may be a bit conservative in his approach to running with ball in hand, but the calibre of his kicking on the last tackle is very high indeed and, as Waynebennettswinger rightly highlights above, his tackling is very much above par for a modern half back; a high proportion of his tackles are old-fashioned, round-the-legs ones too.

It would be a smart move for Toulouse Olympique to sign him up, if - for historical reasons - Les Dracs is unlikely.  I wonder if it is possible for a team in TOXIII's position - i.e. quite possibly in SL next year, but can certainly not guarantee it - to provisionally sign up a player, on condition they get that promotion, with the deal null and void if they don't get it.

16 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

There are a couple of halves at Catalans on big money that he could replace in a heartbeat. He’d get the money he is worth. The fans at the Dragons would love it too.  Very underestimated player.

There’s nothing to suggest he won’t get that money at Saints. The Catalans link is, I feel, a lazy one and gets peddled a lot. He’d walk in to most Super League sides with ease. 

46 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Or he could just come home to Salford and we'll throw in an annual trip home at no extra cost!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

6 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

There’s nothing to suggest he won’t get that money at Saints. The Catalans link is, I feel, a lazy one and gets peddled a lot. He’d walk in to most Super League sides with ease. 

Just now, Oxford said:

Or he could just come home to Salford and we'll throw in an annual trip home at no extra cost!

14 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Where is it being peddled other than here?  I think I could count on one hand the Catalans link in the last 4 years.  

8 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I would be amazed if the Dragons sign him due to well documented disagreements between Bernard and his father.

If he goes to France it has to be Toulouse.

Paul

He has earned the right to be earning in the upper brackets now.  

Do you have a link to these statements regarding the alleged rift?  I doubt Guasch would get in the way of good business for the Team.

3 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Where is it being peddled other than here?  I think I could count on one hand the Catalans link in the last 4 years.  

It gets peddled a lot on here that he should go back there despite there being issues between Fages and Guasch. 

Would he be Toulouse's major signing if they were promoted?

Problem is that he will have to make a decision long before he knows if they are in Super League. No time for a promoted team to build a squad.

You're all missing the point

27 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Or he could just come home to Salford  :kolobok_diablo:    and we'll throw in an annual trip chez les autres at no extra cost!

Hope we keep him, possibly contrary to what some of our fans think.

His short kicking game is crucial to us and he has mastered a high kick pinning an opponent in a corner.

There are some attacking limitations and I don't think he would cut it in the NRL (but a huge defensive strength which were critical in our last 2 Grand Finals).

If Roby goes this year, our spare cap room should go on a hooker instead.

1 hour ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It gets peddled a lot on here that he should go back there despite there being issues between Fages and Guasch. 

I’ve not seen it.  

I think an offer has been made.  Seems it wasn’t enough.

We will await the evidence of this rift meaning a move to Cats is out of the question meanwhile.

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I’ve not seen it.  

I think an offer has been made.  Seems it wasn’t enough.

We will await the evidence of this rift meaning a move to Cats is out of the question meanwhile.

They weren’t happy when he left for Salford. Guasch wasn’t happy when Julian Bousquet was banned for 4 games for nearly killing Fages in 2013. It’s long-standing. 

45 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

They weren’t happy when he left for Salford. Guasch wasn’t happy when Julian Bousquet was banned for 4 games for nearly killing Fages in 2013. It’s long-standing. 

Fages was never in the Catalans set up. He went straight from home club Pia to Salford.

Archived