Theo Fages

3 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I would be amazed if the Dragons sign him due to well documented disagreements between Bernard and his father.

If he goes to France it has to be Toulouse.

Paul

He would already have signed for toulouse if they were in superleague. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I think if TO get promoted he'll sign for them

As Scubby has said, TO may not get promotion.  Imo it’s between  them and Featherstone and may come down to points difference.  But if they did get promotion I think they’d stay up.

This will carry weight in discussions.  Fages can command good money now.  The feeling I get, with his agent not advising to sign yet, is the offer isn’t enough

I understand why there is a link to Catalan or Toulouse but from the outside it doesn't look as though Fages has any issues settling in England so whilst I'm sure it is a factor it is probably less of an issue than either wage or potential to play in big games and win things. If he is happy at Saints then you would imagine it is a case of if they offer enough then he would sign. If not then he will probably have a choice of at least 2 clubs and look at which one offers him a better deal and a better chance to win those big games. France might have a pull on him but it is unlikely that Toulouse will be a regular top club for a while (though very much could be in years to come).

If he does leave Saints I'd love to see him try and crack the NRL. I suspect that he might not have enough but he has already shown in his career that he has the mental attitude to take a risk and work hard to achieve it. I think it would be great for French RL if he succeeded.

3 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Can you expand on this? Any evidence?

All I can tell you is what I have been told by people at a couple of Elite 1 and 2 clubs that Guasch seems to believe Catalans have a divine right to sign up any promising French junior at terms very advantageous to his club. Hence why some clubs have been happier to let juniors go to Australia than Perpignan. Tony Gigot going to London as a junior was part of an effort to show Bernard players had other options (and show players Catalans were not the only game in town).

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

18 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Best halfback Saints have got.

Nowhere near i'm afraid, long way behind Lomax in several aspects.

While neither have particularly great kicking games, both are really good defenders, but Lomax has a far superior running & passing game than Fages.

While he's undoubtedly better than young Dodd right now, i've seen enough of the young lad to suggest he'll be an all round better player than Fages in the future. He already has a far superior kicking game (inc. goal kicking) and is well known in the junior teams for his ability to take on the line.

I do think Saints should try to keep Fages for the next couple of years but if he leaves it wont be a disaster for the team. Dodd has to be given his chance at some point and I suppose better to do it while he's alongside someone like Lomax who's playing as well as he is.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

14 hours ago, meast said:

He'll be replacing Sezer at Huddersfield for 2022 I reckon!

He's been offered a new contract at Saints but I understand he's looking for an NRL move rather than a different SL club. So unless he doesn't get an NRL deal someone is going to have to offer him big money to move in SL.

It wouldn’t bother me if he left Saints. He’s a good tackler but he doesn’t impress me as a 7. He very rarely takes on the line and his kicking game isn’t the best. Some Saints fan’s have said he should be moved to 9 ?, but i haven’t or don’t remember him playing at Hooker. As for scrum half we have got Lewis Dodd and id like to see him have a proper run out, instead of him coming on the field for a few mins playing at hooker. 

1 hour ago, BJW said:

All I can tell you is what I have been told by people at a couple of Elite 1 and 2 clubs that Guasch seems to believe Catalans have a divine right to sign up any promising French junior at terms very advantageous to his club. Hence why some clubs have been happier to let juniors go to Australia than Perpignan. Tony Gigot going to London as a junior was part of an effort to show Bernard players had other options (and show players Catalans were not the only game in town).

Thanks mate.  I know how Guasch used to be but Gigot went to Cronulla a a 23 year old then to London as a 24 year old.  Hardly a junior.  

I think there will be 2 half back places up for grabs at Catalan and Fages imo is perfect for the role.  If there is any animosity or ‘history’ I don’t know about it and haven’t seen any evidence.

7 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Thanks mate.  I know how Guasch used to be but Gigot went to Cronulla a a 23 year old then to London as a 24 year old.  Hardly a junior.  

I think there will be 2 half back places up for grabs at Catalan and Fages imo is perfect for the role.  If there is any animosity or ‘history’ I don’t know about it and haven’t seen any evidence.

It would be great to see Fages move to Catalans and take them on too win a few trophies. 

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Gigot played at junior (under 19? Ages did change as RFL deliberated) level at Broncos long before going to Australia. (Can name people at SOA and London who set deal up, 4 folk were involved and know the details with Gigot and myself being 2 of them. FYI he was not the first French junior to play at Broncos.) He went to Australia because no SL club contacted had any interest in him so ex SOA player used his Australian contacts. 

Been told Guasch holds a grudge for long time, hence why Greseque never went to Catalans and heard other names mentioned (though not Fages but will ask next time I'm in France) 

There seems to be an unusually high number of player OOC at the end of this year so I do think there's going to be a large number of players on the move.

At Saints alone there's 10 players - Amor, Batchelor, Bentley, Coote, Eaves, Fages, LMS, Naiquama, Nisbet & Roby. To honest out of that group there's only really Bentley, Nisbet & Roby who i'd definately like to see stay.

Batchelor, Coote, Eaves, LMS & Fages i'd be happy if they stayed but if they went the  they're replaceable.

Amor & Naiquama - Goodbye & Thanks. I don't think either bring that much to the team these days.

3 hours ago, BJW said:

Gigot played at junior (under 19? Ages did change as RFL deliberated) level at Broncos long before going to Australia. (Can name people at SOA and London who set deal up, 4 folk were involved and know the details with Gigot and myself being 2 of them. FYI he was not the first French junior to play at Broncos.) He went to Australia because no SL club contacted had any interest in him so ex SOA player used his Australian contacts. 

Been told Guasch holds a grudge for long time, hence why Greseque never went to Catalans and heard other names mentioned (though not Fages but will ask next time I'm in France) 

This is what Wiki have him down for.  The age you mention would be just before Catalans.  Could be wrong though so if you could clarify?

I thought he was 20 when at Catalans as I remember him first arriving as I was living down there.  

Years Team Pld T G FG P
2010–11 Catalans Dragons 25 1 3 0 10
2011–12 Toulouse Olympique 9 5 0 0 20
2012–13 SO Avignon 18 5 21 2 64
2013 Cronulla Sharks 0 0 0 0 0
2014 London Broncos 2 0 4 0 8
2014–15 SO Avignon 15 7 15 2 60
2015–19 Catalans Dragons 117 49 52 13 313
2020 Toronto Wolfpack 4 0 0 0 0
2020–21 Wakefield Trinity 7 1 6 0 16
2021 SO Avignon 0 0 0 0 0
2021– Toulouse Olympique 0 0 0 0

2 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

This is what Wiki have him down for.  The age you mention would be just before Catalans.  Could be wrong though so if you could clarify?

I thought he was 20 when at Catalans as I remember him first arriving as I was living down there.  

Years Team Pld T G FG P
2010–11 Catalans Dragons 25 1 3 0 10
2011–12 Toulouse Olympique 9 5 0 0 20
2012–13 SO Avignon 18 5 21 2 64
2013 Cronulla Sharks 0 0 0 0 0
2014 London Broncos 2 0 4 0 8
2014–15 SO Avignon 15 7 15 2 60
2015–19 Catalans Dragons 117 49 52 13 313
2020 Toronto Wolfpack 4 0 0 0 0
2020–21 Wakefield Trinity 7 1 6 0 16
2021 SO Avignon 0 0 0 0 0
2021– Toulouse Olympique 0 0 0 0

If you have read his Wiki entry then if you look at 'Early career' you will see the line "Gigot spent time in the youth team at London Broncos.". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Gigot

Will try and find some stats but given changes at the club doubt they will be available, if ever compiled. Could always try this person to ask if he has any stats -https://www.rugby-league.com/get_involved/coach/england_talent_pathway/contacts  

It was before he signed for Catalans and I know there were some eyebrows raised when he signed for them but won't say more (or why Broncos didn't offer him a deal at that time).

BTW the list of teams is incomplete as he also played a game for London Skolars (Oxford away) in 2014 on dual reg.

12 hours ago, BJW said:

If you have read his Wiki entry then if you look at 'Early career' you will see the line "Gigot spent time in the youth team at London Broncos.". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Gigot

Will try and find some stats but given changes at the club doubt they will be available, if ever compiled. Could always try this person to ask if he has any stats -https://www.rugby-league.com/get_involved/coach/england_talent_pathway/contacts  

It was before he signed for Catalans and I know there were some eyebrows raised when he signed for them but won't say more (or why Broncos didn't offer him a deal at that time).

BTW the list of teams is incomplete as he also played a game for London Skolars (Oxford away) in 2014 on dual reg.

I know him mate.  Will do.

18 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

There seems to be an unusually high number of player OOC at the end of this year so I do think there's going to be a large number of players on the move.

At Saints alone there's 10 players - Amor, Batchelor, Bentley, Coote, Eaves, Fages, LMS, Naiquama, Nisbet & Roby. To honest out of that group there's only really Bentley, Nisbet & Roby who i'd definately like to see stay.

Batchelor, Coote, Eaves, LMS & Fages i'd be happy if they stayed but if they went the  they're replaceable.

Amor & Naiquama - Goodbye & Thanks. I don't think either bring that much to the team these days.

We've 14 at warrington,  im guessing it was in line with the TV deal, makes sense to align it with that if youve no idea if the main funding is going to stop suddenly

On 14/05/2021 at 06:53, Lowdesert said:

As Scubby has said, TO may not get promotion.  Imo it’s between  them and Featherstone and may come down to points difference.  But if they did get promotion I think they’d stay up.

This will carry weight in discussions.  Fages can command good money now.  The feeling I get, with his agent not advising to sign yet, is the offer isn’t enough

You are right, it will come down to the difference in points in the play off final 😉

If he doesnt go to the NRL then he will stay at Saints, life isnt always about money, he will be on a decent wage with a better deal on offer at saints playing behind a strong pack and the best team in the league in both attack and defence.

I dont see how any other SL club would be attractive.

Archived