NRL Match Thread - Round 10 - 2021 - Magic Round

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another theory:

They are following the usual NRL pattern of a massive but short overreaction which generally is effective. Then it will stop. They chose this weekend so the Judiciary can hand out a lot of 1-week suspensions which will all be out of the way before State of Orifice starts.

When I said the Knights defence was a shambles I forgot that the yardstick for a complete shambles is the Bronco's, thus the Knights were merely inept despite what their own coach says. 

Welcome to touch Rugby League, inevitable in these days of widespread litigation I suppose, going back to the first tackle to award a penalty at the end of a set is really beyond a joke. Clubs will instruct players to cut out anything around the head eventually but it won't be pretty till it finally sinks in. Meanwhile us dinosaurs who used to enjoy the physicality of the game will just have to shake our heads in disgust or is that banned too!

First up wirth a gripe, the  Brisbane v Manly game was moved from SKY Arena to SkY Mix which of course means no HD even though FTA and to think some on this board were calpping like a performing seal when details of the SKY FTA offer were speculated on. I pay for Sky Sports HD I do not mind if the game is simulcast on both channels but SKY are making a habit of this after the challenge cup last week.

Back to the Footy, How on earth did this Newcastle beat Ricky's Raiders last week. Not since Moses parted the red sea have so many gaps opened up in the middle of the park in the opening 20 minutes. No wonder Adam O'Brien was blowing up in the press conference and though its true that there is no Mitchell Pearce or Kaylin Ponga but you have the right to expect more and for a club which represents the Hunter region to have "Woody" take up residence in three of the last 10 years let's down the clubs devoted following.

I expected Manly to beat Brisbane but not to that extent, Clearly the new rules of the game are impacting badly on the sport. First you have it speeded up so the collisions in a collision sport become more intense and the number of injuries increases shortening the careers of NRL players so League HQ takes action issuing a directive about head high tackles which is causing accidental contact to result in the liberal use of the sin bin which is affecting games and causing blowouts such as occured once Tyson Gamble rolled the dice once too often and was swiftly followed to the bin bu another Bronco leaving 8 mins or so as 13 plays 11.

On a more positive note who is the best Number 1,  Ryan Papenhuysen, James Tedesco or Tom Trbojevic. I am opting for the former two rather than the latter, I will explain all, It is harder to be a standout player in a good side than to be a standout in an ordinary side. Tom Turbo is a standout in an ordinary side the other two in perennial contenders.

Jason Saab, Over a year ago ther last time I was at a Rugby League game was at Woollongong for SGI v Wests and the locals were lamenting the departure of Saab from SGI and you can see why. He is one for the future.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Tommy Turbo a few years ago on here just after his debut , I said he would be a great.

Yes it is easier to stand-out in an ordinary team , however what was Manly's record at the start of the season when he was absent

As Matty Johns (yes sometimes he talks sense) states carrying the Northern beaches on his back.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Tommy Ts problem is his body, he's just too injury prone to be the man you base your team around. It's sad but also a fact, you cannot guarantee he's going to out on the field when you most need him no matter how much you try to manage his training. He's not the first player to be in that situation it's always been a facet of the game especially in the latter part of a players career unfortunately he's in the early stages of his and as it seems to be muscular problems it's unlikely to improve with time.

Not a very magical start tbh . Two pretty one sided games overshadowed by the edict to  microanalyse every tackle and piece of contact to find anything vaguely outside the rules and to make rugby league more like morris dancing , and to send as many people from the field after years of edicts to , err , try not  to send anyone from the field . Schuster can count himself lucky to evade action for having a slight rip in his shirt . The match review committee will nevertheless pick this up

Bulldogs v Raiders preview:

This is a battle between a team anchored to the bottom of the ladder and a team rushing to meet them. The Raiders have fallen in a deep dark hole lately with off field issues apparently tearing the team apart from within. The Bulldogs have been indescribably ordinary this year under new coach Trent Barrett. If you are in the UK the 6am start might very well see you turn over in bed for another hour and a half’s kip.

Of course it might turn out to be a better contest than the two one sided wins of the round so far...

Sharks v Souths preview:

The Rabbitohs showed last week against the Storm how much they struggle without half Adam Reynolds.
The Sharks were absolutely outclassed by the Panthers.

Neither team bothered the scorers last week, so it will be interesting to see which of them bounces back best from the humiliation. The Rabbitohs probably have a bit extra in their tank to get the win in this one.

Roosters v Cowboys preview:

The shattered Roosters couldn't beat the Eels last week as they didn't have much of the ball.
The Cowboys showed some good traits in beating the Broncos by a single point.

Despite their injury concersns, the Roosters should have enough to beat the  Cowboys in the last game of the day.

Archived